Software upgrades etc at dealer NOT purchased from

pharrison84

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Looking for a bit of guidance / advice.

Received car Friday - a Trophy. Generally very happy with it.

The entertainment is only on R30 software though, not R33. So with that comes the concern that some of the other software that I can't check is outdated.

Having bought via a broker and having the car delivered to me, it is not straight forward returning to point of purchase for software upgrades. I do, however, have two local dealers within 5 miles.

What is the best way to go about getting software upgrades? Are the local dealers likely to do it for me without charge? Seems unlikely if the software isn't causing major issues that might make it a warranty issue (and fortunately up to now it isn't). I was thinking I could potentially approach the local dealers about a service plan and talk to them about bringing it in for software upgrades ahead of the Y1 service.

There do seem to be a few reports on here of the software upgrade process causing major problems, so I may not rush into it yet anyway.

@Sloucher I'm tagging you here, because I am fairly sure I've seen you reference that you've had your car into a local dealer that you didn't purchase from, and so you may have some tips!?

If it's work that is required under warranty then any MG dealer will do, as they'll be able to recover costs from MG. Otherwise you may be charged for non-warranty work.

Best thing to do is ask them - see if they'll put your car on their laptop to check for outstanding software updates. (You could angle it on the basis that you have no confirmation that any official recall has been installed; e.g. AS-22-RC008 for the "lock in" recall).

The entertainment is only on R30 software though, not R33. So with that comes the concern that some of the other software that I can't check is outdated.

Having bought via a broker and having the car delivered to me, it is not straight forward returning to point of purchase for software upgrades. I do, however, have two local dealers within 5 miles.

What is the best way to go about getting software upgrades? Are the local dealers likely to do it for me without charge? Seems unlikely if the software isn't causing major issues that might make it a warranty issue (and fortunately up to now it isn't). I was thinking I could potentially approach the local dealers about a service plan and talk to them about bringing it in for software upgrades ahead of the Y1 service.

There do seem to be a few reports on here of the software upgrade process causing major problems, so I may not rush into it yet anyway.

@Sloucher I'm tagging you here, because I am fairly sure I've seen you reference that you've had your car into a local dealer that you didn't purchase from, and so you may have some tips!?
@pharrison84 , yes you're right, I did take my car into a dealer nearer to me than the dealer I bought from.

I asked them about software updates, and they told me that they couldn't update any software without permission from MG, which meant that unless there was a fault that a software update could fix, tough luck!

However, when I mentioned that that wasn't what I wanted to hear, considering LKA had nearly tried to kill me the day before, he said that if I made a warranty claim to fix it, then they could apply all applicable updates.

So, I listed all the things wrong, in the case of my car it was LKA too aggressive, bluetooth phone pairing not "sticking" and DAB radio dropping out. Then, just before I booked an appointment to have the warranty work carried out, I found out on the MG Recall website that my VIN was one of those subject to recall for the locking in problem, despite me not having had a recall letter. I rang the local dealer and made a recall appointment.

Interestingly, when I originally picked my car up from the supplying dealer, he told me that the oil breather mod AND the locking in update had been carried out prior to my collection. However, when I went to pick the car up from the local dealer after the warranty work he, whilst confirming the oil breather was updated, said that the locking in update had not actually been done, but it had been now together with all other relevant updates.

Here's where it gets interesting though. After all the updates, my infotainment system is still at R30. However, LKA is drastically calmed down, the bluetooth problem seems to have been resolved and the DAB doesn't drop out unless the signal gets too weak - so, go figure!! It all works to my satisfaction now, so I'm not going to bother insisting on R33 because I don't see what else it could offer me.

I would call all the dealers you could easily reach, explain your situation and see if any of them offer to do the upgrade for you free. You can probably judge from how they talk to you which is likely to be the most accommodating and helpful. Make sure though that you speak to someone senior, like the service manager, it is easy to get put off by an inexperienced rep.

Ok, that feeling of smug satisfaction quickly evaporated this morning.
Despite my statement that DAB doesn't drop out - it still does 🤬
I thought it was just a a temporary loss of signal when it stopped working, but now I can't get any DAB channel, anywhere 🤨😫

Ok, that feeling of smug satisfaction quickly evaporated this morning.
Despite my statement that DAB doesn't drop out - it still does 🤬
I thought it was just a a temporary loss of signal when it stopped working, but now I can't get any DAB channel, anywhere 🤨😫
Have you rebooted the infotainment, that fixes mine when I lose DAB

Have you rebooted the infotainment, that fixes mine when I lose DAB
Not yet. This happened during a day of no internet access (thank you Virginmedia 🤬 ) and a pc hardware failure - I wasn't in a very technology forgiving mood, so I just said "Bother" and left it.
If you believe that last bit, you're more naïve than I am!!!

Those of you who are having problems with DAB have you also got a dash-cam fitted?
I've read that some dash-cam hard-wire kits don't have a suppressor and interfere with the DAB signal.

Those of you who are having problems with DAB have you also got a dash-cam fitted?
I've read that some dash-cam hard-wire kits don't have a suppressor and interfere with the DAB signal.
Nope. Radio was wonky from the beginning. Loses all the stations from time to time and then suddenly they reappear.

R13 on my SE SR and no DAB issues ... only drops out where it actually loses signal (i.e. in the same places as my old Insignia lost signal).

Well after the charger control unit update today my Bluetooth no longer stays paired where as prior to today I've paired the phone once and not had an issue, seems odd that it's caused an issue but that's the only thing that's changed.

You’ll still have outside temp then (y)
Yes I still have the temperature showing

That is weird then. I assume you've tried a reboot and seen it forget several times?
The whole software stack seems over-sensitive to updates. I have never understood why some people get remembered settings and some don't, after the same upgrade.

Yeah rebooted the infotainment and phone numerous times and unpaired and repaired

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back