Space-saver spare wheel queries ...

I got this , fits perfectly. The jack fits well in the space vacated by removing the pump and gunk. 16″ SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL + TOOL KIT FITS MG ZS EV ELECTRIC (2017-PRESENT DAY) | eBay

I also got a cheap cover for the wheel.
I was on the point of ordering one of these, but took another brief look at their specific 17" spare for the MG4 (for which they charge an extra £30) just to see if there were anything obviously different apart from rim size (all being OK to sub for 18" rims). The only thing that did stick out was this 'new' notice on the MG4 specific wheel page:
"NEW ...
DUE TO THE LARGER FRONT BRAKES CALLIPERS THIS SPARE WHEEL WILL FIT ONLY THE REAR"

Has anyone come across this rather self-defeating issue? (It's not mentioned for the 16" ZS EV wheel - but then perhaps they have different-sized front calipers to the MG4?)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I got this , fits perfectly. The jack fits well in the space vacated by removing the pump and gunk. 16″ SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL + TOOL KIT FITS MG ZS EV ELECTRIC (2017-PRESENT DAY) | eBay

I also got a cheap cover for the wheel.

AN UPDATE … which may perhaps assist others:

After all the debate about fitting sizes and possible calliper issues, I decided to follow the predominant advice and ordered from the Wheel Shop their 16” ‘ZS EV’ space-saver, plus brace etc. (which was indeed listed as fitting ZS 16”, 17” and 18” factory wheels). Excellent service, as they delivered next day.

But regrettably, IT DOES NOT FIT my late 2023 Trophy Extended Range – either on the front or rear. To the credit of the Wheel Shop, I phoned next morning and they organised a replacement with their spare designated for MG4 17” or !8” factory wheels – and this also arrived next day with collection at the same time (needed as we’re off to SW France on Tuesday). This is first class service – albeit rather a costly £55 extra exercise, as the MG4 wheel is £30 more than the ZS one and next day swap-over/collection a further £25. Caveat emptor, I guess!

I don’t think the fitting problem is particularly to do with just larger front callipers (on the ER at least – I don’t know about the X-Power with its flashy covers), but is entirely due to the size of all four discs + callipers. I think the discs seem to be the same size front and rear (I ran out of oomph to check the front for a second time!) But measuring as well as I could, the rear discs are about 34.5 cms diameter and need around 40 cms clearance for the callipers) the front disc measured through the wheel spokes seemed identical – but I can’t be 100% sure of this – or the calliper size. I note that the 16” ZS wheel fitted some MG4 LRs, so perhaps they deemed bigger discs were necessary for the ER's larger battery/perfomance? The ZS wheel seemed about an inch too small.

If of interest the wheel that is listed for, and does fit, my MG4 ER is at: 17" Volkswagen Golf | Space Saver Wheel | The Wheel Shop (and also on their eBay shop). This still states that it won’t fit the MG4 front due to calliper size – but, from my unscientific measuring, I think (and hope) it might also fit the front on the MG4 ER – but possibly not the X-Power? Otherwise, a front puncture will need two wheel changes (spare to rear, then rear to front – not welcome at my age!)

Oh, and I bought a cheap (£5) cover too. But I should have got a tougher one as it started to tear at the handle as soon as I tried lifting it!

I hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok , this is now solved . I have been in touch with The Wheel Shop and after some debate they sent me a replacement 18" space saver meant for an Audi . This fits front or back with loads of clearance around the calipers. Here is a picture of the spec on the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_115728_1.jpg
    IMG_20240406_115728_1.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 27
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom