• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tesco Pod Point price increase?

myfirstev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just to point out that Tesco charging points have increased their prices from 28p per kwh up to 50p. Not sure if this is everywhere or just my area (pembrokeshire) but worth keeping an eye on it.

Those were the prices announced previously to commence on 1st November. No increase since. Most people concentrated on the 7kW cost so forgot about the rapid price.

Quite cheap aren't they, compared to many. The 7kW 28p is cheaper than my daytime rate, and someone else was complaining about Gridserve being thieving wotsits at 60p, when they are providing service on a motorway which is always more costly for fuel.

I did my first paid charge at Tesco's yesterday and it cost me £3.75 for the two hours I usually park there to have my breakfast and do my mid week shop once a week.
I guess I've had my money's worth out of them, once a week for the last 30 months at their current rate would have cost me £450.
28p is nearly 2p less than my rate at home which is 29.7p.

If you are a fast eater, you can still get the first 15 mins for free by not using the app
Oh No Eye Roll GIF by Aardman Animations

I think the penny has now dropped, that Tesco's are now charging for charge, so to speak !.
Our local Tesco has four EV bays and every single week without fail, when we make our weekly shopping trip, they are always full of EV's charging !.
Last week I was a little shocked to see that all four bays where still occupied, but this week was a different story, now only one bay in use !.
The free loader in the huge "Fat e.Tron" and the white EV van, looks like they have now moved on !.

Oh, good. I volunteer for the supermarket pick up runs for the local foodbank (emptying the collection points, not standing round outside - often two full trolley loads, thank you, you generous people!!) and Tesco was always my favourite, as I could charge while collecting, but more importantly be in one of the nearest spaces to the store. The pickup probably takes 15 minutes tops so I can still legitimately use the bays.

I wonder how long it will be before they remove the 15 minute grace period and I think they should as it encourages misuse and it causes charging spaces to be taken up by those who just plug in and go shopping for an hour.
I was a bit miffed that they start charging (price) you from when you connect, so when you confirm the charge you don't get 15 minutes free.

Definitely worth checking the price of all pod point chargers before using them.

The ones at our local shopping mall have just gone up from 14p/kwh to 65p/kwh. A 500% increase, with no warning or notification on the app. And these are only 7kw chargers - I won't be using them again, needless to say.

I’ve had my 5 LR since March and so far just topped 9000 miles, I use a Rolec home charger with the EV app for overnight charging with Octopus, my previous car Octavia Scout would use around £100.00 per week in Diesel 😱 even I can’t believe the savings. Never needed a charging point so I’m well happy 🤗

Attachments

• C54A53C7-CFED-434A-8382-645F50642AB3.jpeg
    C54A53C7-CFED-434A-8382-645F50642AB3.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 60
Does it make a difference to pricing if you’re a Podpoint customer? I.E. have one of their home chargers?

I wonder how long it will be before they remove the 15 minute grace period and I think they should as it encourages misuse and it causes charging spaces to be taken up by those who just plug in and go shopping for an hour.
I was a bit miffed that they start charging (price) you from when you connect, so when you confirm the charge you don't get 15 minutes free.
Not quite sure what the problem is with plugging in and going shopping for an hour. Surely that is exactly what they were put there for?

Tesco - charge for charging. Simple answer to reason. At my local Tesco EV owners in nearby office blocks using "free" charging to charge cars whilst at work, hence bays always full. Doubt if any of them would know what a Tesco store looked like from inside

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom