Steering Lock Squeal?

Well MGJimmy I’m Sorry to say mines no different just as bad this morning if not worse and I have to agree with. Lovemyev #28, when I rang up the first place I was told that the brake problems might not covered by the warranty as they are a wear and tear item I said after 9/10 weeks you’ve got to be joking so they said we will take a look to find out what the problem is and if parts are required it might be a chargeable job they said, I said at nine weeks old I don’t think so , going to speak with my local repair shop next week not MG they just service and repair any make or model and as done work for me before on other cars as it’s obvious apart perhaps from jacking up the car to check everything is running free as they said not much else was do by the MG dealer yesterday that much I’m sure of.
Les
Sorry ( but not surprised ) that your pads are still sticking Les.
What would I do if it was my car ?.
I would get it done !.
It will drive you bonkers 😜 otherwise.
It COULD cure itself over time, but you could be listening to that noise for a long time otherwise.
I am disappointed, but really surprised with the dealers attitude.
When they refer to :- “If the car needs parts, then there will be a cost”.
Can I just say this, if the car needs brake parts replacing ( which I don’t think it does ) at this age, then why ????.
You would not replace brake pads this early unless you where 100% confident there was a fault with that item.
If that was the case, then there had been a manufacturing fault and in which case, they should be deemed not fit for purpose and covered by the warranty.
I firmly believe that the fault can be simply resolved by removing the pads and checking if they are NO fouling / binding on the surface mating points of the calliper body to pad edge surfaces.
Apply some pad lubricant ( which I don’t think it will have, straight from the factory) and refit.
I truly believe that the fault is a simple fix.
They understand this ( or should ) but the issue is down to one thing only.
Who is going to pay !.
They are 95% sure it will not be covered under warranty, so that leaves either you or the dealer paying !.
It’s really annoying to think that this problem can be made to disappear with less than one hours worth of time.
But as we all know, time is money !.
One reason we buy a new car, is to save us dipping into our pockets for repair work.
Here is a situation when that theory goes out of the window.
I would get the job done Les.
Them pads are likely to be in there for the life of the car !.
Do you want to put up with that noise every day, for the sake of a bit of lub ?????.
Like my Dad use to say to me :-
“Son, it reaches a point where you have to put up, or shut up”.
My Dad had a great way of levelling life problems, bless him !.
Get it done mate !.

My MG5 squealed for the first time yesterday. It was on full lock and reversing onto the drive. It was loud enough for a neighbour to come to their window. We had just collected the car from Luscombe Motors, having taken the car in to have the door mirrors lubricated... The car is 7 months old, but has only covered 1007 miles. I will monitor this from now on. I must add that Luscombe Motors in Leeds actually buffed out a 2 inch scuff on the drivers door mirror cowling, free of charge. That was very good of them, as I didn't mention that I had clipped the mirror on our drive gates... I now fold the mirrors as I approach the gates... duh!!

I would get it done !.
It COULD cure itself over time, but you could be listening to that noise for a long time otherwise.
Can I just say this, if the car needs brake parts replacing ( which I don’t think it does ) at this age, then why ????.
You would not replace brake pads this early unless you where 100% confident there was a fault with that item.
If that was the case, then there had been a manufacturing fault and in which case, they should be deemed not fit for purpose and covered by the warranty.
I firmly believe that the fault can be simply resolved by removing the pads and checking if they are NO fouling / binding on the surface mating points of the calliper body to pad edge surfaces.
Apply some pad lubricant ( which I don’t think it will have, straight from the factory) and refit.
Who is going to pay !.
They are 95% sure it will not be covered under warranty, so that leaves either you or the dealer paying !.
It’s really annoying to think that this problem can be made to disappear with less than one hours worth of time.
One reason we buy a new car, is to save us dipping into our pockets for repair work.
Do you want to put up with that noise every day, for the sake of a bit of lub ?????.
Get it done mate !.
I heard a squeal from my ZSEV on third day of ownership reversing out of a multi story car park bay
The car had been driven on wet roads in the morning on the way to work and parked in the dry for the rest of the day. Reversed out with clockwise rotation to the steering wheel and gentle application of brakes to stop the car. That is when I heard it, a loud squeal!!
I have only ever had to reverse with steering wheel rotation in counter-clockwise direction ever since.
On the rare occasions when I tried to simulate the scenario I did not have wet environment.
Have driven the car a few times since this incident. This was the only instance when it happened.
I am keeping a close watch for recurrence and planning to contact the dealer if so.

Now, I realize that several owners experience this with their cars. So it appears to be a quality issue and if MG were made aware of this fact they would surely want to investigate.

Was this MG at Chorley? Very disappointing if so
I was at Thompson First MG in Stroud. They have been great all along, and we’re at this occasion too. Such a shame that different dealerships treated us so differently.

I would get it done !.
Who is going to pay !.
Get it done mate !.
Hi well took a little video on my phone which I will try to post at the end of this but last time I tried to post a video on here from my phone it would not load anyhow this morning went back to the dealers with the video and spoke again with the same chap I spoke with last Thursday showed him the video and he thinks like me it’s the rear brakes and as request to have the car overnight next week workshop is fully booked until then,
I said in my post #27 I was going to go to my local guy with it but after reading through the warranty the brakes are coved for 12 months So why should I pay someone else to sort out a problem on an almost new car with 3k on the clock and with a problem that’s been there since about 1k but is getting worse so it’s going in again next Monday&Tuesday hopefully to be sorted.

I did mention to the the chap who must be the workshop or service manager about this forum and the fact there are serval owners with the same issue brake squeal when reversing but he never made any comment.
Les

Sorry can’t post video

Last edited:
Hi well took a little video on my phone which I will try to post at the end of this but last time I tried to post a video on here from my phone it would not load anyhow this morning went back to the dealers with the video and spoke again with the same chap I spoke with last Thursday showed him the video and he thinks like me it’s the rear brakes and as request to have the car overnight next week workshop is fully booked until then,
I said in my post #27 I was going to go to my local guy with it but after reading through the warranty the brakes are coved for 12 months So why should I pay someone else to sort out a problem on an almost new car with 3k on the clock and with a problem that’s been there since about 1k but is getting worse so it’s going in again next Monday&Tuesday hopefully to be sorted.

I did mention to the the chap who must be the workshop are service manager about this forum and the fact there are serval owners with the same issue brake squeal when reversing but he never may any comment.
Les

Sorry can’t post video
Hopefully they will strip out the pads and apply some brake lub to the mating surfaces this time !.
Dealers have a nasty reaction to any mention of the words “Car Forums”.
It brings out the worst in them !.
They hate them all like the plague.
Telling them that other people have the same problem and then telling them how it was resolved, by somebody other than themselves, gets their backs up !.
They hate to think 💭 that a customer working in off the street MAY just understand a little bit more of how the car works, the the guy biking in your car.
You can never get to speak to the EV Tech’s who are in the know.
This is 50% of the problem in my opinion.
With my previous car, I had a brilliant understanding with the master tech at my local VW branch.
I had his works e.mail address.
Any issues and I would drop him a quick message explaining the issue prior to booking in the car.
He supported this idea because it gave him time to come up with a plan of action.
This way, the car only spends enough time in the workshop, in order to get the jobs done successfully.
None of this:- “We have not had time to locate the problem today, you will have to bring it in again” - shite !.
Some dealers - Come on !.
You need to get with the program and offer a much slicker service and stop wasting time !.
Think outside of the box and break with the “Old School” way of doing things, move on for God’s sake !.
Talk about living in the past.

Hi MGJimmy and everyone in this tread well car went back to Chorley a week last Tuesday left it overnight as they requested but at 4:15 on the Wednesday nobody had called me so I called them to be told they where just about to call me car was just going on a test run and I could collect it around 17:00 hrs so when I got there I was told the problem was the front brakes not the rears I said you sure I’m been saying rear all along no it’s was the fronts so we have stripped and clean them and now it should be fine, ok thank you I said and home I went next morning Thursday going before I loaded the car up to go away to South Wales for a week I reversed off my drive and you know what’s coming next, it was as bad as ever rang them again that morning and the cars going in again on Monday at 08:30 and I’m not moving until they fix it
Les

I was at Thompson First MG in Stroud. They have been great all along, and we’re at this occasion too. Such a shame that different dealerships treated us so differently.
Hi MGJimmy how have your brakes been has the squeal been fix or not, mines no better after 2 attempts at my dealers going back again see post above #47
Les

Hi MGJimmy how have your brakes been has the squeal been fix or not, mines no better after 2 attempts at my dealers going back again see post above #47
Les
So sorry to hear this Les, ours have been sorted, it was definitely the fronts for us, they cleaned the pads and re-greased them. I thought my wife was mad when she said they were greased as I would’ve thought that would be the worse thing you could do to brakes but it’s turns out it sorted them fine. No issues with them now. I hope they can finally sort them.

So sorry to hear this Les, ours have been sorted, it was definitely the fronts for us, they cleaned the pads and re-greased them. I thought my wife was mad when she said they were greased as I would’ve thought that would be the worse thing you could do to brakes but it’s turns out it sorted them fine. No issues with them now. I hope they can finally sort them.
Hi MGJimmy thank you for your reply and please to hear yours is sorted the dealer did think it was the front on mine done the same ie clean and greased them but it’s not cured the problem for my car and I’m sure it’s coming from the rear any back again on Monday to let them have another go thanks again will do an update when it’s sorted
Les

Hi MGJimmy thank you for your reply and please to hear yours is sorted the dealer did think it was the front on mine done the same ie clean and greased them but it’s not cured the problem for my car and I’m sure it’s coming from the rear any back again on Monday to let them have another go thanks again will do an update when it’s sorted
Les
Any news on this? Mine still makes a racket......

Last edited:
Hi Alan well as I said I took it back to Chorley and this time they had it back in the workshop for around 30 minutes and when I got it back I could see there was a good amount of copper slip grease around the callipers and on brake pads back plates so next morning reversed off my drive and no different at all
I was on the phone the moment they opened to let them know expecting them to say bring it back again but no chance next appointment was over a week away but I was not able too do that one as I was going to be away at that date I said I would call them when I returned

So as I said they had the car for 30 minutes in there work shop I don’t believe that was a enough time to remove the wheels strip out the pads clean lubricate and replace the pads and wheels so that leaves me to think the grease I could see as been put there by some other means.

So the next morning I was going down to WATFORD again so I told them I would bring it back when I returned in about 10 days the first couple of days I was there it was just as before then we had a lot of wet weather for the next 5/6 days and it appears to have stopped and has only done it once since I get back so has all that rain mixed with the grease worked the grease in a bit I don’t know and I am monitoring it now I home again for a few days we will see. I am back down to London week after next, so I’m going on this coming Thursday and am going to Fully Charge live on Friday first so as I said now monitoring the situation and will keep you posted if it returns
Les

Last edited:
For us we haven’t had any troubles, except the odd squeal, always occurs when negotiating multi-storey car parks…the loudest place it can happen.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom