Stuck on a charger - how to unlock

NewMG4me

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Sorry if this has been posted before but yesterday I managed to get the car stuck on a Tesla charger (just outside Harrogate). I dont know how I managed it, but the car would not let go of the charger no matter what I did.

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, this is how to manually release the charger - this is not my video !

In short, on the left hand side of the boot wall, there is a little square. Take that out (keys work perfectly) and find the pull cabled (its labelled) and yank that.

I charged my Trophy to 100% this morning using the granny charger and after it had finished I could not remove the plug. I disconnected the mains plug, tried again, no joy. I wanted to check the battery status using the app and the app requested my password which I entered correctly twice. I gave up and sat in the car. I toggled the lock/unlock button on the battery screen a couple of times and heard the relay activate. The plug could then be removed. When I entered my password into the app I was allowed in.

Coincidence?

Unlocking and re-locking the car using the key fob three or four times will often release the cable but you need to be by the charging socket as it will re-lock after a few seconds.

The first time I charged away from home I got in a bit of a fankle on one of the old Gridserves at Southwaite and thought I couldn't get free. I tried to access the manual release, but couldn't get the wee cover off even when I dug into my luggage and found a nail file. My fingernails certainly wouldn't do it and I don't carry screwdrivers around as a rule. Someone later said the hidden key will do it, is that right?

I got off in the end by pretending to start a new charge, then aborting it. I had been so slow, due to inexperience, that the charger thought it had a new customer!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back