Squeaky wheel

dave99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Had first service today and asked them listen for a squeak I'd heard from the back of the car when cold - sounded like a bearing or binding brake. They reported brakes squeaking when cold - advise clean and regrease of pad mating surfaces £110.

When I queried why this wasn't warranty work they went away and said they would do it as a gesture of good will, which is much appreciated and I'm not criticising them, but any idea why they might say its not warranty work? Its not a pad change, or other consumable - isn't this exactly what a warranty should cover??

[on the plus side, 100% battery SOH after 8500 miles)

Last edited:
Brake pads and discs are classed as wearing parts/consumables. I think the only way it would be warranty work was if the squeak was reported to them within a few days of taking delivery and MG will have specified what is done during the service and the garage won't be paid for any extra work they do.

I agree with Ian.

The trick is to stop thinking if your dealer as 'MG'. They are an independent business that buys cars from MG. If you have work done on your car of any nature whatsoever, there are only three options:
  • MG pay (only happens for authorised warranty work)
  • Your dealer pays (as a courtesy / keep you happy)
  • You pay.

I agree with Ian.

The trick is to stop thinking if your dealer as 'MG'. They are an independent business that buys cars from MG. If you have work done on your car of any nature whatsoever, there are only three options:
  • You pay.

I am happy with that - but it's what counts as warranty work that's my question.

Brake pads/discs themselves I agree are consumables, but if they didn't grease them at the factory or its washed out or whatever else has caused the parts to require additional lubrication that's not part of the service schedule, and they don't replace the barely worn pads/discs, I'd expect that to be warranty work - maybe it's too much effort to get it authorised by MG (this is only 8500 miles, its not high mileage!).

With an average mileage of 10-12k per year, 8.5k is beyond what would (typically) be expected for 6 months of ownership. (6 months is the tipping point for burden of proof under the Consumer Rights Act). If you've had the car more than 6 months then it's for you to prove that the fault existed when you collected the car (if the dealer requires you to) - this is not automatically a warranty issue.

In my case I was aware of the potential for lack of lubrication so I reported it within 2 months (when the car was going in anyway for the locking in recall) and they stripped and lubed the callipers/sliders.

I agree with Ian.

• You pay.

I think this is exactly why I would have to seriously consider buying another MG again. They all want to avoid doing any work on your car under warranty.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back