Tacky/sticky steering wheel

gasfit

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
When ambient temperature is over 14 degrees, my steering wheel on my MG5 feels a little sticky/tacky. Have tried cleaning etc, but has not sorted it. Wondered if any others owners have the same thing or may have a suggestion to fix this? Cheers

Never had this problem myself but have you tried alcohol wipes?

Not I had a or get a problem yes the alcohol wipes would work I thinks

Hi
Never had the problem
Try a few baby wipes then dry it with a clean microfibre towel
Or
Warm soapy water on a microfibre towel then dry it with a clean microfibre towel
Hope this helps
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Baby wipes are also good for getting dead bugs off the front of your car too
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

When ambient temperature is over 14 degrees, my steering wheel on my MG5 feels a little sticky/tacky. Have tried cleaning etc, but has not sorted it. Wondered if any others owners have the same thing or may have a suggestion to fix this? Cheers
If the rubber in the steering wheel has got overheated, quite possible last summer, it may have vulcanised a bit. Mix up baking soda and water to a paste and use it to clean the wheel. It will remove the vulcanised rubber. Remember to rinse off well b

I could tell if a female bus driver had driven the bus before me because the steering wheel felt sticky especially if they used hand creams.

Never had this problem myself but have you tried alcohol wipes?
Be really cautious with alcohol on coated leather as it tends to make the coating blister and come off. I had problems a few years back with this being caused by alcohol hand gel...

The best bet for cleaning this would be water-based baby wipes, not ones with alcohol in them, just water based ones.

I don't suppose you have used any car interior cleaning products in the car such as those dashboard sprays have you?
Otherwise as suggested by others it could be hand creams or alcohol hand sanitiser residue transferred to the steering wheel.
I like the suggestion of using Bicarbonate to clean the wheel but I'd not apply it as a paste as you could find yourself in difficulty removing the paste from the perforations. I'd only mix a solution of Bicarbonate of soda and a couple of microfibre cloths (one dampened with the solution and one to dry and buff) and be sure both to get the steering wheel switches wet.

Warm water and fairy liquid to clean it off. Happens a lot with our works vehicles. Mixture of skin/sweat/products on peoples hands. Then coat the surfaces with autoglym vinyl and rubber care. Leaves a nice shine and smells amazing 😃

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom