SSEN main rating fuse wont help

Silver estate

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Tried to phone SSEN today to find out my main fuse rating so I could get a charging point quote and they were far from helpful 😡
Basically told me to bugger off as get the instal company to ring them and book a test etc
They can’t say that they have don’t have the info as they were out in March to refix the meter board to the wall 🙄 and the fuse has an new seal on it
P/s installer is octopus and they’ve been ok

Try talking to a different person.
When I made the same enquiry with my DNO (WPD) they couldn't have been more helpful.

You have found a genuine "jobsworth" who is doing things by the book. Try another call handler.
Strictly speaking the fuse rating could be only part of the picture. Do you have an isolator switch already fitted?

You have found a genuine "jobsworth" who is doing things by the book. Try another call handler.
Strictly speaking the fuse rating could be only part of the picture. Do you have an isolator switch already fitted?
No I don’t

Then get your supplier to fit one. It'll make the charge point install much easier and will necessitate pulling the main fuse so the bribe of a biscuit will get the information that you desire, and possibly an increased rating.

Have you had a quote for the installation as once that's sorted the your installer will tell the DNO and that will trigger a 'load check'.

Update ,
Octopus’s ain’t asked for it again and have sent my details for assessment , so should get a site survey soon

Tried to phone SSEN today to find out my main fuse rating so I could get a charging point quote and they were far from helpful 😡
Basically told me to bugger off as get the instal company to ring them and book a test etc
They can’t say that they have don’t have the info as they were out in March to refix the meter board to the wall 🙄 and the fuse has an new seal on it
P/s installer is octopus and they’ve been ok
The rating should be on the main fuse as the cable comes into the house?

Be careful not to read the rating of the fuse carrier as the fuse inside but be a lower rating .

My X-ray vision shows me that it needs replacing as it's corroded/cracked/leaking so they need to come out urgently and replace it. ;)
Seriously, post a photo as that may well be true.

My X-ray vision shows me that it needs replacing as it's corroded/cracked/leaking so they need to come out urgently and replace it. ;)
Seriously, post a photo as that may well be true.
image.jpg

Those are much more modern units than the house so the DNO will see no need to change them unless they have suffered mechanical damage.

Our house was built in 1981 and the DNO at the time, made the decision to install 60 Amp main cut out protection fuses, on the whole of the estate.
Move forward to early spring this year ( 2022 ).
I contacted my DNO and requested a main cut out fuse upgrade from 60 Amps to 100 Amps.
Due to the huge energy price hike in April, we wanted to slide as much of our usage into the 5 hour cheap off peak tariff we are on.
I rang the general number for the DNO and the lady was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
Long story, but after a LOT of chasing and phone calls, I did get an appointment to have it done.
When the lads arrived, they asked if I would take a 80 Amp upgrade instead ?.
I said NO - Why ?.
They explained that upgrading it from the current 60 Amp to a 80 Amp fuse, was very easy.
One out - One in !.
But to upgrade to a 100 Amp fuse would require the complete service head replacing.
The 80 Amp fuse WILL fit inside the 60 Amp service head, because the both fuses has the same external dimensions.
The 100 Amp fuse is much larger in its external dimensions and is not a straight replacement.
It has a larger service head, to accommodate the larger 100 Amp fuse.
I explained the reasons how I intended to slide my usage and listed the electrical items I intended to use on the "Off - Peak" rate.
He had already clocked the 7 Kw wall box on the wall of the garage.
Aaarrrhhhh ........ Then yes, you require a 100 Amp fuse to be safe then !.
The whole job was completed in about 25 minutes !.
The hard work was getting an appointment to be honest.

The DNO has specific responsibilities and their approach may vary according to who they are. The is from my DNO's web site

The equipment we are responsible for
We own the power cable which delivers your power and the main electrical fuse which controls the amount of power coming into your property. This is the fuse that we can upgrade for you. We are also responsible for the cut-out box which protects and holds your fuse. We are not allowed to work on any other electrical equipment including your electricity meter and fuse board.

and:

Requesting a free site visit
You will need to complete these checks before requesting a site visit:

1. Find out which fuse size you require
  2. Check if your fuse board and consumer wires are the correct size or if they need upgrading
  3. Check if your electricity meter and meter wires are the correct size or if they need upgrading
If you think the electrical equipment in your property already meets the safety standards criteria, you can request a free site visit from us to check for you.

I made the point that my fuse holder was unmarked therefore I could not establish if an upgrade was required or not. I had a dedicated consumer unit for external supplies installed so 2 and 3 were already covered. Essentially the failure to mark the fuse carrier was their issue and only they could resolve it so there was no problem arranging a visit. I was also asking to come off of a earth rod as the rod was buried under a concrete slab and could not be inspected as required.

When the fitters came they just decided to replace the cut out box as a matter of course. When they removed the fuse they did out of
curiosity try to see what the fuse was but it was the wrong way up in the carrier and the nuts holding it in were seized. Having fitted the the new earth point they did check the earth rod electrically and it was within 0.1 ohm of the incomer supplied earth so still good. I have moved my consumer unit over to the new terminal but left the old one in place, if ever needed this would be used if a portable generator is required.

I have moved my consumer unit over to the new terminal but left the old one in place, if ever needed this would be used if a portable generator is required.

Getting ready for some battery storage and an emergency power supply?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom