So do you like your MG ZS EV?

Happy with my ZS Trophy. This is the best charge I’ve had using granny top up charge for overnight stay, set off journey was home Zappi charge at 304miles 204 miles best yet. Put a smile on my face

Attachments

• IMG_7113.jpeg
    IMG_7113.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 63
Well I really like my ZS EV. It ended up costing me (bought in Dec 2021) 15,500€ and a battered old diesel van.

I have done about 17,500 kms in it up to now and apart from a little mishap which started off as my fault but amplified hugely by the MG garage, it has been perfect.

For 90% of the time she is charged up overnight on cheap rate electric and does all the journeys we want/need. She drives well, handles well, overtakes like a good 'un.

Nothing more to say except I believe the car is designed and built well, but MG France and MG Europe don't have a clue.

So to mitigate this I plan to keep the car forever but will do my own serving and repairs.

So far enjoying the ride in my MG ZS 2020. Actually look forward to any trip just for the novelty of it. Like the high seating position.

Things not so good but not too irritating - upholstery has a cheap plasticky feel after my old Ford C-Max fabric, charge point is just a poor design (since addressed in later models) with squatting required to operate, screen is too far away for sat nav - preferred my old stick on Tom Tom, much smaller screen but allowed safe eyeline viewing, would have preferred a boot without the drop and lip as I often have heavy loads to lift in and out. Having said all that, none of these were deal breakers and if I can afford to upgrade in a few years, they maybe things I can look for.

Do I like it? I bought the exclusive 2020 model ZS EV in white. I worked in the motor trade for 20 years, working aith Audi, BMW Merc, VW, Hyundai and Skoda changing careers in 2020. What can I say about the MG, well
PROS - The spec you get in this model is class, way above what you would get in a premium range, VW, BMW, Audi, Merc for the price. Panoramic roof, MG Pilot, auto cruise, blindspot, rear camera, pdc, sport, normal, eco mode, the KERS one pedal driving - and the Cost to run, knocks the socks off my previous Saab 93 and it was very economical, and way ahead for the Audi S3 I had before, major plus! (But it ain't not Sudi S3) I miss that performance and the BoSe sound system. But costs for it.

CONS - No auto climate, really miss that! the lane assist is very jerky, KERS not working via cruise is not great, the infotainment system and speakers is very poor, even compared to the likes of a ford system, sound quality is not the sharpest, only drivers electic seat and the steering adjustment is poor, the overall build quality I'd rate a 6 out of 10, very boomy when hitting pot holes or over speed ramps. And of course the range - 189 miles to a full charge, requires alot of planning.

All in all its practical, got some decent gadgets and does what it says on the tin... just hope reliability stays up, but at least has the 7 year warranty... another major plus!

Last edited:
I don’t know whether to put what I like about the car, or what I dislike about it, maybe both…I like the pan-roof…I dislike the lip when the seats are down (pain getting the golf bag in) I like I don’t have to fish the key out my pocket to open it…I dislike the boot isn’t electric…I like that it leaves most cars at the traffic lights…I dislike that the air vent shows in the wing mirror (little round silver rings) I like that it does what it says it should on a run (268ish miles on normal, gen 3) dislike the warning that there’s a car stopped in front of me ( isn’t it supposed to brake for you?, if you get to close) dislike there’s no cubbyholes, for change etc, dislike them silly little arrows to change from radio to my phone music, (much too small) dislike that it will change from my phone music to the radio, for no reason at all, dislike the sh*t 3d cameras..dislike the info system is too far down and I have to take my eyes off the road, normally to get my phone music back..nothing major I know…
Why do you have to fish in your pocket to unlock it? If you have the keys about your person as you approach the car it unlocks when you try the handle. Even gen1 did that.

Absolutely love my ZS EV LR in Silver. Love the quiet drive, the oomph is there when needed. Love the fact that during the summer I can charge it up most of the time using the power from my solar panels at zero cost to me via the Zappi home charger. Its big enough for my needs and the ride height is perfect for the older person like myself, easy to get in and out, the panoramic sunroof is great and makes the car feel larger than it is. At present I am averaging 4.4 kwh which in effect is giving mee 300 miles+ on a full charge. All my driving is on normal settting and Kers on 3.
I waited a long time for the car ( it was ordered in December 21 and I finally got in September 22) but I would definitely say the wait was worth it.
To anyone still waiting, I would sya hang in there as it will be worth it in the end........

Why do you have to fish in your pocket to unlock it? If you have the keys about your person as you approach the car it unlocks when you try the handle. Even gen1 did that.
No, I said, I like that I don’t have too, fish in my pocket to get the key..

So I’ve had my ZS EV LR since November, can’t really say that I like it, I don’t know why, I just don’t, I like that it does what it says on the tin about mileage, I’ve got around 268 on a run, if I sit around 60mph…would I buy another MG…probably not, unless they brought something out of this world and even then, I wouldn’t buy it from the MG up the road…i did go off and look at BYD cars, which I think I‘ll look at buying the next time around..as I said, unless something better turns up…so am I the only one that doesn’t like the car?
Had to wait 14 months for my silver ZS to arrive (must be a shortage of silver paint in 🇨🇳) but am generally happy with it. Like most of the other comments, a few niggles - no regen on ACC being the biggest, followed by touch screen slow response - but like the panoramic roof, ride height, smooth ride, acceleration, roominess of the cabin. Overall pretty good value for money and pretty pleased with the range (250ish on motorway runs). Am off to Belgium next month so will see how en route charging goes 🤞.

So I’ve had my ZS EV LR since November, can’t really say that I like it, I don’t know why, I just don’t, I like that it does what it says on the tin about mileage, I’ve got around 268 on a run, if I sit around 60mph…would I buy another MG…probably not, unless they brought something out of this world and even then, I wouldn’t buy it from the MG up the road…i did go off and look at BYD cars, which I think I‘ll look at buying the next time around..as I said, unless something better turns up…so am I the only one that doesn’t like the car?
I'm 1200 miles in and completely agree! The car itself is pretty good. There are just so many bits that are just plain stupid. Mainly with the software which just feels kind of half arsed. It looks nice but functionally it's a bit rubbish. It's missing so many things that my old 2019 Nissan Leaf had which is a cheaper and much older car.

I'm in a 4 year lease contract (based on my two test drives which were great but seemingly very different to driving full time!)

My verdict after 3 years and 50k miles in a Mk1 ZS EV is - it's great. Never let me down. Range isnt all that but I knew that when I bought it, so hardly something to blame on the car. 3 years ago the choice wasnt as good. It's comfortable, easy to drive etc. Best car I'd had until I got the MG4 a few months ago - now that is. Or maybe I just believe in looking for the good things in everything!

I'm 1200 miles in and completely agree! The car itself is pretty good. There are just so many bits that are just plain stupid. Mainly with the software which just feels kind of half arsed. It looks nice but functionally it's a bit rubbish. It's missing so many things that my old 2019 Nissan Leaf had which is a cheaper and much older car.
For one it kept a log of whenever you charged and drove and its efficiency so I could look back as far as I wanted (I'm a bit of a sucker for a bit of data)

I keep having CarPlay drop out or just not connect on the MG (never had the issue with my Nissan and yes I've tried doing a full reset on the car 😔 )

I kind of miss the auto dimming rear view mirror that the Nissan had but to be honest haven't done a huge amount of night time driving so hasn't grated on me too much yet - will see how it is in winter

The speed limiter on the MG is all but useless with how it doesn't remember the settings for it.

The Nissan would auto lock the doors when you got so far away from it. This may be me being petty but it's a nice feature that I miss! Also related the range on the key is really short. I find that it won't work 20 metres away without anything in the way. The old Nissan however would work at least 30-35m away, same for my partner's Ford Focus.

I find that it won't work 20 metres away without anything in the way. The old Nissan however would work at least 30-35m away, same for my partner's Ford Focus.
True, but if you have the Ismart App you can lock / unlock the car from miles away if you want.
Pretty good range I would say 🤣 .

True, but if you have the Ismart App you can lock / unlock the car from miles away if you want.
Pretty good range I would say 🤣 .
Assuming you have mobile signal that is! And pressing a button on a key in your pocket is better than the 20+ seconds it takes to open the app, wait for it to refresh, put in the code and unlock!
That said I have been saved by the app on one occasion before

Love it after owning it 32 months, I got the 2020 Gen 1 Excite model as quite frankly all the bells & whistles would be wasted on my wife & I. I like the checked cloth seats over the "leather" seats which seem more supportive & comfortable than the "leather" option.
We don't do a lot of mileage since retiring so the range is more than adequate for our usage. Some neighbours really like it but poo poo the range of it but when you ask them about their usage/mileage requirements it's usually well within the range of the Gen 1 EV nevermind the Gen 2 models with lots more range.
The FUD they see in MSM & online seems to be embedded in them. :rolleyes:

I agree with all your observations about the ZS EV LR. I love it overall but have purchased fabric front seat covers to overcome the sweaty effect of the “vegan leather” seats
Part of the reason I bought the base model car was this - I actually didn't want a mobile greenhouse with plastic seats - not in Portugal where it's 40C today! I have added a back seat organiser from Ali-express (£10 for 2) to make up for the lack of that on the base model. The EU model comes with roof bars - so all good there. There is very little else that I can justify the extra cost. I can quite easily fold the mirrors in on my own! The automatic window wipers... well they are sometimes a pain anyway - I can easily flip a switch myself. Bigger wheels? They reduce the range! Maybe the blind spot detection would be nice?

Love my Sept 2022 TCLR as it is a delight to drive. Not bothered about most of the gimmicks apart from setting speed warning on 20mph for the up coming speed restrictions. Overall having now addressed creaks and rattles to a great extent thanks to this forum it feels like a nice solid car. 12.500m so far and look forward to the second year.

I like our ZS LR Trophy, 12 months in and 9000 on the clock.
It’s so comfy and great ride height.
If I had to pick a niggle it would be no dual zone heating, but then I guess that’s for dearer cars, yes the media screen is to low but no biggie.
One thing I would like is a little tray in the mid console armrest storage for cards and coins that could be removed to get to the storage underneath, but that’s just me. Love the red colour, nice to have the pano roof but wouldn’t have paid extra for it. Our first EV and no regrets.
7 year warranty not to be sniffed at either.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom