Tailgate doesn’t lock!

bluemgboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I’ve never posted before and only got my mg4 last November. But I have a problem - the tailgate doesn’t lock even when I centrally lock the car.

This may have been the case since I took delivery or maybe a new thing. It never occurred to me to check the boot was locked every time I plipped the key. I only noticed when securing it at an airport car park before going on holiday.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Is it a software or settings thing? There are so many!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

You should be able to tell if the boot was locked when you locked the car if you open and close the boot with the key in your pocket. Once you close it again, the indicators flash to confirm it’s locked.

If the boot was open when you locked the car, and wasn’t locking for some reason, the horn should beep, to warn you that a door or the boot couldn’t be locked properly.

As said above, that is normal, expected behaviour for the car.

I have great fun trying to find out if my 'faraday cage ' tin box and wallet are working when I take the spare in my luggage as a back-up when traveling far from home. Generally when charging, placing the live key far enough away from the car to not influence car sensors, then walking around checking all doors including boot - must look dodgy to say the least. Sometimes it works, sometimes not .
You don't have to blip the keyfob, just having it on you is enough. But that is the same for all doors 👍

I bought 2 Faraday pouches last April but one has failed. (The fine wires break over time as you open/close the pouch.) The tin box will work if completely metal but I was really advising when you to use the tinfoil option in the luggage when travelling though it will work just as well as a tin box at home although is more fragile.

I’ve never posted before and only got my mg4 last November. But I have a problem - the tailgate doesn’t lock even when I centrally lock the car.

This may have been the case since I took delivery or maybe a new thing. It never occurred to me to check the boot was locked every time I plipped the key. I only noticed when securing it at an airport car park before going on holiday.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Is it a software or settings thing? There are so many!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Yes leave the key in the house,

It's very useful when your keys are buried in your bag .However do make sure not to leave key in said bag in boot and shut the boot!!!!!

I bought 2 Faraday pouches last April but one has failed. (The fine wires break over time as you open/close the pouch.) The tin box will work if completely metal but I was really advising when you to use the tinfoil option in the luggage when travelling though it will work just as well as a tin box at home although is more fragile.
Easy way to check this is to put your mobile phone in it and then call the number via landline etc. easy for me as I have a work phone. If the pouch is working, you won’t be able to connect.
I have the same feature in my ZS EV MK1 when locking the doors, the boot doesn’t lock until I put the fob in my wallet. Annoying as you always have to check if it’s locked to make sure everything is OK.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back