• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tesco Pod Point price increase?

I did my first paid charge at Tesco's yesterday and it cost me £3.75 for the two hours I usually park there to have my breakfast and do my mid week shop once a week.
I guess I've had my money's worth out of them, once a week for the last 30 months at their current rate would have cost me £450.
28p is nearly 2p less than my rate at home which is 29.7p.
Have you thought about changing to economy 7 tariff? The night rate is almost half these figures.

Those were the prices announced previously to commence on 1st November. No increase since. Most people concentrated on the 7kW cost so forgot about the rapid price.

Would have been nice to have heard from Tesco, they are quick to send out other c**p when it suits them.

Oh, good. I volunteer for the supermarket pick up runs for the local foodbank (emptying the collection points, not standing round outside - often two full trolley loads, thank you, you generous people!!) and Tesco was always my favourite, as I could charge while collecting, but more importantly be in one of the nearest spaces to the store. The pickup probably takes 15 minutes tops so I can still legitimately use the bays.
Your lucky if they have put the charging points "nearest spaces to the store" my local Tesco has put them the furthest away and as we are both disable can not use them.

That must be the exception. Most places I've seen seem to put them close to the entrance. Personally, I'd not be that bothered either way.

I think the penny has now dropped, that Tesco's are now charging for charge, so to speak !.
Our local Tesco has four EV bays and every single week without fail, when we make our weekly shopping trip, they are always full of EV's charging !.
Last week I was a little shocked to see that all four bays where still occupied, but this week was a different story, now only one bay in use !.
The free loader in the huge "Fat e.Tron" and the white EV van, looks like they have now moved on !.
My local Tesco is next to a large residential area, and whilst they offered free 7KWh charging, some people parked overnight, even though there is supposed to be a 3 hour limit. Several times when I've walked past, the PodPoint green light has been flashing, indicating full charge, but the cars are still connected. It has certainly become a bit easier to find a vacant charging point since they started charging.

Not quite sure what the problem is with plugging in and going shopping for an hour. Surely that is exactly what they were put there for?
@Kithmo was referring to people plugging in getting the 15 minutes free and not confirming, thereby not paying anything but therefore blocking the spot for an hour. :)

I wonder how long it will be before they remove the 15 minute grace period and I think they should as it encourages misuse and it causes charging spaces to be taken up by those who just plug in and go shopping for an hour.
I was a bit miffed that they start charging (price) you from when you connect, so when you confirm the charge you don't get 15 minutes free.
Doubt it, all my local Tesco Pod Point bays are now empty.

On a similar topic, I received this message from Genie Point this morning, they are going for a time of day tariff approach with their rates ????.
Opinions on this folks ??.

They are branding it as "Genieflex".

GENIEPOINT 1 2022-11-12 at 13.24.51.png

GENIEPOINT 2  2022-11-12 at 13.25.24.png

The TESCO 7-kwh rate at 28p. Example if I put £5.00 into my account will I get a five-hour charge?

Just to point out that Tesco charging points have increased their prices from 28p per kwh up to 50p. Not sure if this is everywhere or just my area (pembrokeshire) but worth keeping an eye on it.
Local Sainsburys may still be free mine is at the mo (but prob not for long)

I park my car in supermarket car parks AS FAR AWAY as I can from other users, usually some corner far away from the store opening, so to at least mineralize my chance of having some inconsiderate muppet open their car door on mine, or just as bad, some lazy piece of dirt leaving a trolley and not putting it back.
I've actually on many occasion simply turned around and come back as I couldn't find the 'perfect' spot, far away from the entrance.
If I have an electric car it'd drive me totally nuts if I had to charge on the run, as then you've basically no option but to have you car sardined up against others. That's the stuff of my nightmares.

I try another TESCO about 5 miles away and that was a free charge. However, I still have a COSTCO close by and that is free charge and under cover too.

I charged at a Tesco tonight which had 50kW charger and it was 50p a unit with no 15 minutes free.

Not quite sure what the problem is with plugging in and going shopping for an hour. Surely that is exactly what they were put there for?
No problem if you confirm the charge and pay.
FWIW, I don't plug in if my battery is nearly full anyway so as not to block the charger for someone who may need it.
Have you thought about changing to economy 7 tariff? The night rate is almost half these figures.
Unfortunately I'm stuck in limbo with my SMETS1 smart meter, they can't give me a SMETS2 (some new ruling by the government I think) and they don't yet have a solution to updating it to work with the new communication protocol. I am already on an EV tariff with EDF and when this does get sorted I will be on a 5p/kWh overnight cheap rate from 00:30 to 7:30.

I park my car in supermarket car parks AS FAR AWAY as I can from other users, usually some corner far away from the store opening, so to at least mineralize my chance of having some inconsiderate muppet open their car door on mine, or just as bad, some lazy piece of dirt leaving a trolley and not putting it back.
I've actually on many occasion simply turned around and come back as I couldn't find the 'perfect' spot, far away from the entrance.
If I have an electric car it'd drive me totally nuts if I had to charge on the run, as then you've basically no option but to have you car sardined up against others. That's the stuff of my nightmares.
I can park in a totally empty car park and come back to find somebody parked right next to me. 😞

I can park in a totally empty car park and come back to find somebody parked right next to me. 😞
Yes - I’m always amazed how people like to join a group or start a group of parked cars when there is so much space elsewhere. Is it a pack thing…?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom