Standard Load Cooper Tyres At New

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm looking for some help on clarifying tyre specification for our 71 reg 5 Long Range that came with Cooper tyres.

We just had a puncture that required a new tyre. It was noticed that the original tyres are Standard Load which I'm told would be an Mot failure. I've replaced the fronts with Avons extra load (that was in stock) but the rears are still the original Cooper standard loads.

I called in at the MG dealership in Louth to confirm what specification of tyres should be supplied. Unfortunately they do not know.

I'll check the manual when home but does anyone have any knowledge on this please?

Last edited:
Just go by the Load Index.
It was 96 on the original car.

XL is not a requirement on the 96 load index, only on lower ratings. I don't believe that Cooper tyres were ever standard, I've only seen Bridgestone Ecopia on the LR. Cooper is an American made tyre and owned by Goodyear, so makes no sense to be fitted by a budget Chinese manufacturer.
There has been some discussion of the Ecopia tyres with people complaining about a lack of grip, perhaps the original owner changed them? The tyre spec, but not manufacturer, is shown on the door plate.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom