Speedo alternatives

OriginalBigAl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
On a LKA post some have mentioned that Android auto/ google maps have accurate speedometer readings, does anyone know of an associated app which would display this on the infotainment screen in an old fashioned dial and needle configuration. I find that the constant changing digital display slightly distracting it needs more attention than I would care to give it, and is therefore a bit self defeating. A dial and well damped needle either mechanical or digital is more intuitive, more instant and more relaxing to read.

On a LKA post some have mentioned that Android auto/ google maps have accurate speedometer readings, does anyone know of an associated app which would display this on the infotainment screen in an old fashioned dial and needle configuration. I find that the constant changing digital display slightly distracting it needs more attention than I would care to give it, and is therefore a bit self defeating. A dial and well damped needle either mechanical or digital is more intuitive, more instant and more relaxing to read.
I'd like to think that the boffins could have programmed choices into the Speedo. I can't see half of it as it's too small. I'd sooner have a round Speedo personally too. Am sure they could program one for ease of view.

I'd like to think that the boffins could have programmed choices into the Speedo. I can't see half of it as it's too small. I'd sooner have a round Speedo personally too. Am sure they could program one for ease of view.
The whole driver's screen is a mess - looks like an afterthought. Tons of wasted space and too small text. No idea why so much space is wasted on a pointless lane / traffic display. Would be much nicer with some round dials for speed and range and large text supplementary info across the bottom.

Yep, miss my Golf where you could configure to some extent what was displayed, and it had an analogue Speedo with a digital inset - best of both.

My S2000 only has a digital speed, it is better damped than the MG4 mind, but the design does date from 1999 when digital was a new gimic.

Can’t decide if I’m disappointed this wasn’t an alternative swimwear recommendation thread or not. 🤣

Sadly no help on android though but it does seem like something that someone will have made.
Lol, but if you do wear that brand of trunks, never stand by the pool with your hands on your hips and your thumb covering the 'S' :eek:

Last edited:
I can't see those extra dials. I just want speed, what's left in battery and is cruise, or lane killer on, oh and mileage. A good ole round dial or maybe a copy of the old metro dash. The power meter could be a rev counter type with a negative area for regen, or, let's have a bigger display for us with crappy eyes lol.

I can't see those extra dials. I just want speed, what's left in battery and is cruise, or lane killer on, oh and mileage. A good ole round dial or maybe a copy of the old metro dash. The power meter could be a rev counter type with a negative area for regen, or, let's have a bigger display for us with crappy eyes lol.
What about something like this for crappy eyes?

1695187700927.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel