The absolute joy that is rapid charging with ZS Mk2 Standard Range!

I charge at home only, due to never doing journeys over 200 miles there and back, and so benefit significantly from the savings vs my old petrol Hyundai Tucson.
Despite the improved acceleration as well, I have to agree with KJI a little, there's something about the ZS that doesn't quite tick the box for me either.

I charge at home only, due to never doing journeys over 200 miles there and back, and so benefit significantly from the savings vs my old petrol Hyundai Tucson.
Despite the improved acceleration as well, I have to agree with KJI a little, there's something about the ZS that doesn't quite tick the box for me either.
Image for some I guess is everything !

I drive my ZS TLR and love it, with all its quirks: plastic, smells , strange software and heat through the glass in the Summer.

mainly for the big increase of three times the charge rate over the ZS, ...
Didn’t know the MG4 charged at over 240kW? 🤣

Original poster reported 35 to 50 kW.

I’ve noted a max of 137 to 141 kW on my MG4.

3 times 35 = 105
3 times 50 = 150

So I think three times is a fair enough single digit claim.

Datasheet values do not equate to real world experience.

My wife owns a Aust/NZ ZS EV Mk2 SR 2023 MY with the LFP battery and it certainly never charges at 80kW as your comment suggests. I struggle to see more than 50 kW maybe one time it was above 60 kW but I’m happy when I see mid 40s depending on SOC.

On the other hand my MG4 Essence (Trophy) 64 NMC laps it up at peak rates to about 55% SOC.

Of course the peak charge rate is not the whole story, it’s how long that can be maintained. Maybe you could present some figures from the datasheets on the avergae miles per minute of charging time? That would be instructive as it would highlight not just peak charge rate, but average rate and battery capacity.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is designed to be an object of desire. The car that it’s based on is a 1.5 petrol cheap jacked up hatchback that used to sell for £17k. Expectations need to be kept in check.

Well, I enjoy driving my Mk1 ZS EV. Enough gadgets to use, and as I charge at home, and am retired, it provides very economical driving.

And my last but one car was a Mazda RX8, a supercar, but 25p per mile takes some of the smile off your face...:D

I drive my ZS TLR and love it, with all its quirks: plastic, smells , strange software and heat through the glass in the Summer.
the smell is the missing of the heat pump you smell for a moment at the beginning of the car heating the heat coil.
As for the windows on the Gen 2, it has the same UV protection as all other modern cars.
and finally the software.. look at volkswagen or audi. After 4 years, Volkswagen still does not have the software of the ID3 and ID4 in order, so I think the MG still manages it very neatly👍

You misunderstood me. Nothing about the image of the car. I've not driven any other EVs, so can't compare, but compared to my previous petrol Hyundai Tucson, and before that a diesel Mazda CX5, it feels a lot less sturdy. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

You misunderstood me. Nothing about the image of the car. I've not driven any other EVs, so can't compare, but compared to my previous petrol Hyundai Tucson, and before that a diesel Mazda CX5, it feels a lot less sturdy. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
It’s a 17k car with a 13k EV premium. Allowances need to be made.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom