Speed bumps

Davojoe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So, has anyone else adapted their driving habits when going over speed bumps?

I’m concerned about damaging the battery pack and also that under floor ‘spoiler’ so I’ve adjusted the way I approach bumps now so instead of hitting them so both wheels straddle as much as possible I’m now making sure one set of wheels goes over the centre - this certainly slows me down and I can see in the rear view mirror my slow speed is bugging following drivers - curious if it’s just me…

I've never had that concern with my MG5 but I'm not sure whether the ground clearance is better or worse than the MG4.

It’s not just you, I’ve already noticed a very solid thump after going over a speed bump when I had only been driving the car for a week or so…needless to say I’ve been very cautious ever since. No marks whatsoever underneath the car, so can only assume it was the shock absorbers hitting their capacity or something.

It was the back end of mine coming down off a fairly high speed bump. Felt like such a solid thump I thought the bottom of the car had hit something…obviously a hell of a lot of weight there

Around Manchester the smaller square speed bumps vary tremendously in height and there’s often gouges on them where vehicles have grounded- tbh there’s just too many and when I get tyres replaced the fitters often comment that they can tell I’ve been driving over lots as the wear is uneven ( and yes I’ve had both my other cars checked for alignment) but around here there’s just so damn many

I think this just depends on what your local speed bumps are like.

Ours in my part of NorthEastEngland, range from full width of road bumps, ones that your wheels have to go over evenly at either side, to ones you can drive straight over but these can vary in height, although I don't think the 4 sits low enough to be affected by many of these where I am.

I instinctively slow down for bumps, just through habit, they're usually on 20 roads and 13-15mph seems to be enough to go over them without causing the back end suspension to hit the bump stops.

One thing I like about the Spanish roads funnily enough, was the bumps are designed for the speed of the road, if you're doing 40kmph and drive straight over them at 40, you're relatively unaffected, but any faster and you will definitely know about it.

One thing I like about the Spanish roads funnily enough, was the bumps are designed for the speed of the road, if you're doing 40kmph and drive straight over them at 40, you're relatively unaffected, but any faster and you will definitely know about it.
I wish that was the case, where we live they are like small hills, if you arrive at them at the speed limit (30kph) you'll rip your front wheels off let alone the rear.

The minimum ground clearance on the 4 is 117mm (bottom ball joints I think) and the maximum height of a speed bump is 100mm, so there should be no physical contact.
Having said that, I have seen speed bumps with potholes around them which is what creates the problem.

I think this just depends on what your local speed bumps are like.

Here in Norway it's like that, I do not slow down for normal spedbumps only those who have potholes or other faults to them.

My concern with the square humps that you can straddle on the sloping edges, is that it has the potential to put the tracking out as it must put some sideways force on the wheels. I'm sure thats why my last car was always out of alignment. But going slow enough to go over the middle with two wheels is a real pain.

High enough here to have caused the deflector underneath my HSPHEV to be knocked off (luckily Mr Grumpy Pants was driving and not me)!

Speed bumps in the uk have a maximum permitted height of 100mm
The car should clear that with no problem

Possibly another concern with a warped under tray as so many have. If you drive over a speed bump with a fully laden car at the right speed, the car may dip as it crosses and an unattended to, warped under tray may catch the bump. Damage ensues.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back