Solar diverters are they worth it, well I for one didn’t and still don’t think so.

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
For anyone that is thinking of having or has solar PV, you might find this video interesting in deciding whether or not to add a solar diverter along to it as sometimes these are an unnecessary expense.

On June 20th 2022 a podcast about solar and storage batteries was done on the MGEVs channel, this subject was really only touched upon in a small way around one minute into the podcast video, where I said that I didn’t think these diverters where worth the money you pay for them, I said in that podcast that a timer of some type is all that is needed and Miles said that is what he is using,

I use a smart plug controlled from my phone and have done for a very long time now and that has been has been very successful for me, one very important thing to be aware off if doing this, is that what ever type of timer or smart plug you use, is that it is of the correct rating as Immersion heater elements can pull around 3 KWs and there are lots of timers and smart plugs that can’t handle that currant so just be aware.

Anyhow in the video below this chap I think more or less confirmed that in lots of homes these diverters are not worth the outlay which is what I said back in June so have a watch before spending on one of these solar diverters.
Les.

Last edited:
I agree - they are an expensive investment.

However, to advocate a little in their favour - having one ensures that we do not export to the grid (giving away our solar investment to the grid) - instead - we use whatever surplus is being generated from the solar to heat our water (and if that is 100% full - it will then send surplus to a towel rail In the bathroom).

The divertor we have - is (technical please don’t ask me how it does it) somehow able to regulate the kWh diverted - sometimes it trickle feeds as low as 100 watts - but then if we generate to the max - pumping 3kWh of electric into the hot water tank - and anything in between until the tank is full And up to temperature.

The Tank itself - suffers no ill effects - the process is fully managed by the diverter.

The flaw I can see with using a timer divertor is that is it - On or Off - and will therefore be On at full blast.

Unless you are watching your solar generation yourself - on a dull day - when you are not actually generating much surplus - and if the timer comes on to charge your water store - it will charge at 3kWh (or whatever the maximum setting is for your tank) - if you are not generating surplus at this rate - then you will be drawing from the grid - at likely peak times of day - and therefore expensive rates.

As mentioned - it is choice and I do not want to advocate either way - they can be an expensive outlay - but in our case - over the years we have had one - we have saved a huge amount and usually have enough solar heated water to meet daily hot water needs nearly everyday of the year - except perhaps during the dullest and shortest days in deep winter.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom