Speed information warning issues on MG5 LR

Patternwalker

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have had an MG5 LR since the middle of October and absolutely love it. However, it seems to have a very annoying habit of switching the Speed Information Warning back ON, even though I've switched it off in the Car settings. I can find no rhyme or reason for why it does it and the dealer can offer no reason either. There seems to be no logic to it. I first thought that it was after charging, but I've checked it and it doesn't seem to be the case. It appears to come back on at random. I just want it to stay OFF when I've set it like that, as I find the flashing speed limit sign on the driver display quite distracting. Has anyone else had this problem or ( hopefully) found a solution? Thanks.

I have had an MG5 LR since the middle of October and absolutely love it. However, it seems to have a very annoying habit of switching the Speed Information Warning back ON, even though I've switched it off in the Car settings. I can find no rhyme or reason for why it does it and the dealer can offer no reason either. There seems to be no logic to it. I first thought that it was after charging, but I've checked it and it doesn't seem to be the case. It appears to come back on at random. I just want it to stay OFF when I've set it like that, as I find the flashing speed limit sign on the driver display quite distracting. Has anyone else had this problem or ( hopefully) found a solution? Thanks.
Yeah, there are some minor annoyances like that. Some things hold their settings, some things turn back on automatically, and some turn off. The theory is that it's 'safety features' that turn back on, but the speed limiter (speed assist) function completely switches off and needs to be reactivated in infotainment every time, whereas if I were to turn on the Lane Keep Assist and activate it, when the missus gets in the car the next day it'll stay on and active and start unexpectedly steering for her at 37mph potentially causing an accident.

I think MG are seriously missing a 'user experience' person on their development team. The sort of person who would say "I have a nice blue button for LKA and Speed Assist, so they should remember their settings and start up in 'standby' with the same settings as last time."

That person would also say things like:
-"That's a pretty graphic and all, but I know the headlights have come on because the headlight indicator has come on and the world has got brighter. I don't need the full screen display to tell me that - it's blocking what I actually want to see"
-"You have designed a wonderful way to show what speed the 'speed assist' function is set to without taking over the whole screen. Why, for the love of god, did you not use that for ACC as well?"
-"I put the console on x display (probably digital speed) because that's what I want it on that. Stop changing it to something else - or if you really must, then change it back when you're done"
-"Seriously, this speed camera recognition thing is a cool feature and all, but its not stable. It's wrong half the time and can't recognise 20 signs on the 5LR to the point of crashing intelligent speed assist. It's just an unnecessary distraction for the driver so let me switch it off and leave it off."

There's a little too much "ohh, that would be cool" and not enough thought on how people will want to use it.

If it always turned back on at start up, or after charging, or after some other defined event then it would at least make sense. It seems to be totally random - which makes NO sense. To me it must therefore be a fault - which is why I asked the community to see if anyone else has the same behaviour.

196-197 of the manual seems to suggest that it only comes into play when adaptive cruise is off, so it may be because you're switching that on?

Could you set it to manual and 70mph if you don't want it doing anything for you?

With ACC on it doesn't display at all. Switching ACC on and off doesn't affect the setting of the warning function. In CAR settings I set the Speed Information Warning to OFF. It randomly switches itself back on.

Yeah I have seen this as well - pain in the neck to have that flashing speed warning when you are on the motorway doing 70mph.I have set the "*" on the steering wheel to put the car details up and it is then relatively easy to turn off. I have tried lots of setting but cannot resolve. Perhaps MG will do an update to resolve this?

I hope so... but I'm not holding my breath!
BTW, you can remove the speed limit sign from the driver display completely by holding down the OK button on RH of steering wheel for a few seconds.

I hope so... but I'm not holding my breath!
BTW, you can remove the speed limit sign from the driver display completely by holding down the OK button on RH of steering wheel for a few seconds.
Thanks for this. I will give it a try. But the thing is I do like the idea of the car recognising the speed limit and informing you. Yes I know as a driver you should be aware of the speed limit, but some times signs are obstructed etc. Thanks again

I think you can set the threshold higher, if you want to break the speed limit :). I'm sure I saw something in the menus somewhere, different %ages for town and motorway

I like to have the limit displayed and I rarely exceed it. However, 1mph over triggers the flashing and it doesn't always get the correct limit anyway so the flashing is annoying and distracting. I've read the handbook but didn't see any way of setting an over-limit threshold for the warning. However, if I turn the warning off, it should stay off!

Reading about everyone wanting to turn off the speed warning makes me laugh. Almost every other car that comes into my brothers garage the dashboard will be light up like a Christmas 🌲. Customers don't seem worried at all.
My van beeps every time I go over 60 that's more annoying than a flash on the dash

I have had to turn mine off as it was annoying. Not that it was warning me that I was over the limit either. On a derestricted dual carriageway it was flashing the speed sign at around 60MpHo_O

It seems less annoying on the ZS, probably because of the higher seating position, the warning is lower down in my field of vision and less noticeable.

I live in Ireland where the speed is measured in kilometers. The motorway limit is 120 km/hr but I get a flashing '70' (no units). I think we Irish inherited a bit of your UK software (70 miles/hr?). My local dealer says MG is aware of it and it 'may' be sorted in a future software update.

@Patternwalker, thanks for the tip on turning it off. Hope it works!

That was my point - everything else is in kilometres except for the speed warning on the motorway. It flashes 70 instead of 120 km/hr. And the UK speed limit is 70 m/hr, I was guessing they forgot to convert that in the software.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom