Tesla charging in Ireland

ChrisTheTaurean

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Does anyone know if Tesla chargers in Ireland, often at the applegreen sites, are open to non-Tesla, I have just acquired a pre-facelift MG5 Exclusive 2022 and trying to plan a long trip there in a couple of weeks. I have the Tesla app loaded but hesitant to subscribe at the 10.99 a month…

Last I head the MG5 is still blocked from all Tesla chargers everywhere. Incompatibility issues.

Does anyone know if Tesla chargers in Ireland, often at the applegreen sites, are open to non-Tesla, I have just acquired a pre-facelift MG5 Exclusive 2022 and trying to plan a long trip there in a couple of weeks. I have the Tesla app loaded but hesitant to subscribe at the 10.99 a month…
Only a selected few chargers here are open to non-Tesla cars, check their website for details.

There is another discussion regarding compatibility

I'm not sure I'd rely on them. I've linked an Irish Dec 2023 link that says only 2 superchargers are available. Other options include Ecars, Applegreen, EasyGo & CircleK.

Tesla says other EVs can now use some of its Irish Superchargers (Dec 2023)

However, after the initial announcement, Tesla Ireland issued a partial retraction, saying that in fact only two Irish Supercharger sites would be open to other EVs. Those will be the eight-charger site at Athenry, Co Galway and the six-charger site at Enfield, Co Meath.
Those wishing to use one of the two Superchargers will need to download the Tesla mobile phone app and sign up for a Tesla account. Supercharging costs vary throughout the day, from a low of 57c per kWh at off-peak times, to a high of 64c per kWh at high demand times. These compare very favourably with the cost of using an ESB or Ionity high-speed charging point.

You can get Supercharging for less. There’s the option of a €12.99 monthly Supercharging Membership, which brings the per-kWh cost down to 42c off-peak, and 47c peak and which could be worth the price for regular users.

Having had a good scour through plugshare(my favourite of all the EV charger finders) and circleK in Ireland seems to be streets ahead of applegreen on charging infra but they don’t seem to make much of it in their media. And they’re often off the main motorways but many circleK stations have multiple ccs chargers so this looks like the best avenue at the moment. Mainly IONITY chargers from what I’ve seen so easy to use with or without an app - tap n go.

Visiting Ireland and I was frustrated by applegreen reliance on Tesla superchargers which are useless for non-Tesla’s - having looked into it at some length I can now report, CircleK appear to be running away ahead of applegreen in EV charging provision. They tend to be a wee bit off the motorways (unlike applegreen) but with a bit of planning they’re definitely more numerous with, more often than not, 4 or more ccs chargers on a given site.
Good to know if you’re visiting the Emerald Isle.
IONITY seems to be the main circlek EV charging partner.

Having had a good scour through plugshare(my favourite of all the EV charger finders) and circleK in Ireland seems to be streets ahead of applegreen on charging infra but they don’t seem to make much of it in their media. And they’re often off the main motorways but many circleK stations have multiple ccs chargers so this looks like the best avenue at the moment. Mainly IONITY chargers from what I’ve seen so easy to use with or without an app - tap n go.

Visiting Ireland and I was frustrated by applegreen reliance on Tesla superchargers which are useless for non-Tesla’s - having looked into it at some length I can now report, CircleK appear to be running away ahead of applegreen in EV charging provision. They tend to be a wee bit off the motorways (unlike applegreen) but with a bit of planning they’re definitely more numerous with, more often than not, 4 or more ccs chargers on a given site.
Good to know if you’re visiting the Emerald Isle.
IONITY seems to be the main circlek EV charging partner.
Another large provider of CCS chargers here in the Republic are ESB (e-car connect app) you need to sign up but can use a pay as you go plan.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom