Tesla pilot problems

Robf

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Whistleblower highlighting issues with auto pilot including phantom braking. Seems to be a problem with Tesla as well. Although they have supplied data that says its much safer when swithced on than off.

I mean it is awfully impressive technology but if you watch recent "self-driving" videos there is absolutely no way you could let it drive you somewhere unattended, lots and lots of edge cases where it goes wrong.

And that's on big wide US roads, no chance at all of it coping with the Devon lanes or avoiding the potholes we have.

I still have my doubts this approach will get there - we are many years past the date Musk was certain it would be done. Looks like diminishing returns to me.

I have no doubt cars will be self-driving one day - but like all the AI hype at the moment, the reality is way overblown.

Even actual people cannot drive. I pulled up to a traffic lights today and the guy behind me pulled up to the right, on the wrong side of the road. Just waited there like everything was ok. Then cars started coming and luckily they were looking where they were going. He had to move his car back on to the correct side of the road.

If humans can't get it right how long will robots take

Last edited by a moderator:
He had to move his car back on to the correct side of the road.

If humans can't get it right how long will robots take
For Teslas, they learn from humans driving. What could possibly go wrong? 😯

Hopefully that fellow had a low driving score (Tesla rates your driving), and so the training algorithm would have given low to no weight to his driving.

Last edited:
Driving down the M1 today at 3pm in the darkening murk there was a land rover with no lights on zipping back and forth between cars and lanes and everyone else was aware of the car and ensuring no accidents happened. Would an Autocar recognise the errant behaviour over time and prepare/compensate. Not given today's technology.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back