Terminating Charging - PodPoint

Jimpeem

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Having only used rapid chargers out and about, I decided to try a Type 2 connection on a PodPoint charger (Tesco Express in Baldock). Its a free one. When I decided to stop, I could find no instruction for how to do it. Yank out the connectors? A bit irregular. But anyway they were locked in. Well finally I called PodPoint and was advised to lock then unlock the car 5 times. That did it: then I could pull out the connectors - from the MG first.

Has anybody else had the problem or was it one-off. Strange though for there to be no “Stop Charging” guide.

How did you start the charge?
Normally it gives you something like 15 minutes then shuts off unless you confirm the charge using the app.

When I used a PodPoint at Tesco in Hunstanton, it had instructions telling you to unlock the car, remove the cable from the car, then unplug from the PodPoint. You need to unlock using the button on the key, then immediately remove the cable from the car, or it relocks the cable and continues charging!

With Pod Point Type 2 units.

Plug in your car first and unplug it first when you finish. Locking and unlocking your car 4/5 times resets the pin in your car and tells it to lift put of the cable.

Taking the cable out of your car first tells the Pod Point that the connection has been stopped. The other way round makes it panic and lock in place because it suspects someone may be playing silly buggers.

I've used both car first and charger first methods of disconnecting the cable on Pod Point 7kW chargers near me, either one works. The main thing, to stop the charge, is to unlock the car and open a door to stop it relocking. Then you can disconnect it in any order, although disconnecting the car first is the recommended order.

Does your ZS not charge when unlocked? My MG5 will re lock the cable and resume charging if I unlock it and open a door.
My ZS will resume charging if I re-lock it, it won't charge unlocked, it's not had the update.
SWMBO's MG5 does not resume charging or re-lock the charge port, if I unlock it and open the door.

Having only used rapid chargers out and about, I decided to try a Type 2 connection on a PodPoint charger (Tesco Express in Baldock). Its a free one. When I decided to stop, I could find no instruction for how to do it. Yank out the connectors? A bit irregular. But anyway they were locked in. Well finally I called PodPoint and was advised to lock then unlock the car 5 times. That did it: then I could pull out the connectors - from the MG first.

Has anybody else had the problem or was it one-off. Strange though for there to be no “Stop Charging” guide.
This happened to us on a free pod point charger in Tesco. It was because we’d opened the doors. The car though it was being stolen! The 5x trick worked, but to disconect early just take out the car first then the public charger. DON’T OPEN THE DOORS. good luck.

This happened to us on a free pod point charger in Tesco. It was because we’d opened the doors. The car though it was being stolen! The 5x trick worked, but to disconect early just take out the car first then the public charger. DON’T OPEN THE DOORS. good luck.
How does the car know it's being stolen by someone opening a door ?
Opening the door after unlocking prevents the charge port re-locking on both my Gen 1 ZS and SWMBO's MG5.
On the Gen 2 ZS, if you don't open a door the automatic re-locking takes place "in a few seconds" if you use the remote key fob and 30 seconds if you use the door button (page 153/154 of the manual).
On the Gen 1 it relocks after 30 seconds, if unlocked with the key fob or the door button.

I've just discovered this problem, also at PodPoint at Tesco - the lock/unlock trick worked for me as well. I mean, if you can claim the charge on the app, why can't you stop it on the app as well?

It was annoying - while I was wrestling with the car, the person beside me just strolled up to his car, removed his cable without seeming to try to do anything. I didn't check what the car was, but it had buttons beside the charging socket under the flap - perhaps one of them is a "Finished - you can let go now!" button.

It was annoying - while I was wrestling with the car, the person beside me just strolled up to his car, removed his cable without seeming to try to do anything. I didn't check what the car was, but it had buttons beside the charging socket under the flap - perhaps one of them is a "Finished - you can let go now!" button.
Probably a lock/unlock button that works off the keyless key fob.

I normally use the mg app to cancel the charge. Can also cancel from the battery screen.

Occasionally I have that embarrassing moment when I'm pulling on a cable then realise the car is still locked.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom