Space-saver spare wheel queries ...

rjhfandclf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
With at least 80% of my mileage is on long trips to SW France, and being of an age now when I adopt at least a belt and braces (+ string and sellotape, if poss) approach, I am looking at various 'precautions' before my first trip in 2024.

One thing I am looking into buying is a space-saver [and before anyone says, 'isn't that what MG Assist is for?', regrettably abroad, no it isn't - as there is no inclusive cover for the EU. MG Europe provides it EU-wide, but apparently the two cannot be joined-up, so I will have to try to extend it myself or add it to my own insurance and so duplicate UK cover. Not very helpful and another 'one-up' to my disgruntled old Mercedes with its worldwide cover.]

Information about changing wheels is not overly available, nor about appropriate wheel sizes, as very few people yet list anything specifically for 18" MG4 wheels. So some queries/confirmations if I may, please?:

1. The jacking points on my phase 2 Trophy ER appear (but are nowhere identified) to be where there is a black rubber grommet adjacent to each wheel. Removing this bung exposed a deep hole into a box frame (I think), but it doesn't look very condusive to locating any scissor-jack that I can see. Does anyone have experience of this and does it need a modifying pad to locate the jack perhaps?
  2. For a wheel, and without finding a definitive description, I am guessing only from I've read that I need (quotes): a 4x18 wheel for a bore of 57.1 (but not everyone quotes the bore?); with a PCD of 5x112; 0ET offset, and tyre size of 125/80R18 - dia: 657mm (or poss 125/70R18 - dia: 623mm ??). These seem also to be the alternative options for the MG5 and ZS EV as well as for dozens of other car makes ... so presumably is a fairly standard axle and stud arrangement? Does this all ring true .. and any experience/advice would be most welcome?
  3. Looking around, I quite like the aluminium RoadHero perhaps for its weight, although it is quite dear and comes with a lot of extras, some useful, but many that I already have, plus a 2-tonne jack that may not in fact fit the lifting point (per above). Otherwise Spare Wheel City / King etc. offer basic steel ones with no accessories at around a third of the price. Again, any experience welcome - particularly the jack.

Thanks from an EV novice.

Last edited:
Golf Mk.5/Mk.6 same PCD

Also I think the pcs matches the VW golf but can't remember what year/version
Yes - thanks both. I noted elsewhere that several people had used VW wheels - old and new - and I did look at The WheelShop. They only list 17" for MG4, but presumably other makes would fit equally well, as RoadHero list the same two MG4 wheel model numbers mentioned above for several car brands, in numerous models, viz: VWs, Audis, Seats, Skodas, Cupras, and Mercedes R.

Thinking further on, my main issue seems to be how to locate securely any (obviously) available scissor-jack into what I am assuming to be the hole offered as the lifting point ... unless I have got this wrong. I would dearly like to hear from someone with the MG model as to whether this is correct or not. (It seems that Tesla owners experience the same issue, so I doubt it is that unusual).

Addendum: Just looking at a tyre comparison calculator, it would seems that the better (closer to fitted) spare tyre size to use might be the 125/80R18.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the rim is 17, 18 or 15" etc as the fitted tyre wall dimension would be adjusted to make the overall wheel diameter correct

You have to have a scissor jack? A small trolley jack would work easily, and some come with a soft rubber pad to make lifting easy.
Yes - thanks ... I hadn't realised that they make them quite so small these days - and the weight and bulk are not so much greater. I did find the rubber pads - including one for Tesla which would locate well; but maybe it's overkill as I can't imagine the car or jack slipping under weight with just the supplied pad, if normally careful.

It doesn't matter if the rim is 17, 18 or 15" etc as the fitted tyre wall dimension would be adjusted to make the overall wheel diameter correct
Indeed it doesn't - thanks.

Maybe take a look at these two video's from Tom.
You may find them interesting.

Yes, thank you. I did in fact look at the 1st video early on but felt it was too much of an upheaval in my case to so redesign the car boot, and I would probably want o keep the tyre foam option as well, so I will look to work out a storage solution to suit.

The 2nd video I hadn't seen before, but I had also looked at a bottle jack when following-up the alternative trolley proposal here but quickly realised the same problem of either initial size and/or lift. But I'm glad he approves of the same Tesla style pads that I too found! And there are answers to some useful dimensions queries I had too ... so thanks for the link.

My old ICE Mitsubishi had a space saver spare with a smaller diameter than the main wheels but it didn't matter. Max speed was 80kph. I used it twice in 225,000km & it got me home & to the tyre repair shop easily enough.
I guess it's all insurance that you hope never to have to use. And on the deserted roads of SW France, waiting for breakdown assistance could be a very very long wait, so any spare strings for my bow have to be good.

I got this , fits perfectly. The jack fits well in the space vacated by removing the pump and gunk. 16″ SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL + TOOL KIT FITS MG ZS EV ELECTRIC (2017-PRESENT DAY) | eBay
That looks like a good solution. OP would then just need to find somewhere to keep the foam and pump as they wish to retain that. Maybe rig up some storage under the bonnet. I know there are frunks in development. Others have successfully stowed charging cables under the bonnet.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That looks like a good solution. OP woudl then just need to find somewhere to keep the foam and pump as they wish to retain that. Maybe rig up some storage under the bonnet. I know there are frunks in development. Others have successfully stowed charging cables under the bonnet.
You could leave the foam and pump in place , I chose to remove mine. The jack will fit inside the wheel dish so as long as the whole thing is in a wheel bag , should be safe enough.

I got this , fits perfectly. The jack fits well in the space vacated by removing the pump and gunk. 16″ SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL + TOOL KIT FITS MG ZS EV ELECTRIC (2017-PRESENT DAY) | eBay

I also got a cheap cover for the wheel.

That looks like a good solution. OP woudl then just need to find somewhere to keep the foam and pump as they wish to retain that. Maybe rig up some storage under the bonnet. I know there are frunks in development. Others have successfully stowed charging cables under the bonnet.
That's great - you've jointly pre-empted my next query as to some real experience of fitting a different size rim (and abandoning the dogma of needing an identical 18" arrangement to the road wheels/tyres!) I did look at The Wheel Shop (as above) but was undecided by their lack of 18" wheel options ... so many thanks for that. Just more homework to sort out as to what I put where.

Just one query - is the supplied jack robust enough for the heavier battery ... 2 tons or so perhaps? I suppose I could have a look at the package and still get a small trolley jack instead, I guess. Getting there though - thanks.

And appreciated.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I go on any long trips I take electric rattle gun Ryobi 1 and small air jack this makes life so much easier than old school jacks and wheel nut levers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great - you've jointly pre-empted my next query as to some real experience of fitting a different size rim (and abandoning the dogma of needing an identical 18" arrangement to the road wheels/tyres!) I did look at The Wheel Shop (as above) but was undecided by their lack of 18" wheel options ... so many thanks for that. Just more homework to sort out as to what I put where.

Just one query - is the supplied jack robust enough for the heavier battery ... 2 tons or so perhaps? I suppose I could have a look at the package and still get a small trolley jack instead, I guess. Getting there though - thanks.

And appreciated.
The wheel size for a space saver is usually smaller because the aspect ratio of the tyre is different. The outside diameter is just about the same. Remember you are only doing 50 mph and only driving far enough to get your original tyre fixed. The jack will lift the car enough to swap over the wheel, it's actually rated at 3 tonne but I wouldn't trust it to lift anywhere near that !

The wheel size for a space saver is usually smaller because the aspect ratio of the tyre is different. The outside diameter is just about the same. Remember you are only doing 50 mph and only driving far enough to get your original tyre fixed. The jack will lift the car enough to swap over the wheel, it's actually rated at 3 tonne but I wouldn't trust it to lift anywhere near that !
Thanks - that's helpful to know.

That's a good couple of videos the guy has produced. I don't understand why he didn't utilise the under bonnet space, but that's just my thought. This is the first car I've ever owned without a spare and it does seem a cheapo move. I know she goes next year but even this new VW is the same, but that does have a wheel well to fill. Manufacturers must be feeling the pinch bit surely a spare tyre kit would be a good gesture?

That's a good couple of videos the guy has produced. I don't understand why he didn't utilise the under bonnet space, but that's just my thought. This is the first car I've ever owned without a spare and it does seem a cheapo move. I know she goes next year but even this new VW is the same, but that does have a wheel well to fill. Manufacturers must be feeling the pinch bit surely a spare tyre kit would be a good gesture?
Many manufactures only tend to supply the tyre solution and an inflation pump these days.
Reducing weight is always a plus factor and not providing a spare could be seen as "Cheepo Move".
But the issue is storage, where do you put it ?.
Worth remembering here that some EV's / PHEV's once started life as an ICE model ( e.g - Both MG ZS EV's etc ).
These modified cars are more likely to have the provision for a spare wheel, why because the steel body shell was first pressed with a wheel well, that can then accommodate a spare wheel.
When VW released the Golf PHEV they used the original wheel well space, to relocate the petrol tank and then fitted the small HV battery under the back seat, where the ICE Golf had it's fuel tank installed, the tyre glue and an inflation pump was then stored in the boot.
EV's designed and built from the ground up, are very unlikely to have the provision of a spare wheel anymore TBH.
Once the factory glue is used in tyres from these OEM kits, then the tyre is pretty much wasted.
The OEM glue has a limited life span of about three years and then after this, the replacement OEM canisters are expensive.
The VW canister for our old Golf GTE was about £60 about 5 years ago !.
I opted to purchase the space saver spare wheel kit for our first ZS EV way back in 2019.
It was a no brainer and a much better option than relying on a canister of glue etc.

Regarding jacking points on the MG4, I was instructed by my dealer to use the strong weld seam/ridge innside the rubber bum at each wheel (Were the arrovs are). This have worked fine for me. Disclaimer, I use rubber pucks between the jack and the car to avoid scratching the undercarrige treatment that is added to my car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom