The 12v battery!

keithw64

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. Had my MG5 EV now for a couple of weeks and loving the relaxing driving experience it delivers...once I had turned off the lane assist self steering which was alarming!
Only just got around to lifting the bonnet yesterday as clearly not much to see or do under there and a friend was curious. We noticed it has a conventional 12v battery too which I am guessing supplies power to the dash and ancillaries before switching the car on ('starting' an electric car in the traditional manner of an ICE car doesn't sound quite right to me).
Does anyone know if the 12v battery charges up when the car is plugged in and if not what would the affect of a flat 12v battery be???
Thanks

The 12v battery is charged off the HV battery.
Flat 12v means it won't go into ready mode and won't start.

Yeh the 12v battery is still a key component on EV's

I've read in other forums that sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the 12v battery is required to reset the system after fast charging issues encountered so as a precaution I've also packed a 10mm spanner although not had to resort to this yet. Not sure if any MG5's have encountered this.

The 12v definitely charges while charging the HV battery on AC, not sure about on DC (I think it does ?)

The 12v also charges when the car is in ready mode when not connected to a charger, it I charged from the HV battery.

The 12v runs all the same things the 12v runs on an ICE car.
Starts the car, lights, wipers, heated seats, mirrors, etc. etc. etc. etc........

Not too many 400v light bulbs around :D

Yeh the 12v battery is still a key component on EV's

I've read in other forums that sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the 12v battery is required to reset the system after fast charging issues encountered so as a precaution I've also packed a 10mm spanner although not had to resort to this yet. Not sure if any MG5's have encountered this.
I've had the rapid charge fault twice. Luckily both times the car has reset after less then 10 minutes without resorting to the 10mm spanner.

Is the radio any good? My present one which is a Dad One. Keeps cutting out then come back on on a different station🤬

Depends on your expectations. Better than any previous active owned but then the newest was a 2007 Mini Cooper.

Biggest complaint I have on the SR is the touch screen being slow to react which is a pain when trying to enter an address on the satnav.

Is the radio any good? My present one which is a Dad One. Keeps cutting out then come back on on a different station🤬
I thought we'd solved that in another thread, your chosen DAB station isn't available on FM when the DAB signal is lost.

You may be able to turn off auto switching in the menu 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom