Solar panels or stick to overnite cheap rate

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi again all.
Seems soon we will be able to get a £0.60p per hour saving on our electricity bill when charging the car overnite ( So Energy)
We are likely to do 8,000/10,000 a year maximum.
We have a Zappi 2, 7A charger
Prior to getting the car had considered some minimal solar charging to top up during the day.
Any thoughts on the minimum charge/ solar panels I could use to make it worthwhile, or stick to low eV charge rate

Hi again all.
Seems soon we will be able to get a £0.60p per hour saving on our electricity bill when charging the car overnite ( So Energy)
Prior to getting the car had considered some minimal solar charging to top up during the day.
Any thoughts on the minimum charge/ solar panels I could use to make it worthwhile, or stick to low eV charge rate
That overnight rate at So is not a competitive rate for EV charging, what are the daytime rates and standing charges.

£0.60p/ kWh IS MONEY back to me ie if I charge overnite( 12.00 midnight to 5am) 5 hours get £3.00 back, my rate till Dec 22 is £0.24p
So 7kw x £0.24px5hrs =£8.40-£3.00
= Equivalent of £0.15/kW.
Clearly this is no where near the best compared to the 0.05p rates BUT is our 24/7 rate for domestic erring on the better than mosti.e. you may get low overnite eV charge, but your day rate may be notably higher, the " swings and roundabouts" of our electricity needs

ALSO, apparently like most of us we are on a fixed contract so can't really change till end December 2022.

For additional info I met a school friend recently( from 50 years ago ), he lives 4 miles from me( 4 miles north of Fareham Hampshire), is supplied via a solar farm, his 24/7 electricity/ kW is £0.45

My overnight rate - which goes from midnight to 8am - costs me 0.11€ plus vat and does pretty-much all I need.

My EV consumption works out to 14 kw per 100 kms.

Thanks Thebiglad, assuming you are over the water.
What is your general electricity 24/7 fixed rate.
From my fairly recent knowledge here in "England" you can get a low overnite rate, but you get a higher " day" rate - a swings and roundabouts situation.
But my understanding is most of us are on or were put on a fixed contract - a roll of the dice - but generally we are in the same/ similar actual costs.
As a for interest here in Fareham Hampshire, my electricity for a family of 4 has been £75/£100 per month for 25 years, where to a point the increasing cost and option of long fixed terms and the gradual more efficiency of most things domestic electric powered has allowed this cost stability

Is the money back thing with So a fixed amount. If you shifted your dishwasher or washing machine to the night slot you wouldn't save any more but with another supplier all your overnight use is at a lower rate.
We are getting solar panels and batteries in August.

The e-mail " implied" midnight to 5am, so I am assuming all domestic items, so dishwasher,washing m/c etc.

Is your refund based on what you use at night or fixed at £3 (60p×5hours)?
On other tariffs everything you use overnight is at a cheaper rate, your EV plus anything else you can time shift

Hi yes, this is speculative at present as our Zappi is not their preferred eV charger, but Doon to get the £0.60 per kW.
So per night in the near future there is a 5hr x£0.60p/ HR saving.
However I am assuming from family and the few people we know what they pay out £0.24/ unit fixed is not so bad some are in the £0.30p and one is £0.45p

Thanks Thebiglad, assuming you are over the water.
What is your general electricity 24/7 fixed rate.
From my fairly recent knowledge here in "England" you can get a low overnite rate, but you get a higher " day" rate - a swings and roundabouts situation.
Hi Roger,

Heures Creuses (0:00 - 08:00) 0.1149€+vat per kw/hr:

Heures Pleins (08:00 - 23:59) 0,1458€+ vat per kw/hr

Plus a standing charge of 14,67€ + vat per month.

Cheers

Dave

£0.60p/ kWh IS MONEY back to me ie if I charge overnite( 12.00 midnight to 5am) 5 hours get £3.00 back, my rate till Dec 22 is £0.24p
So 7kw x £0.24px5hrs =£8.40-£3.00
= Equivalent of £0.15/kW.
Clearly this is no where near the best compared to the 0.05p rates BUT is our 24/7 rate for domestic erring on the better than mosti.e. you may get low overnite eV charge, but your day rate may be notably higher, the " swings and roundabouts" of our electricity needs

ALSO, apparently like most of us we are on a fixed contract so can't really change till end December 2022.

For additional info I met a school friend recently( from 50 years ago ), he lives 4 miles from me( 4 miles north of Fareham Hampshire), is supplied via a solar farm, his 24/7 electricity/ kW is £0.45
Agreed, stick where you are for now and re-evaluate as you get towards end of fix when you know what So will do.

You could swap to Octopus and get Go at 7.5p/kWh off-peak which makes justifying solar PV very difficult.
I’m with the 8 legged beast for my home energy so would it make sense for me to get the charger installed by them and use one of their tariffs as well
already on current spec smart meters as they were installed in March

Hi again all.
Consider Octopus Go with battery storage to cover your daily domestic use so you pay nearly all usage at the cheap 7.5p/kwh.
The standing rate goes to 49p/day which makes a serious impact on the time needed for the battery to pay for itself.
Use Excel to see how it works out for you.

Last edited:
You could swap to Octopus and get Go at 7.5p/kWh off-peak which makes justifying solar PV very difficult.
The justification is trying to stop CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere; even if Octopus only buy renewable energy, the national grid is still being fuelled by fossil fuel burning. Solar PV is a step we should all take.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom