Suggested max charging level for city driving and charger type

megamac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

As I am going to be driving my ZS EV Trophy Connect around central London most of the time, what is the max charge level I should set for the battery? The app shows 80% as "Health Mode" and above that it shows it as "Long Trip Mode". Should 80% be the setting by default for me?

Also what do you suggest I let it run down to before topping up? Wait until it hits the low 40s? Lower than that?

And with respect to the best charger to use, loads of "cheap" options in our neighbourhood with Ubtricity points that charge at around 5-7kWh and at 24p per kWh.

Are those better to use than the rapid or high powered chargers (unless I really need to due to urgency to get going or availability)

Thanks
Nic

As long as its a long range one yes keep charge under 80 and above 20 but sometimes you will need 100 to balance the battery

As long as its a long range one yes keep charge under 80 and above 20 but sometimes you will need 100 to balance the battery
Thanks for the suggestions.

How often would you suggest topping up to 100%? Once a month? Once a quarter?

Yes, it's the long range one (should have mentioned that....)

If you rarely do any DC charging I don't think the balancing is that critical.
I've done it once on my MG5 in 9 months and my battery SOH is 100%.

There is no set rule for balancing as far as I know. Once a month or every 2 months is what I do. I regularly charge my Kona on the 3kW granny charger upto 80% at the weekend. That usually lasts for a week when it goes down to 30-40%. I also use the free 7kW Pod-Point chargers at Tesco once a week and get a few kWh's in while the wife is shopping. :)

There is no set rule for balancing as far as I know. Once a month or every 2 months is what I do. I regularly charge my Kona on the 3kW granny charger upto 80% at the weekend. That usually lasts for a week when it goes down to 30-40%. I also use the free 7kW Pod-Point chargers at Tesco once a week and get a few kWh's in while the wife is shopping. :)
Thanks. We plan to do the same free-charge at Costco, Tesco in Kensington and Sainsbury's in Camden :)

It's worth remembering a balance charge is to 100% then keep it plugged in a few more hours and let it do its thing as said less needed if you stick to ac charging

Wouldn't you charge exactly the same 80% - 20% on a short range MG5.
Yes I did not mention that as this is the zs room just for clarification ZS SR charge to 100% whenever you can ZS LR charge to 80% most the time but 100% and balance now and then more if you use DC charging

MG Manual says to charge up to 100% once a month to balance the battery. Appart of that 80% is a way to go from manual.
Yer tesla said the same thing they soon changed it the fact is LFP battery prefer 100%

I charge my MG5 standard range once a week on my home 7kw charger over night, so it will go to 100% each time. Only needed to use a rapid charger 4 times in the first year of ownership. Typically it is down to 30% at the end of the week.

I am about to get a long range MG5. I will prob. be charging it once a week on a granny charger with the occasional long distance trip when I will have to use a fast charger. I would love advice for best conservation of the battery so far as charging is concerned. At the moment I drive a hybrid which I will be keeping. I charge it to 100% every time on a granny charger. Is that the wrong thing to do for the longevity of the battery. Thoughts would be most welcome. I want to get off on the right foot with the MG having waited seven months for it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom