So do you like your MG ZS EV?

I'm not a car nut. Our main reason for getting the ZS over the MG5 was that it's cheaper in Portugal and we, foolishly, thought it would come sooner. :ROFLMAO: We wanted an electric car and this was the only real option that suited us at the time.

It's a bigger car than I've been accustomed to drive before and this has contributed to me crunching it a couple of times already. It's going into the repair shop this month and the price is somewhere between ouch and worth claiming on the insurance.... the worst place! I'll get used to it - that's not the car's fault, though, but I do find myself wondering if the 5 would have been easier (the 4 wasn't even being spoken of when we ordered the ZS).

Having said that, it's great for what we use it for and the roads we drive it on - lots of unpaved roads where we live, so the extra height is really good. I love the range it has and the comparable price. It does what I want it to and it works fine. I have gotten used to the annoying features. One annoying thing is the reversing camera - it's a really weird view and is only really useful within the green to red zone - everything else isn't what it seems to be! I only use the MG pilot when I'm on quiet motorways - so no issues with the regen thing (which is really silly!). Our car has the V2L, which though I haven't in earnest I know will be useful one day, for sure.

For me, this is the first and, probably, last new car we'll buy. I want to run it into the ground and I bought it to do the job of a car, that's all.

Do I love it? No. If I'd bought a car I love I would have spent too much and I'd get bored driving it around my private race track that I'd have to build because I was too afraid to take it on the road!! Car's that I love are driven by other people with money they don't know what to do with (or debt!). For me, a car is a car.... and the ZS is a car that does what I need it to quite well for a fair price. I'll keep it a long time (assuming I don't write it off.....).

Yes it does auto-brake, because that's one of my annoyances! If a car in front turns and you want to accelerate past then it tends to slam the brake on even though there's room to pass. Happened today and is so annoying.
well mine doesn’t seem too?…just have the noise notice and the yellow thing come up on the dash…I have nearly run into the back of a car (messing about trying to get the phone on, pressing them small little arrows) how I didn’t I’ll never know, don’t think you would have got a razor blade in between the cars..

My best mate has the Volvo xc40 EV, with the double motor (they don’t do them anymore) and it’s like sh*t off a shovel..really nice car, but for £70k or whatever it was, it should be..

I also really like my car but as everyone else it seems I have slight niggles. The reflection of heater vents in wing mirrors(probably could be cured/improved by use of Matt black paint or tape). The car still reminds me of overdue service(only there now as I decided to wait until 1st service). It doesn't handle like my Lexus did but then again its much easier to get in and out of. 9000 miles of trouble free motoring,lower running costs and more practical than my previous car, I'd buy another!

A couple of slight niggles I've noticed in my first 2 days of ownership....

Is there anyway of getting the car to remember the driving mode you were in on the previous journey? It always reverts back to normal.

And also do the main headlights not come on when the auto wipers are persistently being triggered?

Is there anyway of getting the car to remember the driving mode you were in on the previous journey? It always reverts back to normal.
Sorry - NO.
Default mode is normal and Regen level 3.
Which I use all of the time TBH.
If you are using normal but require full power to overtake a slow moving vehicle, if you floor the GO pedal the car will give you the maximum power that the car car produce instantly.
The same as selecting sports mode really.
I find I can return the same efficiency in normal mode as in Eco mode ?.
Not sure if I understand the question, but the
Auto wipers and headlights are on their own individual sensors, so appear to work completely independently of each other.
Even in heavy rain 🌧️ conditions there is no guarantee that the auto head lights will be triggered I have found.
Auto wipers tend to have a mind of their own when it comes to choosing the correct speed to suit the conditions.
One wipe then followed by three or four fast wipes, then perm any one from three 🤣.
Sometimes switching them off and then back on again helps clears the confusion.

Most cars with auto lights and wipers turn the headlights on when it's raining and the auto wipers are active. It's a useful feature.

I have my lights set to auto, and they do come on when the light level drops, though not necessarily when the auto wipers activate. Just depends on the circumstances.

I’ve had my ZS Trophy LR for six months now, and I enjoy driving it. I worked in the motor trade for 20 years (1966 - 1986) so I’ve driven a huge range of vehicles, and a car was just transport to me - until I got my first electric car!
I love driving electric, and having started with a Zoe, I quickly got used to software quirks! All cars have “features” you just have to get around them. The MG is roomy, but not as big as a typical SUV, it charges well, either CCS, granny or type 2, and is comfortable in the front or the rear.
I’ve even sussed out MG pilot, and have been cautiously using it on motorways 😁

Do I love it? No, it’s a car!

But I love driving it! 👍

Certainly like it.
I've delved into the settings enough to get all the driving "aids" set up the way I want them (mostly off). It's comfortable, easy to drive, quick enough, efficient enough, acceptable charging speed.
Do I love it? No. It doesn't have the character that my old Volt did, or the fun factor of my old MX5. It's a nice tool, but a tool nonetheless.

I loved my Gen 1 ZS ev and if it had had a longer range I would have kept it.
I bought the MG4 instead of the Gen 2 ZS for two reasons, firstly the long delivery times and secondly I just didn't like the look of the front grill on the new one.
I may consider going back to the ZS when the next one comes out on the new platform, that looks like a taller version of the MG4 at the front.

After 4 months of driving I can very confidently say I like it.
Some of the things I like about it would be probably the same for any EV: how easy and comfortable it is to drive. Never really noticed the level of noise and vibrations from the engine in ICE car till I started driving EV.
I like the size and driving position. There are definitely reasons why SUVs are so popular. Very practical.

Love the skyroof. Have it opened quite often. Blind closed only when parked to keep the heat away.

Like it how it looks and feels inside. Much softer and premium than I would expect for this price range. Cheapest plastics are out of sight and out of touch (door inserts for example)

There are of course some aspects of this car that I dislike or would change.
Infoteitment screen really should be higher. Above vents. Like in MG 4.
Not a fan of pleather sits. They feel horrible in hot weather. Leather sits in my old Fiesta were so much nicer. And aged really well. Again would prefer sits from MG 4 (mix of cloth and pleather).
Would gladly got rid of start/stop button. Really liked "bum on the sit" activation in MG 4.

My verdict after 9 months is pretty much as it was after the first week:

The software is awful including the assist systems. It basically should not have appeared on a production product.

It looks awkward.

The rest of the car is fine, the basics are solid.

I wouldn't chose to have a crossover type car, but it's all there was at the time.

I'd rather be driving an Ioniq 6 if I had the choice.

Ultimately, I'd rather not have a car at all, but needs must.

I must also say, I dislike the round drive, the times I’ve think, I’ve put it in drive and nothing, then look down and it’s still in neutral, I had a Merc before and it had the drive on the side of the steering wheel, much better idea, I also dislike the front of the MG4…ugly imo, I know, no pleasing some people…

no back light in the cabin?

Last edited:
We like our Mk2 ZS LR Trophy in summary.

Things I'd change or want in the next EV. Yes I'm not going back to ICE.

Much faster charging, the charging is slow with 800V systems now becoming a lot more easier to get and even the MG4 getting 125+ charging.

Memory seats because in our household we share the car.

I'd really like a faster motor, I do like to hit it at times and I had a Kona before so that 200bhp was fun and this feels a bit of a downgrade. I know what I was getting into but yeah next one will have to be a twin motor.

Motorway efficiency, again came from the likes of ioniq and kona that would easily get 4miles per kW. On a summers day with no AC at 70mph I still get 3.5 with ACC on.

On the topic of ACC, regeneration should work with it on!!

Screen is fine for me mostly but now that other software systems in cars have stuff like YouTube and what not. A few new apps would be nice to have. I have an Android so I can get YouTube on it but it should be standard.

Sunglass holder, very small thing but it bugs me.

Automatic boot and a OEM frunk solution. That empty space makes me sad.

Matrix lights

Bigger wheels to fill in the big arches, wheels feel a bit small

Things I'd keep

The cars size is perfect, not too big and not too small.

The ride height is amazing, maybe bigger wheels but I know that would eat into efficiency

Pan roof I'd really want them to bring back in the next version of the ZS. We were lucky to have it in ours.

The paint us amazing!! We have the tri-coat red and it's so damn shiny even after a year and 10k on the clock

Regardless of all of this. We still love the car and until we don't get an absolute cracking exchange deal we are not letting it go.

Nice to hear from you again @DrJohnny Fever - I also have a silver ZS, and I love it. It’s relaxing to drive, I like the ride height, the boot size, the pan roof, the 360 camera, and not having to visit a petrol station. The infotainment is a bit pants at times, but generally okay.

I am not a fan of the vinyl - oops vegan leather seats, but I think lots of car manufacturers are using similar now, believing it to be more eco friendly. I am not convinced. I would have happily paid extra for proper leather.

All in all, I think it’s a great car for the money.
I agree with all your observations about the ZS EV LR. I love it overall but have purchased fabric front seat covers to overcome the sweaty effect of the “vegan leather” seats

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom