Spoiler on the MG4 EV Trophy

StuartT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi everyone. Brand new here (so be gentle :D)

I have an MG4 Trophy on order and have a question about the weird spoiler. I always understood that a spoiler was supposed to positively affect the airflow over the car to make it more aero (reduce drag). But I gather from various reviews comparing the SE and the Trophy that the spoiler actually reduces range (so therefore presumably increases drag). In which case, what is the point of the spoiler (apart from making the back look silly)?

It's entirely possible I have misunderstood, so please feel free to set me straight.

Thanks.

That was the original intention of spoilers but since they started being added to cars back in the eighties they were mostly used as decoration not for drag improvement. They found the boy racers liked them.
Hmm... that's somewhat depressing. I think spoilers look daft (they are called spoilers because the spoil the car). But I wanted the additional features of the Trophy over the SE, so will have to put up with it.

I'm expecting to be mocked by my friends when they see it...

They were for both reducing or increasing drag/downforce dependant on the engineer's preferance. The Audi TT and various other fast cars deployed them when going above 50 mph in the early days of retractable rear spoilers to make the car more planted at speed. I think Audi made that optional at 50 mph in later models as if I remember correctly early owners well getting pulled by the police in 30 & 40 zone's for potential speeding, with the cops basically pointing out their auto deploy spoiler kinda contradicts the driver's ' no officer, not me officers, I would never drive above the limit' rhetoric.

Hi everyone. Brand new here (so be gentle :D)

I have an MG4 Trophy on order and have a question about the weird spoiler. I always understood that a spoiler was supposed to positively affect the airflow over the car to make it more aero (reduce drag). But I gather from various reviews comparing the SE and the Trophy that the spoiler actually reduces range (so therefore presumably increases drag). In which case, what is the point of the spoiler (apart from making the back look silly)?

It's entirely possible I have misunderstood, so please feel free to set me straight.

Thanks.

You have not misunderstood. You have understood perfectly.

Lots of people seem to like the spoiler. I have had flak in other threads for mentioning that I think it looks silly. Frankly, if I had a Trophy I'd look at taking it off. (Though I'm told that selling it to one of the SE owners who wants to add one to his car would be a bad idea because a future buyer would expect the spoiler to be there.)

My understanding is that spoilers are added to race cars to give downward force to improve stability - like an upside-down wing giving negative lift. But then petrolheads decided they just looked cool and manufacturers started adding them to cars even though they increase drag and are not needed for stability in a road car.

Presumably MG reckon that it's a selling point for more people than are put off by it.

IIRC, when Porsche added a retractable rear spoiler to the 911, it operated at 75 mph to add down force and stability (though it was said it didn't have much effect below 120 mph). But in the UK/US markets it operated at 50 mph, 'cause otherwise it would never been seen at legal speeds in the UK and that was not what owners wanted!

It is obvious that the car was designed to have the twin spoilers by the fact that the SE models look like they have been removed , looks like something is missing . I think the car looks better with the spoilers and look I'm averaging 4.5 miles/kWh sometimes more, and achieving 300 mile range at the moment so can't be that bad for efficiency.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I must admit, it had not occurred to me that I might be able to remove the spoiler. That's good to know.

EDIT: Just found this thread (y)

As an aside - I wonder how the new rear wiper impacts drag/airflow?

I don't have an MG4 so can't directly answer this but on my previous car, a Diesel MG6, there was no rear wiper. Apparently, I was told by my dealer, this was in order to make the car more aerodynamically efficient and keep it in a very low emissions and therefore VED band (when I had the car, £30 per year).

So, my suspicion would be that the addition of the rear wiper to the latest MG4s must negatively impact drag/airflow to at least a small extent.

Then there's the drag from the saggy rear undertray - I'll get me coat....
Especially when it catches all the crap from winter roads

They were for both reducing or increasing drag/downforce dependant on the engineer's preferance. The Audi TT and various other fast cars deployed them when going above 50 mph in the early days of retractable rear spoilers to make the car more planted at speed. I think Audi made that optional at 50 mph in later models as if I remember correctly early owners well getting pulled by the police in 30 & 40 zone's for potential speeding, with the cops basically pointing out their auto deploy spoiler kinda contradicts the driver's ' no officer, not me officers, I would never drive above the limit' rhetoric.
My TTS deploys the spoiler at 78mph and retracts it when I slow down to under 50mph. So in theory it should never automatically deploy, in theory...😉

Surely it's MG's nod to the Lamborghini Countach - when they added the spoiler/wing to the LP400S model in 1978 which made it look more sporty, but actually reduced efficiency. Spoiler being the operative word.

Surely it's MG's nod to the Lamborghini Countach - when they added the spoiler/wing to the LP400S model in 1978 which made it look more sporty, but actually reduced efficiency. Spoiler being the operative word.
yes, I'm sure you are right. The Countach is clearly the first car that springs to mind in comparison with the E4 :ROFLMAO:

for younger viewers...
1691152135989.png

The link is obvious :ROFLMAO:
Lamborghini Countach LP400
  • Years: 1974 – 1978.
  • Units: 157.
  • Engine: 4L Nat Aspirated V12.
  • Power: 325 bhp @ 7,500 rpm.
  • Torque: 260 ft lbs @ 5,500 rpm.
  • 0-60 mph: 5.9 seconds.
It's frightening how automotive technology has moved on. The MG4 Trophy ER is only 0.2 seconds slower and the X-power............

I really want the spoilers as I have the MG4 EV and don't have them but I think it looks like they are missing. Mine is Dynamic Red. Does anyone know if you can buy them?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back