Steering Lock Squeal?

Sadly it’s also booked in on the 1st so I can’t give you a heads up…will post what they say after though.

Back from the service centre, it is just the brakes, they just needed cleaning. My wife took the car in and although I asked her to get as much info as possible for you all, that’s all she came back with.

Writing this but don’t know why took the car in This morning 08:30 sat and waited at around 09:00 saw a guy take my car into the work shop around 10 minutes later another guy came and asked what was the problem with the car I explained that first thing in a morning or after the car had been standing for a good few hours when I then reversed out of my driveway turning the steering wheel in ether direction there was a loud squealing noise which I think is the O/s rear brake, he then went off, about 15 minutes later I saw my car drive out the workshop and out on to the road another 5 minutes it back it came in to the car park and then reversed one way then the other and then was parked 10 minutes later the same guy came back to the waiting area and said everything appears to be fine and running freely but they had adjusted the brakes so To have it back and to see how it goes and if it is still giving a problem they would need to keep the car overnight to see if it did the noise why they had it and then maybe it might show up. Not sure what was adjusted handbrake maybe as you can’t adjust disc brakes as far as I know in the past when I have had this kind of problem it was out with the pads clean everything Up i:e pad back plates and callipers Smear of copper slip and back together but there should be no need for that at only 9/10 weeks old see what tomorrow brings
Les

Writing this but don’t know why took the car in This morning 08:30 sat and waited at around 09:00 saw a guy take my car into the work shop around 10 minutes later another guy came and asked what was the problem with the car I explained that first thing in a morning or after the car had been standing for a good few hours when I then reversed out of my driveway turning the steering wheel in ether direction there was a loud squealing noise which I think is the O/s rear brake, he then went off, about 15 minutes later I saw my car drive out the workshop and out on to the road another 5 minutes it back it came in to the car park and then reversed one way then the other and then was parked 10 minutes later the same guy came back to the waiting area and said everything appears to be fine and running freely but they had adjusted the brakes so To have it back and to see how it goes and if it is still giving a problem they would need to keep the car overnight to see if it did the noise why they had it and then maybe it might show up. Not sure what was adjusted handbrake maybe as you can’t adjust disc brakes as far as I know in the past when I have had this kind of problem it was out with the pads clean everything Up i:e pad back plates and callipers Smear of copper slip and back together but there should be no need for that at only 9/10 weeks old see what tomorrow brings
Les
I would like to know how the hell they adjust the brakes on a hydraulic disc brake car ?.
The handbrake MAY have some type of manual adjustment, but not the hydraulic foot brake ?.
In reality, it probably just needed the rear pads removing from the callipers and check for any binding between the steel sides of the brake pads surfaces and the mating surfaces of the brake calliper body.
Then, the steel contact surfaces of the pads should be lightly greased and pads refitted to the calliper body.
This slight binding problem is likely to be the issue in 95% of the conditions and sounds that you describe.
Your car has covered very little mileage, but my guess is that when the pads are installed in the callipers, they where not treated with any type of lub on the mating surfaces.
Therefore the pad is very slightly binding on the calliper edge surfaces when the handbrake has been released.
Overnight is very likely when the problem is going to arise.
When you reverse the car, the material fiction surface of one of the pads is still in slight contact with the brake disc.
This foul condition can be heard as a high pitched squeal when you first move the car.
The clearance between the friction material of the brake pad and the contact surface of the steel brake disc, is down to thousands of an inch.
A very small amount of overnight surface rust can form on the surface of steel brake disc and make this problem even worse.
Although on a car this young, it should not be an issue.
But, this really should be a “Gravy” job to diagnose and rectify in less than one hour.
The important question for the dealer here is this :-
Who is going to pick up the tab for the work ?.
This is at the very forefront of ALL dealers minds, before laying a single spanner to your car.
My guess would be that MG would not be willing to honour / paid for this type of rectification work, under a warranty claim.
And also, the dealer will not carry out the work themselves, because you would be very unwilling to pay for the work, on a car that is brand new !.
So, a statement situation is clearly evident, with the customer stuck right in the middle.
Therefor what do you get after complaining and paying a visit to the dealer ?.
A quick test drive by a Tech, followed by a visual inspection on the lift, to ensure there is no major safety concerns with regards to the braking systems on the car.
Once it has been clearly established that there’s is NO serious conditions that surrounds your original complaint, then the car will be return to the customer with a “No fault found” condition attached to it.
Oldest trick in the book !.
If you return and insist on having the pads removed in an attempt to solve the problem.
Then you are very likely to be told that this type of remedial work is NOT covered under the T&C’s of the warranty and will therefore become a chargeable item to the customer.
Unless your dealer kindly agrees to carry out the work FOC of course !.
Workshops work like this, agree who is going to pay the bill, BEFORE you even start to carry out the work on the car.
It was like this when I worked in a very large dealership, many years ago.
And nothing has changed, in fact it has probably become even worse !.
Dealers will NOT install parts under warranty, unless they are first authorised to do so by the manufacture.
If the dealer goes ahead and replaces a non fault found part, the dealership is likely to have the part returned and the claim for the worship time rejected.
The days of just replacing parts to eliminate an intermittent problem reported by a customer, have LONG gone.

Last edited:
Sounds like we all suffer from a loud squeeky brake when reversing when left for a while. It is very annoying and a little embarrassing with neighbours. Let's hope someone finds the fix.

Could be surface rust on the brake discs.....i've had that on loads of cars, especially following rain, or washing the car.

Give the brakes a real good workout.. they don’t get used enough.

Attachments

• A2CAEA81-7AE0-40B4-8EC4-1C179891E10D.gif
    A2CAEA81-7AE0-40B4-8EC4-1C179891E10D.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
I would like to know how the hell they adjust the brakes on a hydraulic disc brake car ?.
The handbrake MAY have some type of manual adjustment, but not the hydraulic foot brake ?.
In reality, it probably just needed the rear pads removing from the callipers and check for any binding between the steel sides of the brake pads surfaces and the mating surfaces of the brake calliper body.
Then, the steel contact surfaces of the pads should be lightly greased and pads refitted to the calliper body.
This slight binding problem is likely to be the issue in 95% of the conditions and sounds that you describe.
Your car has covered very little mileage, but my guess is that when the pads are installed in the callipers, they where not treated with any type of lub on the mating surfaces.
Therefore the pad is very slightly binding on the calliper edge surfaces when the handbrake has been released.
Overnight is very likely when the problem is going to arise.
When you reverse the car, the material fiction surface of one of the pads is still in slight contact with the brake disc.
This foul condition can be heard as a high pitched squeal when you first move the car.
The clearance between the friction material of the brake pad and the contact surface of the steel brake disc, is down to thousands of an inch.
A very small amount of overnight surface rust can form on the surface of steel brake disc and make this problem even worse.
Although on a car this young, it should not be an issue.
But, this really should be a “Gravy” job to diagnose and rectify in less than one hour.
The important question for the dealer here is this :-
Who is going to pick up the tab for the work ?.
This is at the very forefront of ALL dealers minds, before laying a single spanner to your car.
My guess would be that MG would not be willing to honour / paid for this type of rectification work, under a warranty claim.
And also, the dealer will not carry out the work themselves, because you would be very unwilling to pay for the work, on a car that is brand new !.
So, a statement situation is clearly evident, with the customer stuck right in the middle.
Therefor what do you get after complaining and paying a visit to the dealer ?.
A quick test drive by a Tech, followed by a visual inspection on the lift, to ensure there is no major safety concerns with regards to the braking systems on the car.
Once it has been clearly established that there’s is NO serious conditions that surrounds your original complaint, then the car will be return to the customer with a “No fault found” condition attached to it.
Oldest trick in the book !.
If you return and insist on having the pads removed in an attempt to solve the problem.
Then you are very likely to be told that this type of remedial work is NOT covered under the T&C’s of the warranty and will therefore become a chargeable item to the customer.
Unless your dealer kindly agrees to carry out the work FOC of course !.
Workshops work like this, agree who is going to pay the bill, BEFORE you even start to carry out the work on the car.
It was like this when I worked in a very large dealership, many years ago.
And nothing has changed, in fact it has probably become even worse !.
Dealers will NOT install parts under warranty, unless they are first authorised to do so by the manufacture.
If the dealer goes ahead and replaces a non fault found part, the dealership is likely to have the part returned and the claim for the worship time rejected.
The days of just replacing parts to eliminate an intermittent problem reported by a customer, have LONG gone.
Just to be clear, there was no mention of money, they did it FOC. All quiet off the drive this morning…but we’ll see how it is down the line.

I have to say, I don’t find the brakes particularly good. Had to stop pretty sharply last week and it was very tough to stop when the regen wasn’t picking up some of the effort.

I noticed the pedal sinks quite a way down when I first get in and put my foot on the brake in SWMBO's 5 compared to my ZS.
Maybe it's a totally different set up with it not having the collision avoidance and adaptive cruise etc.

Just to be clear, there was no mention of money, they did it FOC. All quiet off the drive this morning…but we’ll see how it is down the line.
Well MGJimmy I’m Sorry to say mines no different just as bad this morning if not worse and I have to agree with. Lovemyev #28, when I rang up the first place I was told that the brake problems might not covered by the warranty as they are a wear and tear item I said after 9/10 weeks you’ve got to be joking so they said we will take a look to find out what the problem is and if parts are required it might be a chargeable job they said, I said at nine weeks old I don’t think so , going to speak with my local repair shop next week not MG they just service and repair any make or model and as done work for me before on other cars as it’s obvious apart perhaps from jacking up the car to check everything is running free as they said not much else was do by the MG dealer yesterday that much I’m sure of.
Les

Well MGJimmy I’m Sorry to say mines no different just as bad this morning if not worse and I have to agree with. Lovemyev #28, when I rang up the first place I was told that the brake problems might not covered by the warranty as they are a wear and tear item I said after 9/10 weeks you’ve got to be joking so they said we will take a look to find out what the problem is and if parts are required it might be a chargeable job they said, I said at nine weeks old I don’t think so , going to speak with my local repair shop next week not MG they just service and repair any make or model and as done work for me before on other cars as it’s obvious apart perhaps from jacking up the car to check everything is running free as they said not much else was do by the MG dealer yesterday that much I’m sure of.
Les
Was this MG at Chorley? Very disappointing if so

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom