Solar Powered MG

dgs99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm just coming up to my second year of ownership of an MG5 and had a wall charger for as long, but have only just started being able to use the charger in solar mode. In the past it would always draw from the grid rather from the solar panels, whenever I elected solar or solar + mode. After much discussion, I finally was able to get an engineer to come out to investigate. He took one look at my unit to say that the CT clamp had been incorrectly fitted the wrong way around. The unit works great now and although I dont do a high mileage I can top up the car from 58% to 80% with just 4 hours of sunshine.

I'm just coming up to my second year of ownership of an MG5 and had a wall charger for as long, but have only just started being able to use the charger in solar mode. In the past it would always draw from the grid rather from the solar panels, whenever I elected solar or solar + mode. After much discussion, I finally was able to get an engineer to come out to investigate. He took one look at my unit to say that the CT clamp had been incorrectly fitted the wrong way around. The unit works great now and although I dont do a high mileage I can top up the car from 58% to 80% with just 4 hours of sunshine.
I've done 8000 miles this year in my BMW i3, all of it on solar power, absolute result and youre entitled to enjoy the very smug feeling.

I had a free Pod-Point with my first EV (Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh). Rather than splash out a few hundred quid on a Zappi etc, I bought a variable current granny charger and have wired in a light sensitive circuit to the Pilot Signal to start and stop the charge when the sun comes out or goes in. Last month got 333 miles off solar, and this month so far, 153.

(Sings) I'm driving on sunshine, woh-ho. :)

Work shifts 2 days 2 nights 4 days off and commute 80miles return for each of those shifts. April may June was mostly solar only. Been a bit dismal the last couple of months though.

I was playing with the AC power setting with a view to using it when the generation rates are lower. interestingly at 6amps the plug monitor showed 1400w but the car only received 800w, so 600w charging loss, but at full power the granny charger consumes 2200w with the car receiving 1900w.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom