Not really sure how I ended up here?
No really!
But what a refreshingly upbeat post to read @QLeo, instead of all the usual moaning !🤣🤣🤣
How are you feeling about it now?

I love my car (Ive had it nearly 3 months and am at 2800 miles) and was only thinking this morning when I set off how quick and easy the car is to live with. 👍

Thank you. Just doing my bit to balance out the universe.
Still love Goth Leo. I was just thinkinng about that last night as I glided home. But then, I had just taken this pic, so maybe I was just feeling pretty good anyway!

Attachments

• vastenpic-190044-25112023.jpg
    vastenpic-190044-25112023.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42
If you press the accelerator ACC will (temporarily) disengage, so it won't react to traffic (other than in an emergency situation) while doing this. You can tell this by the vehicle in front disappearing from the left side of the driver display. :)

ACC seems to work best with adaptive regen and Sport mode - or at least Custom with Sport acceleration/power delivery.
That my normal driving mode, Sport/Adaptive, but the ACC isn't great in Trophy R33 (may not be the infotainment software that matters though), hoping it improves when I get some updates.

As you may have read elsewhere, ACC seems much improved since the last updates I got. (Info 1100R33, but I don't yet know what else was updated). The big difference is the (lack of) slow down when taking sweeping bends. :) And Normal/Adaptive seems to work fine now ... slowing down could still be more predictive, i.e. more gradual, but functionality seems to be moving in the right direction. :)

Tomorrow will be three weeks since we collected Goth Leo, our MG4 SE LR. We have already done nearly 1400 miles. This forum was very helpful as we stepped up to make the decision whether or not to buy Goth Leo, but there was one aspect of it that I was aware of, and that is, in general, folk post to forums such as this to help in resolving problems. That sometimes may make it appear that one only has problems with MG4s, so I thought I'd describe some of our experience so far, which can be summarised as, "The car is fine. The owners, however..."

We have just returned from a 650-700 mile round trip down south to the Borders and back. We averaged 4.1 miles per kWHr on the entire journey. Using public charge points only, the costs were just under 10p per mile. Yes, we aimed for cheaper chargers when we could, which helped, but nevertheless, the running costs so far have been a lot lower than we expected and lower than our justification sums allowed.

The car itself has behaved itself, with a couple of exceptions. But there's a "but" coming. Let's deal with the car exceptions first.

We have had one occasion when the traffic sign recognition system failed with a loud BOING noise and a scary message on the screen. Mostly I turn this off, as it's not wildly helpful. It would be great to be able to default this to off, but our pre-flight checklist easily includes turning it off. I contacted the dealer about this, who suggested bringing the car in for a check, but that's a 200 mile round trip so we will wait until we have other things to do in Inverness.

We were on our way somewhere a couple of weekends ago, in the rain, and were learning how best to use the window demisters, aware that someone on the forum had a fogging issue. All was fine, but I noticed that the bottom two rows of heater elements for the rear window did not seem to work. Again, I will report back to the dealer on this.

One real annoyance, which I hope they fix because there is no reason for it, is the lack of ambient temperature display.

And finally, we noticed an odd little mark on the front of the car, just to the right of the badge. I want the dealer to have a look at this, but I think it may be the remnants of a sticker that hasn't been adequately cleaned off.

Those are the only issues we can place fair and square on the new car.

Meanwhile, the owners have other problems. One of the reasons we wanted to buy the car now was the realisation that any or all new cars now come with a myriad of systems either for safety or for convenience. It's not so much driving any more as managing the car's systems (I'll resist grumbling into my grey beard at this point.) This makes it necessary to be aware of all these systems, so that when they are invoked, the driver realises what is going on. I'll deal with some of our "firsts" here, all of which gave us a fright, but all of which were understood for what they are, not problems per se, but the reality of driving a modern car. Yes, one may wish for greater control of the software, but that's not a battle we are likely to win.

The fist occasion was taking a left hand bend in a town. I noticed two pedestrians crossing a side road, but there was no danger. But becuse the road curved, the automatic emergency brake system must have considered the pedestrians to be walking into the road, and applied the brakes. Hard. A glance at the screen showed what was happening, but the degree of emergency brake shook us. This was one of those occasions where there was no danger but a system like AEB could not determine that, as it was not to "know" that the road continued into the curve.

We have had one other occasion when the AEB went off. last Saturday. This was in a 20mph zone, with a narrow pavement. A pedestrian was walking towards us, which I could see on the screen representation. But the narrow pavement and narrow road meant the system braked briefly, again quite hard. Some idiot who apparently did not believe in 20mph zones was tailgating me, which was the bigger source of concern, as this time we realised exactly what was happening.

We also had one instance of the drowsiness detection system kicking in. Again, a BOING noise and a message "Driver must take control" or similar. We were approaching an area we used to live in 15 years ago, and were reminiscing, so the system was right - I probably did not have have my full concentration on my driving. We were now much more willing to trust the car's systems, though, and, while suitably aroused from our slumber, we thought this was generally working as intended.

As most people here do, I switch off lane keeping assist, but once I must have forgotten to do this while my foot was on the brake, as it re-activated without my noticing, although my screen scan now takes inn the top left of the screen too, where LKA status is displayed. We came on to a motorway and, yes, I probably strayed too close to a line, and the steering prevented me from further drifting. This was not the violent shudder early MG4 owners have scarily reported, but I don't find it comfortable not being able to steer for a second or two. But again, I can't fault the system, or claim that it did something dangerous.

I found the adaptive cruise control a thing of wonder, but need to experiment with settings to make sure it doesn't brake and accelerate over-aggressively. I was amazed at how quickly I got to trust it. It's a pity the distance to the next car setting doesn't default to greatest distance, and indeed that there isn't one click more, as I sometimes felt a little close to the car in front, but numerous checks showed that the car was adhering to the 2 second rule.

The A9 is a horrible road at the best of times, but I appreciated the MG4's acceleration on a couple of occasions, allowing us to get past slow lorries etc, quickly and safely. I am also appreciating the fact that one can't stall an EV.

Recharging (new EV owners here) has been no problem at all, though we have been fortunate, arriving on a few occasions just as the previous occupant was finishing, or being the ones to make the next person wait. We have only had one broken charger and that was in Melrose, where, it seems, all the locals know that it is duff. We have also been aware how much extra infrastructure is being built (except here in the Highlands, where the Council still think it's 1923)

Someone here had a problem with their dealer drilling holes in the bodywork for the number plates. We have personal plates which for a number of reasons we could not get put on the car immediately. When I did remove the garage-fitted plates, I found that the rear plate was stuck on rather than screwed, which made it easier. I chose to do the same using Gorilla tape. The factory holes are very large, though, and I wonder if the size of the bolts required block a part of the number, making it easier for the garage simply to drill new ones. Not excusing it, but explaining it, perhaps.

We are now much more familiar with the car, and so many of the quirks, if they are quirks, regarding software etc we understand better. We have a pre-flight check of switching off LKA, AEB to alert, traffic sign recognition off etc, all with the foot on the brake. This take a second or two, but we save those seconds in not having ignition to turn or start buttons to press. One thing that is worth noting about the software, though, is that the screen for the driver is really well thought out. It's possible to take in everything in one quick glance. When one of the driver aids goes off, it displays for just a second or two, but it's all there. Other lesser cars <COUGHtesla> don't even have that front screen, making you look to the one side as though you were driving a 1960s mini, let alone one that shows all you need to know easily and intuitively. Well done MG on that.

So if there are new owners or possible new owners out there, I hope that these generally positive experiences are helpful to you when making your own decision. One last really nice observation - we saw quite a few other MG4s on this last trip, and the one before that. They're becoming quite popular, and that can only be a good thing.
Have you had any difficulty in activating one pedal driving - message reads something like 'Not enough power'??

Have you had any difficulty in activating one pedal driving - message reads something like 'Not enough power'??
I'm not sure if you meant your post to be in response to mine, but to answer it, no I've had no trouble, as to the best of my knowledge, our MG4 SE LR doesn't have one pedal driving. :) Maybe there's some recent software that makes this an option, I don't know.
In general, I find the almost-one pedal driving great using maximum regen great, and given the type of driving we do, ideal. The biggest issue is making sure you have your foot on the brake if stopped and not using ACC as otherwise the car uses power even if not moving.

I'm not sure if you meant your post to be in response to mine, but to answer it, no I've had no trouble, as to the best of my knowledge, our MG4 SE LR doesn't have one pedal driving. :) Maybe there's some recent software that makes this an option, I don't know.
In general, I find the almost-one pedal driving great using maximum regen great, and given the type of driving we do, ideal. The biggest issue is making sure you have your foot on the brake if stopped and not using ACC as otherwise the car uses power even if not moving.
Yes it was a response to your post - very positive by the way. I have an MG4 SE standard range 5 weeks old and on the driving screen there is a one pedal button which takes the car to a complete stop and saves on braking hugely. Just occasionally it won't engage. Maybe this will be seen by someone who has this update.

Yes it was a response to your post - very positive by the way. I have an MG4 SE standard range 5 weeks old and on the driving screen there is a one pedal button which takes the car to a complete stop and saves on braking hugely. Just occasionally it won't engage. Maybe this will be seen by someone who has this update.
Oh, that's interesting. I wonder if your facility is a software change from a while back or a hardware difference in your car. (Interesting how we use computer-tech terms for our cars these days isn't it? I just hope we don't get sucked into the consumer-tech myth of the continual "upgrade" cycle for perfectly serviceable kit)
May be worth checking with your car dealer, if only to log the issue if there isn't yet a resolution to your issue.
One reason I;m happy with almost-one pedal driving is that we live very near the coast, and the brake disks rust up really quickly. The first few occasions the brakes are used sounds awful as they get cleaned up. But I'd rather a gentle clean in our steep driveway than find out when I really need them.
But I do love the regen. It seems to give far more nuanced control than depending solely on brakes. We have a real problem with deer in our area. I have some dashcam video taken the other night of one of 3 occasions we had to brake hard, though doing only around 40mph, as deer ran in front of the car. On the same trip of 100 miles from Inverness back home, there were several dead deer in ditches. The cars involved are often, er, unserviceable, as a result.

A bit off topic, but I heard of someone who thinks they avoided a serious accident when their Tesla automatically braked when it saw a deer before the driver did. Is it worth having Active Emergency Braking on in these circumstances, if it's available?

Just occasionally it won't engage. Maybe this will be seen by someone who has this update.
Just checking It's not when the car has 90% charge or more is it ? I presume you are aware it doesn't work until below 90% ? Apologies if you are aware and it;s something else.

A bit off topic, but I heard of someone who thinks they avoided a serious accident when their Tesla automatically braked when it saw a deer before the driver did. Is it worth having Active Emergency Braking on in these circumstances?
I hadn't even thought of that and I hadn't disabled it, but yes, it would not be sensible to disable it in these circumstances. It's on by default, is it not? The problem is really that even if you or the car brake, if you don't see it in time, it's bad news. We had one run out of some undergrowth right at the car, as though it hadn't seen it in its eagerness to run across. We were in our trusty old Land Rover at the time, but still. It saw the car, but then slid on the tar trying to stop itself, and how we didn't run over it with the back wheels I'll never know.
From the little experience we have of AEB, you have to be pretty close before it engages, then engages hard. So I can imagine a scenario where it reacts before you do, but either way, it's brown trousers time.

I hadn't even thought of that and I hadn't disabled it, but yes, it would not be sensible to disable it in these circumstances. It's on by default, is it not? The problem is really that even if you or the car brake, if you don't see it in time, it's bad news. We had one run out of some undergrowth right at the car, as though it hadn't seen it in its eagerness to run across. We were in our trusty old Land Rover at the time, but still. It saw the car, but then slid on the tar trying to stop itself, and how we didn't run over it with the back wheels I'll never know.
From the little experience we have of AEB, you have to be pretty close before it engages, then engages hard. So I can imagine a scenario where it reacts before you do, but either way, it's brown trousers time.
Was just getting the hang of OPD when the service failure happened. Interesting about over the air updates, they may well be the new revenue stream for dealer networks/manufacturers to replace the fall in service revenues. Buy/PCP or lease the car but pay for the updates?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back