So OTA update is a lie?

I think the map updates will be downloaded to a Usb stick.
Yes, that seems likely, given the large size of the maps database. Though 4+ GB would not strain most home internet + WiFi connections these days. And you are still likely having to download the data to put on the USB stick via your internet connection. I guess they don't want the car to be immobilised for the duration of a long download, which might have to be restarted a few times.

Edit: and in some cases, the car might not be in a cosy garage, but out in the rain or snow; better to do the really slow and potentially unreliable part indoors.

So you do not update your mobile phone either ?

Yes, the manufacturer can do stuff, but hey....Your car is connected to the internet via the 4G connectivity, so it might be in your very best interest to update the car to patch potential problems.

With a car connected to the internet all the time, i can honestly say, that the least of my concerns is what the manufacturer is going to do, i am a lot more "worried" what hackers can do.

Imagine a Russian hacker suddenly able to shut down and "wipe" all MG cars...Imagine the chaos, if he attacks cars which are on cell networks in specific (Perceived by Russia) hostile countries. Suddenly not a single MG car in most of the world is able to move.

Or maybe only the cars with owners that did not update the firmware out of fear, what the manufacturer migh do will suffer, while the rest is protected.

From what i have gathered, the infotainment is running android (behind the UI) and last time i checked android devices need constant updating to patch newly found problems. (As do IOS, windows and every other OS)

You are fully entitled to just press cancel every time there is an update, but if you do it out of fear of what the manufacturer has changed, just remember that while you might not have to worry about that, you will need to worry about what everyone else can do to your unpatched car.

The world is not black/white, and every decision you make, has some (potential) good's and bad's down the road., and you need to decide if you trust the manufacturer more or less than the rest of the world, so to speak.
I think the problem is more related to the changes a forced update makes. In the end, we've all been doing them on our other devices.

When is this update and how will we know please?
You would probably get a message like this
Screenshot_20220506_143929.jpg

Wow, not been on here for a couple of weeks, but if the OTA updates really are only for the infotainment system, that is very disappointing.

From asking a mk1 owner with connectivity in other continent, I thought theirs could do some ECU updates, so thought surely it would be possible in the mk2 uk version.

Regarding security mentioned. There is no reason why OTA cannot be securely implemented & therefore it should not be an issue.

Personally I would like to be able choose to accept or decline an update on a car that I own.

Given the incompetence of the current dealer system performed updates, I saw OTA updates as a major selling point/improvement over the mk1.

My guess is that the UK facelift models will have the same OTA capabilities as the Indian Mk 1 models. They seems to have split the software into 6 pieces: 3 HU (Human User interface?), two TBOX (the ECU that talks to 4G), and 4G firmware (presumably the bottom layers of the internet stack other than hardware).

The hardware (HW) has a 7th version number (presumably not an OTA update :)) Though there is such a thing as programmable hardware... Also, that's a lot of digits for a hardware version number. Maybe it's another low level firmware.

So that's 6 or 7 pieces of firmware that can be updated OTA. Not quite such a whopping lie after all, perhaps, though I for one certainly expected Tesla-style updates for everything, and the reality seems to be a long, long way from that.
I think you are right.

MG programmers must be really good, if they have not needed to do any OTA update for any of the 6-7 modules since the car was released.

It seems that no one has ever received an OTA update for the car.

Offcourse they might have updated the car to latest firmware before delivery, and this might be the reason, i have not gotten any OTA, but not even people that had their car for months have not gotten any OTA.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom