Some newbie questions - brakes and battery

DBz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Taken delivery of a new ZS EV LR for my wife, her 1st full EV, I’m in a PHEV (haven’t gone the whole hog of EV yet!) and I’ve heard/read that the factory fitted 12 v battery is pants, similarly that the factory brake pads aren’t up to much and wear/performance isn’t great. I’m thinking of biting the bullet and replacing the battery and pads now, at the outset, new. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best aftermarket pads available? I can’t seem to find (eg ceramic) premium pads suitable and available for this model. Any steer appreciated…

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with either the battery or the brake pads, I might not choose them when getting new ones, but they are fine OEM. My 2 pennies worth...... Don't change either until you need to, nothing to gain at the moment.

I had my ZSEVLR back in Sept, the brakes and battery are fine. This forum is good but most problems are for low percentage to the cars that are actually out there.

I think you'll find that most ,if not all , forums for Hybrid ,PHEV and full EV are littered with complaints about 12 volt batteries . It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid . Probably better to buy a jump starter as back up .
The brake pads generally last longer on alternative fuel cars , so I don't know where that story comes from

Secondary question please - the car does not have a user manual / handbook in it, just a naff little pamphlet quick guide thing, is that normal or should the ZS EV have a proper full handbook? Thanks!

The handbook is found in the infotainment unit. You can also download it here
Cheers, so no hard copy book and wallet? I haven’t played with the car yet, so are you saying the manual is available on screen in the car in its display system?

You can download the pdf to a printing company for around £20 if you would prefer a hard copy. I downloaded the manuals (main and infotainment), onto the kindle app on my iPad, which I have found suits me well, and enables me to quickly scroll to the relevant section.

You can also read them on the iSMART app.

Brilliant, thanks for the detail. We haven’t got to finding the car app, yet, so is the iSMART downloadable via a link, or in the App Store?

Yes, it’s in the App Store. It’s a bit of a faff to get registered with a mobile/email address (a search on this forum will help with that), and then you need to bind your vehicle to the app. The whereabouts of the QR code on the infotainment screen varies between models - again, search on the forum or YouTube for assistance. Once done, the app is useful for showing you essential information about your car, and can be used to remotely lock/unlock, pre-heat or pre-cool your car. Good luck!

Cheers, so no hard copy book and wallet? I haven’t played with the car yet, so are you saying the manual is available on screen in the car in its display system?
Correct. Available to be read on the cars screen if you're very bored. Best downloaded as Susanna has said.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with either the battery or the brake pads, I might not choose them when getting new ones, but they are fine OEM. My 2 pennies worth...... Don't change either until you need to, nothing to gain at the moment.
I agree - 50k miles in on my ZS EV and on same brake pads and 12v battery with absolutely no concerns

Why go to the expense of changing brake pads and battery? Get your money's worth, and when they fail then change them. Otherwise it's a needless expense.

Why go to the needless expense of changing brake pads and battery? Wait till they wear out/fail and then change them, otherwise needless expense.
Spending for the sake of spending?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom