Software Recall

nbenn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Booked my MG4 in for the first year service. I gave them a list of things I'd like looked at, some of them software based.

He told me there is software recall on the car but that was the first I'd heard. No other details. He said should resolve most of my issues. Has anybody heard about a recall? I would have thought they'd need to contact us about that?!

Last edited:
Might be a service notice might be an actual recall. If it’s an actual recall would you mind sharing the number? This can usually be checked on the official recall database online.

If it's a recall then it'll have an RCxxx number. If it's an SCxxx number then it's a service campaign item, but dealers are lazy and just call them all recalls.

(I had the same at my first service in November ... they said there was a recall update, but when I got the details they were all SCxxx numbers).

If it's a recall then it'll have an RCxxx number. If it's an SCxxx number then it's a service campaign item, but dealers are lazy and just call them all recalls.

(I had the same at my first service in November ... they said there was a recall update, but when I got the details they were all SCxxx numbers).
I can't recall the number but it started with with RC I could swear. I'll be going in on the 30th so I'll find out then!

If it was RC008 then you're well overdue getting that done (the "getting locked in" fix) ... mine was done a year ago.

In which case (if you're the first registered keeper of the car) you should have previously received a recall letter from DVSA ... I did, and that's why I got mine done a year ago.

Maybe DVSA have assumed that MG would be applying the fix as standard for newer cars so only sent letters to existing owners at the time, but dealers/import techs have been lax in applying the updates? When did you get your car?

I got mine 20 Jan last year. That's why I was surprised I'd not been notified of a recall if there was one.

Booked my MG4 in for the first year service. I gave them a list of things I'd like looked at, some of them software based.

He told me there is software recall on the car but that was the first I'd heard. No other details. He said should resolve most of my issues. Has anybody heard about a recall? I would have thought they'd need to contact us about that?!
I contacted my mg dealer the other week about updates. They said there is a recall and mg recalls have fallen behind schedule. When I took it in I asked what it was for because I had no issues. I was told it’s to do with the infotainment (likely just a bog standard answer) and it needs to be done to maintain the warranty. I haven’t driven it much since but the only thing I’m aware of is that my LKA can no longer be switched off permanently but it’s not as aggressive as it was.

In which case (if you're the first registered keeper of the car) you should have previously received a recall letter from DVSA ... I did, and that's why I got mine done a year ago.

Maybe DVSA have assumed that MG would be applying the fix as standard for newer cars so only sent letters to existing owners at the time, but dealers/import techs have been lax in applying the updates? When did you get your car?
Mine is in again for (tests) .
Ongoing problem since September last year, lost count the amount of times it’s been in for this. But they do a test, report to MG and them wait 3 days for a reply!
Told them to keep it this time until it’s sorted. Just really annoying how no one has the trust to do anything without China’s okay. In future if they do anything whatsoever I will demand some record as the customer has no idea what they do with your car.
Back in the day you got presented with an invoice listing all work carried out, and any parts replaced. You get absolutely nothing from MG.
To be honest, all previous cars and motorcycles I’ve ever had, have never been recalled for any warranty work.
Yes these hi tech pieces of rubbish have fixes every time to take them in!

I get an invoice from my dealer identifying the updates. (Update reference and what modules have been updated. Doesn't say exactly why they were updated though, or to what revision, but at least I know what was updated).

I get an invoice from my dealer identifying the updates. (Update reference and what modules have been updated. Doesn't say exactly why they were updated though, or to what revision, but at least I know what was updated).
One other thing I noticed today was that the auto lights were much less sensitive. Their not coming on anymore during the day.

I noticed this late yesterday afternoon ... I felt the lights probably should be on but the auto-lights kept them off. (I have a modified cover over the sensor that has a clear top - I'll have to put the original back in place). :)

Yes I have. It was mentioned in a YouTube video by Jerry Pann who posts loads of MG4 content. He is an MG4 salesman in Auckland. I rang my supplying dealer in Preston Lancashire to ask about my x power delivered in December & my Wifes Trophy long range delivered last November & if I could book them both in ? The salesperson we bought from knew little about it but promised to get the workshop to ring me…. Nothing happened so I followed up with an email last Thursday, auto reply informed me she was back in on Jan 19th so I will post with an update once I know more.

I noticed this late yesterday afternoon ... I felt the lights probably should be on but the auto-lights kept them off. (I have a modified cover over the sensor that has a clear top - I'll have to put the original back in place). :)

When I get that update I may try the alternative printed replacement which has some gaps in the top but still switched the lights on too early. I'll report back. Don't hold your breath.

Mine also feel just a bit slow to come on in the dusk since my service. I've got the original sensor cover.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back