Sync EV Home Charger and Balance Charging

Aussi55

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone,

Since October last year when I got my ZS EV and home charger, I have not been able to get a balance charge. I have tried to initiate it after a full charge by unlocking and locking, it starts a charge at 6kw for a short time then stops.

Today after a full charge overnight I tried again, same result. I decided to try the granny charger and it started a balance charge (MG symbol constantly on) and has been that way for nearly 2 hours so far).

To me I'm thinking the sync EV charger doesn't consider the 300w draw of the balance charge enough so it thinks the charge session is over and shuts down.

I have emailed them to see what their view is.

Using EV Watchdog my battery cell voltages look pretty close so hopefully it's not too far out of balance.

I'm also not on the latest BMS version.

Has anyone else been able to get a balance charge using the sync EV charger?

Will update when I get a response from Sync EV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-150409.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-150409.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20211115-150002.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-150002.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20220118-092951.png
    Screenshot_20220118-092951.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 127
I have a SyncEV but no car to try it with.

You shouldn't have to do anything to initiate the balance so if it works on the granny, but not on the SyncEV then it's definitely an issue they need to fix.

Please keep us updated, watching with interest as SyncEV have a long way to go to make the charger 'great' from what I can already see without having a car to plug into it...

Another factor could be I have the wrong BMS version, current on 0106600R17.

Was going to leave until service in August but will give dealer a call and see if I can get it all updated.

I have a SyncEV but no car to try it with.

You shouldn't have to do anything to initiate the balance so if it works on the granny, but not on the SyncEV then it's definitely an issue they need to fix.

Please keep us updated, watching with interest as SyncEV have a long way to go to make the charger 'great' from what I can already see without having a car to plug into it...
Agree, the charger is good in terms of size etc, and I like the ability to change charge current to match solar energy production but the downsides so far I have found:

Often needs a reboot to start a charge session.

Stay awake function either a pulse every 2 minutes which creates all kinds of clicks as car initiates, or trickle which takes 1.4kw while waiting for cheap rate.

Charge log doesn't record cost despite ability to put in rates.

They have a history of making promises on software updates then not delivering. I was told stay awake option would be changed before Christmas, they didn't say which year!

All in it's okay but wouldn't choose again.

I would suggest to keep emailing them. They have been responsive to me so far but without a car it's hard to offer more than just software based suggestions.

3 months with a good developer could improve the app no end, they probably just don't want to pay for it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom