Solar + Zappi + MG4 = 😊

Very interesting thread. I had a 7.1 Kw solar system installed back in late 2021 and the Tesla 2 battery is just about to be installed. I also have a Trophy MG4 and always like it to be charged to maximum 100%. The battery balancing occurs randomly about 1 in 5 charges. I had to join British Gas when I moved to this new home and the DNO limits the amount of solar power we are allowed to generate, think it's (inverter) is throttled back to around 5kw. I keep an eye on Octopus tariffs but as I am retired the car is usually connected to my Zappi 2 and sunshine 🌞🌞🌞 powers the battery, even though it still takes.from the mains electricity partly even on eco ++ setting. If you've got any spare cash I would definitely recommend installing renewables. I explained to the family it's like buying your electricity in advance and then the war started and I feel for anyone paying "normal leccie bills". I only use the gas boiler when family calls as I use various electric fires connected to smart plugs and my favourite is the electric blanket. Oops sorry us oldies like to prattle on!
Hi @RichDragon ,

Not sure if you’re aware, but there is a setting on the Zappi 2, Minimum Green Level, whereby you can use virtually no grid power at all, see my attachment.

Apologies if you already knew this. Just started using the Zappi this week after getting my car recently and am trying to find the very best way to use my solar and battery, and came across this bit of information.

This thread is great. I have solar and givenergy inverter and zappi. Twice now when I have set zappi to eco++ it has charged well with excess solar during the day, but at midnight it switches to charging from the grid until full. Any ideas what I am getting wrong there, as would love to leave the car plugged in for it to get excess solar and forget about it.
I got caught by this too on my time charging 😩 Turned off and been fine ever since.

Attachments

• IMG_3041.png
    IMG_3041.png
    461.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi @RichDragon ,

Not sure if you’re aware, but there is a setting on the Zappi 2, Minimum Green Level, whereby you can use virtually no grid power at all, see my attachment.

Apologies if you already knew this. Just started using the Zappi this week after getting my car recently and am trying to find the very best way to use my solar and battery, and came across this bit of information.
thank you JDMB for that information, since my Tesla battery was connected I use zero grid power which is a REALLY wonderful feeling. I had the installers out a couple of times and they had no idea how to reduce the 1.4 setting to use less grid. I have no need to change any settings now and whilst I thought I'd gone through every option on the Zappi2 it might benefit others if you could print the MGL, Minimum Green Level, setting and how to find it.
Much appreciated, it's so much easier to find out how to do something on this site than try to wade through the hundreds of digital pages of the official MG Manuals.

My trouble is that I'm arguing with myself about solar,and a home battery or just a home battery or leave it as the technology improves. Unfortunately I'm loosing...🤣
I had solar and battery installed a year ago before my tariff ran out and the expensive electricity started. I had already installed a ZAPPI, the solar install added EDDI and HARVI to the mix. It worked reasonably well but not quite what I was hoping for. The battery capacity wasn't enough (7kWh) and inverter although 6kW would only supply 3kW on battery.
I obtained quotes for more battery storage and additional inverter that were frankly, ridiculous. I went down the DIY route using a Victron inverter and LifeP04 cells from Fogstar (UK Based), I built a 14kWh battery with it's own 5kW inverter housed in a small shed from Amazon for less than £4200.
My system no charges up from Octopus Intelligent overnight at 7.5p kWh and runs the house all day. If the weather is good the solar charges the batteries (this reduces the overnight charge), heats the immersion and charges 2 x EV. I havent used any peak rate electricity since 24th December when I switched my DIY system on. This system is less than a quarter the cost of similar systems and is easy enough to build. All of my electricity is now at 7.5p kWh or less if the weather is good.

I had solar and battery installed a year ago before my tariff ran out and the expensive electricity started. I had already installed a ZAPPI, the solar install added EDDI and HARVI to the mix. It worked reasonably well but not quite what I was hoping for. The battery capacity wasn't enough (7kWh) and inverter although 6kW would only supply 3kW on battery.
I obtained quotes for more battery storage and additional inverter that were frankly, ridiculous. I went down the DIY route using a Victron inverter and LifeP04 cells from Fogstar (UK Based), I built a 14kWh battery with it's own 5kW inverter housed in a small shed from Amazon for less than £4200.
My system no charges up from Octopus Intelligent overnight at 7.5p kWh and runs the house all day. If the weather is good the solar charges the batteries (this reduces the overnight charge), heats the immersion and charges 2 x EV. I havent used any peak rate electricity since 24th December when I switched my DIY system on. This system is less than a quarter the cost of similar systems and is easy enough to build. All of my electricity is now at 7.5p kWh or less if the weather is good.
I had a 9.6kW Solar array and a Tesla Powerwall 2 installed late 2019 and found out pretty quickly that it probably wasn’t big enough (we are big electric users here as we have an annexe that was built with no gas and lots of electric radiators with the person living there likes to keep on - I will be investigating replacing these rads with Infrared ones).

I will be adding an additional 3.3 kW array and another Powerwall 2 in hopefully the next month or so. The installer will be adding another inverter to to avoid any solar clipping.

The biggest thing I tell people when they’re considering solar and a battery is to know and understand your consumption and heavy usage periods, and factor winter into them if you’re monitoring in warmer and lighter months.

But I think it’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made. I was limited at the time battery wise because of capacity and scaling I was looking for, but the choice now is better than ever with the cost really falling, and the modular ability now of many of these systems (one of my main reasons originally for choosing the Powerwall) makes them an even better investment at compelling prices. Knowing they can be expanded easily too should make this, if you can afford it, a no brainier.

thank you JDMB for that information, since my Tesla battery was connected I use zero grid power which is a REALLY wonderful feeling. I had the installers out a couple of times and they had no idea how to reduce the 1.4 setting to use less grid. I have no need to change any settings now and whilst I thought I'd gone through every option on the Zappi2 it might benefit others if you could print the MGL, Minimum Green Level, setting and how to find it.
Much appreciated, it's so much easier to find out how to do something on this site than try to wade through the hundreds of digital pages of the official MG Manuals.
Hi @RichDragon ,

Am really pleased this was of some help to you.

There is a really good explanation of it from MyEnergi’s Dr Chris here , but the documentation is, as you’ve found, not great.

It is mentioned in the user guide Here , but again the instructions aren’t great, but the post from Dr Chris explains it better.

The key thing here is that it has to be set in the app but is only available using the Eco++ setting, at which the slider for the MGL is then visible.

What was the model of Victron you used please?

This looks good.

Now that I have a MG4 I am really interested in solar panels.

Do you know what the initial costs were for install and batteries please?
My Solar (6.7kW) and Battery (7kWh() with the Growatt 6kW inverter, Energy Diverter (for the immersion) installed was just under £12k. This system alone more than saved the monthly payments on a loan to buy it (approx £205).
I then added my DIY battery and inverter just under £4200 to take me off the grid completely during peak energy price (05:30 to 23:30). I now pay a maximum of 7.5p kWh with a lot of it being free from the solar, the last 8 days of so I havent used any energy from grid whatsoever.

Wow. That sounds really good.
Do you recommend any forums / online resources for diy solar PV installs?
Talk Electrician, Electrical & Wiring Forum is a great forum BUT they dont tolerate people who just want to glean their expertise and experience. If you go there having done your research theres a wealth of information and knowledge second to none. My battery build is on there in quite some detail, parts, circuit diagrams etc. I'm more than happy to steer people through a build if you want to do it and I would be happy to publish the build thread on here IF members and admin were interested and ok with me doing it.

For a very detailed battery build have a look at this:-

This one is just 4 cells, you really need 16 for a domestic install but I did mine in groups of four anyway to make them easier to handle.

NOTE: This is only the battery aspect, to use it in a domestic environment you need to feed it into a grid tie inverter. It's a good video to show just how simple it really is.

Last edited:
This is potentially very dangerous and shouldn't be attempted as a DIY unless you have knowledge AND experience of high energy electrical circuits. I suspect that building regs/approval come into play too.

This is potentially very dangerous and shouldn't be attempted as a DIY unless you have knowledge AND experience of high energy electrical circuits. I suspect that building regs/approval come into play too.
Its a tad dramatic statement. Loads of people are killed every year driving cars yet youre not suggesting people shouldn't drive? A build thread would carry all of the correct advice to make the project safe, at no time is the builder in mortal danger of electrocution or burning to death if the guidelines are followed.

Firstly the battery side is low voltage, maximum 54v, you can stick your hands across that and feel nothing, sometimes you may feel a slight tingle but only if you held both +ve and -ve leads at the same time. So the battery side does not present any high voltage danger. The battery is however capable of high energy, much higher than a lead acid car battery that we know and love and I guess handled for many years (all of that dangerous acid and explosive gases around). The way I have constructed my battery and connect each module with Anderson Connectors minimises dangers during construction and operation.

Appropriate advice for isolator switches and fuses capable of breaking DC high energy current are given / specified. This side of the project I would suggest has less danger than messing about with extension leads and granny chargers.
Building regs dont figure in it as far as I know in the same way it didnt figure with the commercial battery / invert install that was done earlier in the year. Where the regs will be involved is the connecting in to the grid supply and I would recommend involving an electrician to cover that aspect if you dont have appropriate skill and experience. It shouldnt take more than an hour to connect the cable into your electrical supply, there is no danger from running the cable yourself. The final part is the DNO (District Network Operator) application to inform them of your battery / inverter installation with any export details if you want to export some of your stored / generated energy.

In fact, having thought about this, I rescind my offer to do a build thread. I suspect there may be a lot of people find many reasons why it shouldn't be done as opposed to one reason why it should be done. If anyone is interested and wants to have a go, join me over on an electricians forum.

You will note that I didn't mention high voltage circuits but high energy circuits. Have you ever seen the result of someone shorting their metal watch strap across a car battery? Yes, it's safe if you have the expertise and know where the risks are but a project like this needs an appropriate warning.

Its a tad dramatic statement. Loads of people are killed every year driving cars yet youre not suggesting people shouldn't drive? A build thread would carry all of the correct advice to make the project safe, at no time is the builder in mortal danger of electrocution or burning to death if the guidelines are followed.

Firstly the battery side is low voltage, maximum 54v, you can stick your hands across that and feel nothing, sometimes you may feel a slight tingle but only if you held both +ve and -ve leads at the same time. So the battery side does not present any high voltage danger. The battery is however capable of high energy, much higher than a lead acid car battery that we know and love and I guess handled for many years (all of that dangerous acid and explosive gases around). The way I have constructed my battery and connect each module with Anderson Connectors minimises dangers during construction and operation.

Appropriate advice for isolator switches and fuses capable of breaking DC high energy current are given / specified. This side of the project I would suggest has less danger than messing about with extension leads and granny chargers.
Building regs dont figure in it as far as I know in the same way it didnt figure with the commercial battery / invert install that was done earlier in the year. Where the regs will be involved is the connecting in to the grid supply and I would recommend involving an electrician to cover that aspect if you dont have appropriate skill and experience. It shouldnt take more than an hour to connect the cable into your electrical supply, there is no danger from running the cable yourself. The final part is the DNO (District Network Operator) application to inform them of your battery / inverter installation with any export details if you want to export some of your stored / generated energy.

In fact, having thought about this, I rescind my offer to do a build thread. I suspect there may be a lot of people find many reasons why it shouldn't be done as opposed to one reason why it should be done. If anyone is interested and wants to have a go, join me over on an electricians forum.
My first solar and battery system was built by myself..... didn't do me any harm..... wibble! 🤪

You will note that I didn't mention high voltage circuits but high energy circuits. Have you ever seen the result of someone shorting their metal watch strap across a car battery? Yes, it's safe if you have the expertise and know where the risks are but a project like this needs an appropriate warning.
I did note you referring to high energy as did I. Of course it needs appropriate safety consideration which would have been given throughout the build. Anyway, it’s irrelevant now 😊

My first solar and battery system was built by myself..... didn't do me any harm..... wibble! 🤪
Absolutely, a little common sense and some guidance at certain key stages would have mitigated any risks.

Question.....
As I understand it, the MG4 will charge from excess solar (using zappi) only when there is atleast 1.4kw. If I reduce the amps to say.... 6A from the infotainment screen, will it have a lower threshold than 1.4kw? (Hope that makes sense)

I’ve finally been able to convince my wife that the initial outlay for a Zappi, solar PV and battery storage installation has been worth it. I showed her our solar being diverted to the car (instead of British Gas) via the Zappi app and I got a big smile and thumbs up, which coming from my wife is a big win. 😅

Feels great to be charging the MG4 with solar energy. 3kWh is not too shabby for Fife. View attachment 17059View attachment 17060
I absolutely concur with you! Same setup and almost negates the £11.5K Solar PV Batt system I had installed :)

I reckon on 6 years, then everything free :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom