Tempted with the KIA EV6

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So I've enjoyed my MG5 and I can trade it in more than I paid so I'm tempted to get the KIA EV6 and just splash out. All the reviews say its the best EV out there and doesn't cost the earth. Any thoughts? I was looking at the Marvel R but if that's going to be 35k plus I'd prefer to spend another 6k and get the KIA EV6 on the pure fact everyone says its the best out there and with its charging speeds and range etc it sort of future proofs the car and can keep it for many years.

In my MG5 I'm getting a bit bored of wheel spinning. I feel the car is too fast for what it's built for.

Still can't use Superchargers - I'd get a Model 3 at that price. With a Tesla you can drive across the continent and let the Sat Nav decide on the charging waypoints. No Plugshare, ABRP, ZapMap, RFID, charging apps, etc. required.

Still can't use Superchargers - I'd get a Model 3 at that price. With a Tesla you can drive across the continent and let the Sat Nav decide on the charging waypoints. No Plugshare, ABRP, ZapMap, RFID, charging apps, etc. required.
Yes I used to want the model 3 but you can't fit much in the boot with it being a saloon. And the comparable model Y is it is much much more money than the EV6 and reviews seem to put it above the tesla. I don't tend to do massive trips in the car so 300 mile range and normal chargers would do me fine

Ioniq5 and EV6, same cake, different icing:D (E-GMP)

I also considered the Ioniq5, couldn't find one to even look at. Like many reviewers I'm not that fond of the idea of all buttons being software controlled.

A local ATM was unusable because the touch area of the screen didn't match where the software had drawn the buttons. I was able to go to the next ATM, what if it was your car?

However you do get reduced cost IONITY charging both in UK and across Europe which is the closest alternative to the Tesla Supercharger network

Ioniq5 and EV6, same cake, different icing:D (E-GMP)

I also considered the Ioniq5, couldn't find one to even look at. Like many reviewers I'm not that fond of the idea of all buttons being software controlled.

A local ATM was unusable because the touch area of the screen didn't match where the software had drawn the buttons. I was able to go to the next ATM, what if it was your car?
It's pretty much a style choice between the two, isn't it? Although when you compare spec for spec one brand is a tad more expensive than the other. both are good long term choices.

I just walked down to the local Morrisons to use the InPost locker. There's one genie point charger there. One car charging, two Model 3s waiting.. car park packed, second M3 reversing into ridiculously tight space next to the two charging bays. 12 petrol pumps, many available. If it was me I'd look at the maps Superchargers vs Ionity and also see if there's maps for coming soon chargers in the next 12 months. I hadn't realised how bad the situation was with public chargers not keeping up, as mentioned often on the MG podcast, there's one public charger installed for every 50+ cars sold so it's getting much worse very quickly. I started EV driving in 2015 when you could just pull up to the one Ecotricity charger at a mway services and get a free charge (rarely any queue), this was before they became unreliable due to age and patching on CCS heads. It wasn't great but in hindsight was superb! If you're not bothered about the charging networks then unless you have cash to burn as a private buyer I don't see the advantage over an MG.. it's only a car.

Wasn't comparing the product more the technology. Some reviewers were critical of the "clunky" buttons but others liked the idea of not having to control basic functions through software, sometimes buried in submenus. I am an IT engineer but still of the latter thought, there is no ambiguity if a button goes "click". You should hear my main computer keyboard:)

If you look in the dedicated forums, the EV6 has its fair share of problems at the moment.
Being an early adopter isn't usually pain free!

Wasn't comparing the product more the technology. Some reviewers were critical of the "clunky" buttons but others liked the idea of not having to control basic functions through software, sometimes buried in submenus. I am an IT engineer but still of the latter thought, there is no ambiguity if a button goes "click". You should hear my main computer keyboard:)
Cherry?

So I've enjoyed my MG5 and I can trade it in more than I paid so I'm tempted to get the KIA EV6 and just splash out. All the reviews say its the best EV out there and doesn't cost the earth. Any thoughts? I was looking at the Marvel R but if that's going to be 35k plus I'd prefer to spend another 6k and get the KIA EV6 on the pure fact everyone says its the best out there and with its charging speeds and range etc it sort of future proofs the car and can keep it for many years.

In my MG5 I'm getting a bit bored of wheel spinning. I feel the car is too fast for what it's built for.
I had the EV6 for an extended test drive. It is a very good car. I would say overall a better built and thought-out package than my Tesla M3P. I intend to wait until it has been out for a little while and see how prices settle before deciding - there is a performance model due next Year too.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m getting the kia Soul early next Year to give that a try replacing the ZS.
The Tesla Supercharging network is great to have, but I don’t really use it that much. An achievable 250+ mile range makes charging outside of home on a regular basis not that important for me - so most of the latest crop of larger battery EV‘s suit my needs without too much reliance on rapid chargers.

Is the EV6 higher to get in and out of compared to the MG5?

Same question for the Ionic 5 please?

Is the EV6 higher to get in and out of compared to the MG5?

Same question for the Ionic 5 please?
Maybe slightly higher than the MG5. I can't say I noticed the difference. Beautiful car, beautiful drive. But unless I get the 4wd it's no faster really than the MG5. So my budget option is keep the 5 and get better tyres and hope that sorts the wheel spinning. Maybe when we get my wife a car of her own when MG bring out a small cheap EV hatchback I'll treat myself to an expensive car. For now I can't say I trust her not to damage it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom