Steering Lock Squeal?

MGJimmy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, we've just hit about 1000 miles on our EV5 and it has recently developed a very metallic squeal when manoeuvring at full steering lock, not every time but it is very noticeable from time to time in car parks and reversing out of our drive onto the road...it doesn't sound like tyre squeal, definitely sounding more like metal on metal. Anyone else experienced this or anything like it in other cars?

Any chance this is coming from the brakes rather than steering?

i get a squeal when reversing off my drive with full left lock on but only then never anywhere else
Mines like yours Billy but only only needs a bit of steering wheel movement no where near full lock and only after standing for a while
Edit if I don’t move the steering wheel and just go straight back it’s nowhere near as bad maybe got something to do with weight Distribution on that side all most sure mines O/S rear brake
Les

Last edited:
There is a known issue with MG ZS with steering squeak, creak, whatever way you’d describe. Mine was and I know of many others. It was driving me to distraction.

Hi all, we've just hit about 1000 miles on our EV5 and it has recently developed a very metallic squeal when manoeuvring at full steering lock, not every time but it is very noticeable from time to time in car parks and reversing out of our drive onto the road...it doesn't sound like tyre squeal, definitely sounding more like metal on metal. Anyone else experienced this or anything like it in other cars?
Is it possibly the rubber gaiters over the drive joints. If they are very dry they may make a squeal on full lock.
However, my steering has develooed a vague knock when you turn the steering wheel. Went to MG dealer and he said it is an known emergent issue that is fixed with a 20 minute while you wait. Car is being done on Tuesday. Will keep you posted on the outcome

I have a creak on my steering wheel it only does it while driving, it started about 3 weeks ago, I have booked it in with MG Brighton to have a look at it.
The steering wheel only needs to turn a quarter distance either way but not every time. I will let you know what happens.

I have a creak on my steering wheel it only does it while driving, it started about 3 weeks ago, I have booked it in with MG Brighton to have a look at it.
The steering wheel only needs to turn a quarter distance either way but not every time. I will let you know what happens.
Thank you, will be interested to hear how it works out :)

Yes, mine only does it in reverse, when I put lock on to turn. I thought it might be the brakes but couldn’t see why, only that it has the sound of metal grinding. I’m 2.5 K and it has been about the last month.

Have had the same on full lock in reverse, it stopped doing it after a long run and use KERS 1 on the motorway. After a week of low usage.....it's back again. One of the delights of an EV is meant to be silent departures....sadly not round here!!

Someone screamed at me yesterday in a Tesco ‘ take your handbrake off!’ That’s how bad it was . I’ll have to pay attention but thinks it’s only when it’s s combination of reverse and turning....

Someone screamed at me yesterday in a Tesco ‘ take your handbrake off!’ That’s how bad it was . I’ll have to pay attention but thinks it’s only when it’s s combination of reverse and turning....
Wow! I think we’ll call the service centre this week and find out what is going on, it seems it more of a common problem than we first thought.

Have had the same on full lock in reverse, it stopped doing it after a long run and use KERS 1 on the motorway. After a week of low usage.....it's back again. One of the delights of an EV is meant to be silent departures....sadly not round here!!
I did wonder if it’s due to the brakes no being used much due to regen, but then you’d have thought this would be common to all EV’s not just MG’s?

Hi booked mine in today Thursday july1st at Chorley MG first slot the dealer had after a Neighbour complaint about it !!
It’s very strange only seems to happen when the cars been parked for a qood few hours or overnight does it the once and then it’s fine until it’s been stood again for a while quiet as a mouse, but after standing sounds like I’ve run over a cat I’m sure it’s the offside rear brake
Les

Hi booked mine in today Thursday july1st at Chorley MG first slot the dealer had after a Neighbour complaint about it !!
It’s very strange only seems to happen when the cars been parked for a qood few hours or overnight does it the once and then it’s fine until it’s been stood again for a while quiet as a mouse, but after standing sounds like I’ve run over a cat I’m sure it’s the offside rear brake
Les
We’ve booked ours in now in Stroud, sounds very similar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom