The car is always start in AUTO mode and not remember EV

Piupiu777

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

According to the manual, the car suppose to remember the last mode EV/AUTO and to set it when you start the car.
So If we close the car when EV was enable and come back later so when we start it EV suppose be enable but for my car it's always start in AUTO.

I checked this issue with several car owners and it's look like that for some of them the car remember the last mode and for the others (like me) it's not and always start in AUTO.

It's not related to wheather because i checked it in summer and winter and the beahivor was the same. Also it's not related to charger and if the car was plug before bacause it's happen to me after night of charging and also in the middle of the day when the car was not connected to the charger but with at least 50% energy.

I want to my local customers service and they don't know how to fix to. Somebody maybe know what is the reason that it not remembered the last mode for me?

Thanks

If the heating temperature set on car is higher than the outside then the engine will start.

I have the heating off currently and use the heated seat instead and car will remain in EV mode.

I also have to drive with one widow open a little to avoid misting. Not ideal but not sure if this issue could be fixed in a future software update.

it's not my issue, my issue is when i first start the car it's always start on auto althouhh if last night i was shut it down on ev.

Also if im driving to a store on EV with full battery and then i park the car for an hour and come back to the car it's start again with AUTO and i need to press manually EV.

Its happen to me in any temperature , summer with 25-30 or winter with 16-18..
in my case its not related to temperature

it's not my issue, my issue is when i first start the car it's always start on auto althouhh if last night i was shut it down on ev.

Also if im driving to a store on EV with full battery and then i park the car for an hour and come back to the car it's start again with AUTO and i need to press manually EV.

Its happen to me in any temperature , summer with 25-30 or winter with 16-18..
in my case its not related to temperature
I suspect the system will assume it's going to need heat until it finds out it doesn't, if you see what I mean. Try turning the heater off on the touch screen, I am running mine like that at the moment in the UK with temperatures between 0 and around 10 C and it remembers it was in EV, overnight. What did catch me out was that using the physical demister button under the screen turns the heater back on, which in turn starts the petrol engine.

I suspect the system will assume it's going to need heat until it finds out it doesn't, if you see what I mean. Try turning the heater off on the touch screen, I am running mine like that at the moment in the UK with temperatures between 0 and around 10 C and it remembers it was in EV, overnight. What did catch me out was that using the physical demister button under the screen turns the heater back on, which in turn starts the petrol engine.

hmmm could be related but also when i start the car with AC off it's also start on AUTO.

which setting do you think i should set in order to get it on with EV?

When I park my MG in the EV mode and all parameters are the same when pressing the start button again, EV (green light bar) remains active. After a battery charge however a reset to Auto Hybrid takes place.

When I park my MG in the EV mode and all parameters are the same when pressing the start button again, EV (green light bar) remains active. After a battery charge however a reset to Auto Hybrid takes place.

so after charging it's start with AUTO and without charging its start in EV?

So still no solution to have the car start with EV 😕

I can start in EV no problem but as long as the heating is switched off. So most of the time I switch the heating off on the previous trip prior to turning off the car.

With heating off, just switch the car on as normal then press the EV button straight after. The car will start in EV.

Have you tried turning of the climate system (long press of climate shortcut key) before turning the car off. I had no issues with EV mode doing this.
hmmm long press?? i turn AC off with one press i didnt know that there is something with long press

i disabled all AC buttons normaly and still it's not helping and the car is starting with AUTO mode.

hmmm long press?? i turn AC off with one press i didnt know that there is something with long press

i disabled all AC buttons normaly and still it's not helping and the car is starting with AUTO mode.

Turn the whole HVAC system off. Start car then press EV button straight away, it will start in EV and also switch the EV mode regardless whether it was in Auto mode.

There might be a second but long winded way to do it if the HVAC was left switched on on the last trip. I think it might work. Don’t press the foot brake but press the stop/start button twice, this should start the electrical system on the car with dash and infotainment system coming on but the car doesn’t start yet. Now turn the HVAC off and press the EV button to switch to EV mode. After that press the brake and start the car as normal.

Last edited:
Maybe one of the following? as noted in the manual:

"Only when the following conditions are met can the driver
make a forced selection of “EV” mode for pure electric
driving through EV switch:
• High-voltage battery power is sufficient;
• A/C system has no heating function request;
• The bonnet is fully closed;
• The hybrid system has no stored faults or codes related
to EV (pure electric) mode;
• The vehicle speed is not higher than the maximum speed
limit allowed in the pure electric mode.
In “EV” mode, if the conditions are not met, the system
will automatically exit and enter “AUTO” mode
"

Maybe one of the following? as noted in the manual:

"Only when the following conditions are met can the driver
make a forced selection of “EV” mode for pure electric
driving through EV switch:
• High-voltage battery power is sufficient;
• A/C system has no heating function request;
• The bonnet is fully closed;
• The hybrid system has no stored faults or codes related
to EV (pure electric) mode;
• The vehicle speed is not higher than the maximum speed
limit allowed in the pure electric mode.
In “EV” mode, if the conditions are not met, the system
will automatically exit and enter “AUTO” mode
"

my problem is not starting with EV, i can manually change to EV but i want it to start on EV if i shut it down on EV

my problem is not starting with EV, i can manually change to EV but i want it to start on EV if i shut it down on EV

Quite simple sometimes you just can’t. Sometimes it will switch to auto mode next time you start the car (probably due to some of the reasons given above). You can still start in EV without the engine running even initially in auto mode using the method above described, no big deal really.

Quite simple sometimes you just can’t. Sometimes it will switch to auto mode next time you start the car (probably due to some of the reasons given above). You can still start in EV without the engine running even initially in auto mode using the method above described, no big deal really.
Yeah but for me no matter what it won't start in EV, strange...

Long pressing the shortcut key completely turns off/on the climate system. So do this before you turn the car off. The next time you get in the car, as long as no other conditions are missing, the car will start in EV mode.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom