Temporary spare wheel/tyre for ZS EV

John Sauve Rodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Any of you chaps know where I can get one and not break the bank? Last week I had a blowout that destroyed the tyre; the compressor/liquid goo was useless and I think for me one of thos thin-looking tyres will suit me better. Any ideas?

I just got one, wouldn't be without one, otherwise it's a trip on a flat bed. But get yourself a long lever wheel nut brace (£10 on ebay), those wheel nuts are a bugger to get off.
Agreed (y).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whichever one you get, make sure you check which wheel bolts it requires.

On my mk1, the spare I bought is a VW pattern wheel, and they use a different bolt chamfer. A few quid on ebay gets a set of replacement bolts you can keep in the boot.

The VW space saver wheel bolt pitch is the same as the ZS EV and will fit just fine, but if you use a VW space saver wheel you WILL require four suitable VW wheel bolts.
These will need to be used when you use the VW space saver emergency wheel on the car.
The official MG space saver comes as a complete kit, which includes the jack & handle / wheel brace etc and also the blown foam storage case, that houses all the necessary equipment in case of a puncture etc.
It foam lay out, fits neatly inside of the space saver wheel, then the kit falls into the wheel well in the boot.
If you can locate an official MG kit, it maybe a neater option.
When the space saver kit was first released for the Gen1 ZS EV from MG the cost was around £125.00.
It was on a then promotion deal back then.
So, I grabbed one quickly !.
Soon after this the price increased rapidly and it reached £250.00 when I last looked.
I guess you pays your money and takes your choice really.

Thanks Lovemyev (I love mine too, though I am not sure if he/she/it/they fully appreciate it). Inspired by you I went online and found a company called The Wheel Shop - all the MG EV models are there and they offer full-size and thin emerg tyres - all with jacks. For my ZS abt £140. Thanks again.

Any of you chaps know where I can get one and not break the bank? Last week I had a blowout that destroyed the tyre; the compressor/liquid goo was useless and I think for me one of thos thin-looking tyres will suit me better. Any ideas?
I bought a full alloy and new tyre for about £160 a few years back on e bay

Quite a few about

Attachments

• IMG_2249.png
    IMG_2249.png
    649 KB · Views: 72
I have a spare MG ZS EV emergency space saver kit which I didn't include with the car when I part exchanged it for an MG4. I'm in southern Hampshire if anybody is interested: it's been used for about 6 miles to get somewhere better!

Just a word of warning, it's absolute murder trying to get the wheel trims off without breaking them! I decided not to bother to get locking bolts or a spare wheel in the end because they're so difficult. But we use ours strictly as a local runaround, so a flat tyre isn't going to be a big problem.

In UK maybe different appropriate answer, but a full size spare tyre was my choice, in Oz, given distance between towns. If you search for FB page "MG EV Owners Australia", then search within that site you find this response there to your question. Unfortunately, ICE MG wheels (often replaced for mags) do not fit for studs or size, so a full spare from MG rim to match was organised through MG spares locally (Nowra). The matching tyre in Oz is Michelin Premacy 4ST (upgrade but tread match from 3ST) but without pressure sensor. Likely cost close to AU$900 for rim + tyre. The boot's formed space holds full size mag spare well but you'll need a 120mm M8 bolt to match the provided lock-down, applied through (for example) a ply disk on top of the rim to hold tools... brace, bolt spanner (13mm), chock for under the jack, pair of chocks for wheels. The jack, a breaker bar, etc, fit neatly around the edges.

Just to note, if you use a full size wheel and tyre as your spare, then you will lose the facility of the maximising the full
capacity off storage in the boot area.
Using a full size spare wheel & tyre, means that the boot space cover board, will need to be lifted to the higher setting, to accommodate the hight of full size spare wheel & tyre 🛞.
The space saver wheel still allows the full maximum boot space by utilising both levels with the boot floor.
Everybody’s usage case will be different of course.
It’s a Pro’s and Con’s situation really.

As you say, pro's and con's.
For me, top concern was driving safely: with balanced wheels (esp front wheels), with safety at speed over 60-80kph (depending on road surface), and unlimited km range before swapping wheels back. The higher boot-deck setting still leaves useful space under the deck for tools tarps etc. For daily use, the higher deck setting is actually easier to load and unload, and adequate.
I have heard of others using a japanese model of space saver - but do not recall which make-model.
As for goop, I am told it can lead to early retirement of the damaged tyre as it can prevent future puncture repairs... and clog the remote pressure gauge.
I had to use the spare within the first 1,000k's - thanks to a tradie's dropping a box of tech screws.

As you say, pro's and con's.
For me, top concern was driving safely: with balanced wheels (esp front wheels), with safety at speed over 60-80kph (depending on road surface), and unlimited km range before swapping wheels back. The higher boot-deck setting still leaves useful space under the deck for tools tarps etc. For daily use, the higher deck setting is actually easier to load and unload, and adequate.
I have heard of others using a japanese model of space saver - but do not recall which make-model.
As for goop, I am told it can lead to early retirement of the damaged tyre as it can prevent future puncture repairs... and clog the remote pressure gauge.
I had to use the spare within the first 1,000k's - thanks to a tradie's dropping a box of tech screws.
The manufactures gloop pretty much makes the tyre unusable after its use your right !.
The product “Holts Tyre Wld” on the other hand can be washed out of the tyre, according to the manufacturer “Holts” that is.
The gloop canister has a shelf life also and is expensive to replace.
It’s usually every three years, I know the VAG replacement gloop is about £90 which is spiteful !.

I have a spare MG ZS EV emergency space saver kit which I didn't include with the car when I part exchanged it for an MG4. I'm in southern Hampshire if anybody is interested: it's been used for about 6 miles to get somewhere better!
I could be most interested Sue from Hamphire;

Last edited:
Hi, will deal with this later. Have taken your number down, so suggest you redact your post to avoid internet scrapers grabbing it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom