Starting our MG4 Trophy, you have to put into drive, back into park, then do it again.

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone else have this issue. Ours used to be fine, but for the past fee months randomly if you sit down and put your foot on the brake it says ready. You out it I to reverse or drive and it doesn't do anything.

You put it into park again, press your foot on the break and it says ready again and does the whole click thing and starts AC etc. Then it works.

It's as though the first time sometimes says it's ready but isn't. I've tried it taking my time, doing it fast etc, makes no difference. A year ago it did it maybe 1% of the time but now I'd say it's like 60%.

Do you wait around 30 seconds when sitting down for thw whole info screen to startup fully and get the welcome message ? Can't say I've had this myself ... just the occasional message "staighten the steering wheel" or "put on seat belt".

I have come across this a couple of times. Annoying software glitches.
Annother example, today when i left home i had 19% SOC & when i arrived at work, around 22km away, i still had 19%. My commute is normally 5%. That's a bit freaky. Hope that does not happen in a long trip!

I’ve had a strange one the other day. Parked on a slope, as usual as it’s my drive. I park in reverse so all I have to do is foot on accelerator and parking brake disengages.
Except recently due to rain a freezing temps, the brake pads were harder to disengage than usual. Normally this isn’t an issue but the other day the Parking brake didn’t disengage automatically as a result of the brakes binding to the discs and it would let me put into drive and a warning message about putting my seatbelt on appeared.
Well I did have my seatbelt on!
I unlatched the seatbelt and then latched it again but that made no difference.
I put it in p again. Then disengaged the parking brake manually and then put transmission into drive and off I went.

I’ve had a strange one the other day. Parked on a slope, as usual as it’s my drive. I park in reverse so all I have to do is foot on accelerator and parking brake disengages.
Except recently due to rain a freezing temps, the brake pads were harder to disengage than usual. Normally this isn’t an issue but the other day the Parking brake didn’t disengage automatically as a result of the brakes binding to the discs and it would let me put into drive and a warning message about putting my seatbelt on appeared.
Well I did have my seatbelt on!
I unlatched the seatbelt and then latched it again but that made no difference.
I put it in p again. Then disengaged the parking brake manually and then put transmission into drive and off I went.
I had the seat belt warning yesterday for the first time. It was plugged into the seatbelt socket firmly, I ended up having to get out of the car, lock it, and start again. Just like Windows 11 Pro! It was annoying that it was p’ing down with rain at the time 💦💦💦

Try also lifting your botty off the seat and reseating again as this sometimes helps get itself on the right track -

For me the secret is to close the driver door before pressing the brake. If I do that I can put it in drive at once and go, long before the system has booted. Try it! Sit, close door, press brake. Turn knob to D and go.
That's exactly what I've found, and was going to say same, but you beat me to it. 👍😅

I've found a number of annoying bugs if you don't let the Infotainment system boot up before doing anything or if you lock and unlock the car is too quickly (I do this to get Android Auto to go in to night mode). On one occasion the screen locked completely with a message about the functions being available once the car is started (had to lock the car and wait an hour for it to reset), another is the new A/C drop down screen (R43 and above) becomes unresponsive if the manual A/C switch is left on when locking and unlocking, and another is the radio favourites don't display. So I have learnt some patience.

I have reported all these back to the dealer, I am not expecting any solution any time soon. Their software development version control and testing acceptance procedures are crap, but by all accounts so are a lot of the legacy car manufacturers. I think we will see things change over the coming years but don't hold your breath.

For my SE SR on R13 I buckled both front seatbelts from behind the seat and I don't take them off. Now I jump in the car, after closing the door I single tap the brake and the car is in "Ready" every time without any delays. I never wait for the start-up screen.

Prior to that when I buckled up my car would take around 5-15 seconds to be "Ready" and dozen taps on the brake pedal. So I'm thinking seatbelt warning confuses the ecu to be ready.

I should state I don't recommend this method and encourage everyone to fasten their seatbelts the correct way if they want to live.

For soley using on my private drive when washing the car etc and reversing and fronting out of my garage I use one of these in the drivers seat belt slot :-

It fits and works well ... but beware any other makes ... read all the reviews.

Amazon product ASIN B0BXWXWNBK
I must stress I would never use it on a road with traffic and would keep within the law (I think)

I wish I had known about that when I was driving up and down farm tracks delivering election literature. If I fastened the passenger seat belt buckle in the driver's side, the belt was in the way of me sorting out the leaflets, which were carried on the passenger seat. If I fastened the driver's seat belt across the seat, I was sitting on a buckle. Still, the Golf eventually got tired of bonging me and shut up about it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back