Stationary but the power meter shows 3-5.

Expat Ever

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Car on a flat road stopped as normal with 99% regen and light touch on the brakes to kill the last kph. Now waiting for a minute for the traffic to move so keep the brakes on to stop any creep**. The power meter is showing 3 or 4, sometimes higher, but I have no aircon, lights or anything else obvious to account for the usage which returns to zero if I press harder on the pedal and engage Autohold. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

** Before anyone asks, I prefer not to use Autohold in stop start traffic because it's easier to get a smooth start from creep.

It's just a bug/software feature. The car isn't going to be drawing that much power, even if you had the aircon and lights on.

It'll be that creep what's taking the power. Try adaptive regen. I like that for junctions as you roll as in a controlled roll in a normal car

Car on a flat road stopped as normal with 99% regen and light touch on the brakes to kill the last kph. Now waiting for a minute for the traffic to move so keep the brakes on to stop any creep**. The power meter is showing 3 or 4, sometimes higher, but I have no aircon, lights or anything else obvious to account for the usage which returns to zero if I press harder on the pedal and engage Autohold. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

** Before anyone asks, I prefer not to use Autohold in stop start traffic because it's easier to get a smooth start from creep.

This annoys me too. I believe the 3-4% is the car trying to creep, but it can't because the brakes are lightly applied. If I press harder auto hold engages and it goes to 0%, but I have to press really firmly to activate auto hold, which doesn't seem right. This seems like a bug because it should know the brakes are applied and kill the power to the motor under any pedal force. I hope this'll be fixed with a future update (probably not if history is anything to go by!), but I'm slowly adapting to it.

If memory serves, you can disengage auto hold by pressing down the parking brake button (next to gear select dial), which would then enable you to pull away more smoothly again using creep.

Not sure what your experience with Autohold is but mine pulls away very smoothly to creep when in traffic and faster, it's only pulling away after being in Park that you need a little more power to get going and is not as smooth. On Autohold it does show 0% power being used.

I'm not certain the brakes are being applied with only a light press on the brake pedal, it usually takes a larger force to activate the mechanical brakes, I think this is still the motor holding the car and therefore why it's using a small amount of power.

If you drive an automatic ICE car, car will move forward if you release the foot brake or nearly release the brake.

Electric car would do the same. Light touch brake can creep forward. It will save energy if you depress foot brake harder.

I have Autohold enabled but have noticed this..

Come to a stop with the (brake) pedal gently pressed and the power meter shows up to around 6%, press a little harder and it drops to 0%, a bit harder still will engage Autohold and remains at 0% until I either press the brake again or press the accelerator.

The OP may be in the first stage and just needs to press a bit harder.

..............This seems like a bug because it should know the brakes are applied and kill the power to the motor under any pedal force. I hope this'll be fixed with a future update (probably not if history is anything to go by!), but I'm slowly adapting to it.

ETTO 😁👍 ... but personally I like to be able to control the autohold myself by either pressing lightly or hard. For example coming up to a roundabout and having to give way I would prefer to keep a light foot on the brake with no autohold, but coming up to a red traffic light I would want autohold on by braking harder (unless I knew the lights were about to change !)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back