So OTA update is a lie?

This is what happens when MG don't give out clear information.......I wonder what else we'll find that's wrong. Doesn't sound very promising if you've ordered a Trophy Connect LR , does it.

This is what happens when MG don't give out clear information.......I wonder what else we'll find that's wrong. Doesn't sound very promising if you've ordered a Trophy Connect LR , does it.
What does OTA have to do with buying the Connect version? All new ZS EVs have OTA support. I would have thought it was always only going to be for the head unit and not the entire car. I am not surprised. If you want OTA that supports most of the systems in the car, sell your MG and spend £60k on a Tesla. Or stop complaining and enjoy what is an excellent EV at half the price.

I think the point is people have been missold the car I for one was told the car is capable of OTA updates all systems just like Teslas and other brands that are doing the same so you don't have to visit the dealer as much.
dealers was also told this. now when people are asking for updates it's sorry we was told the wrong information at leat if we was given the right information in the 1st place you can make that decision and go elsewhere just makes me think what next?
Screenshot_20220503_013057.jpg

Trust tends to be hard to gain and easy to lose. Given that MG in it's present incarnation are a new company with a rather limited history vs the likes of Toyota & Ford they are still building trust. The truth of this statement is easily verified simply by asking friends who don't own one whether they would buy an MG or any other made-in-China car. My impression is that MG are doing a good job of building trust by producing cars which are demonstrating good build quality, durability and which perform as well as their peers. Being caught out making what at best are ambiguous statements or at worst false claims has the potential to damage the trust that they have acquired to date. Having said this, I would be pretty happy to find that the ZS which I have on order does not support OTA updating of anything but the entertainment system as such would be a security risk without much benefit.

What does OTA have to do with buying the Connect version? All new ZS EVs have OTA support. I would have thought it was always only going to be for the head unit and not the entire car. I am not surprised. If you want OTA that supports most of the systems in the car, sell your MG and spend £60k on a Tesla. Or stop complaining and enjoy what is an excellent EV at half the price.
I don't want a Tesla at 60K. But when one of MG's main dealers was led to believe at the press launch that OTA was on all the car updates and then recently was told by an engineer at MG that it was only for the infotainment screen, it shows that MG are not giving out clear information and are therefore misleading the buying public.

To be fair, the press release does say "Owners will receive any new software updates, including new features and improvements". It doesn't mention firmware updates, which would be updates to the onboard computers and operating systems.

Also, that's one thing that puts me off a Tesla, having a "loose cannon" like Elon Musk being able to manipulate the car which you paid good money for. When I buy a car, I expect to own all of the car, which is why I have an android phone rather than an i-phone.

From what i can see, the ID.4 starts at £36.550 and the ID.3 and ID.4 can be fully updated OTA.

So if you want full vehicle OTA, you do not need to buy a badly assembled tesla for £60.000.

To be fair, the press release does say "Owners will receive any new software updates, including new features and improvements". It doesn't mention firmware updates, which would be updates to the onboard computers and operating systems.

Also, that's one thing that puts me off a Tesla, having a "loose cannon" like Elon Musk being able to manipulate the car which you paid good money for. When I buy a car, I expect to own all of the car, which is why I have an android phone rather than an i-phone.
Agreed. I dislike Tesla and Musk particularly. Their idea that your car is merely a software platform is abhorrent. The entire philosophy behind Tesla is to turn the car into a taxi, not something to enjoy driving.

He has built in the ability for Tesla to do anything at anytime to the car without the the owner being able to prevent it.
I think the point is people have been missold the car I for one was told the car is capable of OTA updates all systems just like Teslas and other brands that are doing the same so you don't have to visit the dealer as much.
dealers was also told this. now when people are asking for updates it's sorry we was told the wrong information at leat if we was given the right information in the 1st place you can make that decision and go elsewhere just makes me think what next? View attachment 8216
I do not think this is mis-sold by MG. It is poorly educated dealer staff who don’t understand the first thing about an EV and it’s technology.

The problem is, a lot of people ordering EVs don’t understand either. There is a very steep learning curve that everyone has to go through, that’s both dealers and customers.

My Jaguar iPace was sold to me with OTA update capability. This was not provided at all during my ownership of the car. Jaguar had mid-informed an already confused dealer network about it. After 4 years they are starting to get it sorted, but it certainly does not cover all systems in the car.

We have to remember that EVs are still in their infancy and everyone has a lot to learn.

Last edited:
I knew that it was only the infotainment, as it is explained in a bit more detail on the Danish MG site.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what "infotainment" covers.

Could be, that all they can do is do bugfixes for the radio, navigation, music streaming services and so on.

But...When i drove my car home the day we picked it up, it was being a bit silly with the navigation, so i naturally did the "Press home button 10 seconds" and when the infotainment system rebooted, the car went into a state of panic, telling me that all of the safety systems were offline.

This lead me to believe that the infotainment also encompasses the driver assist systems, and if this is correct, then they might also be able to fix bugs in those, with the OTA.

But then again....Have anyone that has a 2022 ZS EV ever had their car updated in any way OTA.

I have not seen any updates yet.

From what i can see, the ID.4 starts at £36.550 and the ID.3 and ID.4 can be fully updated OTA.

So if you want full vehicle OTA, you do not need to buy a badly assembled tesla for £60.000.
Then go buy a VW.

Most people of here don’t even own an MG ZS EV yet. Suggest you all cancel your orders (there is a thread on doing exactly that on the forum), go elsewhere and leave MG ZS EV “owners” to use the site for positive contributions and questions.

I knew that it was only the infotainment, as it is explained in a bit more detail on the Danish MG site.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what "infotainment" covers.

Could be, that all they can do is do bugfixes for the radio, navigation, music streaming services and so on.

But...When i drove my car home the day we picked it up, it was being a bit silly with the navigation, so i naturally did the "Press home button 10 seconds" and when the infotainment system rebooted, the car went into a state of panic, telling me that all of the safety systems were offline.

This lead me to believe that the infotainment also encompasses the driver assist systems, and if this is correct, then they might also be able to fix bugs in those, with the OTA.

But then again....Have anyone that has a 2022 ZS EV ever had their car updated in any way OTA.

I have not seen any updates yet.
You are correct that these systems may go through the entertainment system, but it is possible that they may not be able to update those systems.

Being able to update critical systems of the car OTA is fraught with danger and the possibility of hackers doing something to your car.

Agreed. I dislike Tesla and Musk particularly. Their idea that your car is merry a software platform is abhorrent. The entire philosophy behind Tesla is to turn the car into a taxi, not something to enjoy driving.

He has built in the ability for Tesla to do anything at anytime to the car without the the owner being able to prevent it.

Yeah, the part where Tesla is able to disable features without the owners consent after purchase, is really insane.

This guy bought a used model S, that had FSD but Tesla did an audit and found that they had misconfigured the car to have this feature even though it had never been paid for, so they disabled it and told the costumer to pay to have the feature activated.

Then go buy a VW.

Most people of here don’t even own an MG ZS EV yet. Suggest you all cancel your orders (there is a thread on doing exactly that on the forum), go elsewhere and leave MG ZS EV “owners” to use the site for positive contributions and questions.
I have gotten my ZS EV, and even though i knew it was only infotainment, i still feel a bit disappointed, my car was delivered with maps for the navigation that are almost 2 years old, and MG is not able to tell me how to get them updated at all, and they tout the OTA feature, but to my knowledge has not yet released a single update via OTA.

By the way, who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else where they can be or what they can say .... ?

I think there is a positive side to this latest news. I was wary of the OTA claim as after messing up the BMS software update on the Gen1 ZS EV it was going to be worrying to get up one day and discover MG had messed up the car.

I have gotten my ZS EV, and even though i knew it was only infotainment, i still feel a bit disappointed, my car was delivered with maps for the navigation that are almost 2 years old, and MG is not able to tell me how to get them updated at all, and they tout the OTA feature, but to my knowledge has not yet released a single update via OTA.

By the way, who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else where they can be or what they can say .... ?
I am me. You say what you want :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom