• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

The frunk!

Neil

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
the frunk all in the car for you ready to fit !

Attachments

• E770794F-7C06-4255-8FE5-E134B5D6B3E8.jpeg
    E770794F-7C06-4255-8FE5-E134B5D6B3E8.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 3AD0A830-D6A6-4BD5-A83A-512056130F64.jpeg
    3AD0A830-D6A6-4BD5-A83A-512056130F64.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 2,000
It's been suggested before, though I can't quickly find it.

My concern is that there are still hot things under the bonnet (nowhere as hot as in an ICE car, of course, but still quite hot) which could melt the foam, or the restricted air flow might reduce the cooling of the charger or motor controller that are under there.

In colder climates, it's possibly fine.

James has a frunk in his MG5, hes done 50000mls and this year been pretty hot (40c) and he hasn't had any problems, see 0:45 in this video 'How long do EV batteries last'. I had a frunk in my MG ZS EV and had no problems. I may fit one permanently in my MG5, I have made one to hang under the frame work that's already there under the cover, and when I tried it out it was okay, I shall strengthen my design and will be re-fitting in the spring.

I wrangled a frunk (or froot) in mine. Gen2 SR. A £4 plastic clear storage container from Home Bargains and bolted with small wooden reinforcements so it is secure, plus it has a lid. Job done.

I saw those frunks on sale from Ireland but they were outside my budget plus there is still a bit of wasted space. If I need to remove mine, (going in for a service etc) it takes me less than a minute.

I guess it isn't particularly aesthetic but it's not normally seen and has quite a large capacity. My bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut didn't melt in there even in the summer!

Attachments

• Car3 (6000 x 4500) (600 x 450).jpg
    Car3 (6000 x 4500) (600 x 450).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,116
It's been suggested before, though I can't quickly find it.

My concern is that there are still hot things under the bonnet (nowhere as hot as in an ICE car, of course, but still quite hot) which could melt the foam, or the restricted air flow might reduce the cooling of the charger or motor controller that are under there.

In colder climates, it's possibly fine.
I don't think there's anything in the bonnet that generate heat .. the motor is at the back, the battery is under the car .. the radiator is way in front ..

I don't think there's anything in the bonnet that generate heat .. the motor is at the back, the battery is under the car .. the radiator is way in front ..
If you have been charging for a number of hours on an type2 AC EVSE then the car's charger does get quite warm.

It must be risky to insert anything that disrupts airflow from the normal designed by the manufacturer. The problem is that any increase in heat will not have any quick result but the damage could only turn up some years later and be very expensive to repair.

Whiskey.
Can you post a picture with the box empty looking down so that I can see how you fixed it showing the added wooden braces please? Got the box but a bit jittery on how to fix it so that it doesn’t rub on any pipes.
Ta in advance

Whiskey.
Can you post a picture with the box empty looking down so that I can see how you fixed it showing the added wooden braces please? Got the box but a bit jittery on how to fix it so that it doesn’t rub on any pipes.
Ta in advance
Sure, here it is. Won't win any beauty awards but it isn't seen when loaded.
Where you can see the two bolts, underneath between the plastic box and the two threaded towers is another large washer to give added clearance from the component below.
I did have cause to remove it completely when it went in for it's first service and it took me all of three minutes including emptying it.
.Car1 (6000 x 4500) (600 x 450).jpg

Pardon me but what’s the square hole for?
I have some Really Useful co. Boxes like this with nice handles for locking the lid. Might give it a try with one of these and see how it goes.

What size thread and how long are the bolts?

The reason I ask is I will have to order them online as can’t leave the wife too long as she is proper poorly.
🙏.

Last edited:
This could be handy when the boot is full of stuff.

How tall is the plastic box?

'How long do EV batteries last'

Unrelated to this thread but when people ask me that I say over one million kms.

Automotive grade LFP at 80% depth of discharge can give about 4000 cycles. Hypothetically that's 256kms*4000 = 1,024,000kms

Last edited:
What size thread and how long are the bolts?
This could be handy when the boot is full of stuff.

How tall is the plastic box?
I believe the bolts are M6 and are roughly 30mm long. Got them from Halfords together with the large washers. There is also one washer between the box and the threaded tower. See pic.
The box without lid is roughly 18cm tall (with lid another 2cm) and the box doesn't foul anything.
As a reminder, the box was bought from Home Bargains for about £4-5. The wife bought these for her own use but I nicked one!

Attachments

• 20230407_105453.jpg
    20230407_105453.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 556
  • 20230407_105537.jpg
    20230407_105537.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 514
This is as far as I have got
Placed 32ltr box in position. Used a perm marker pen to mark the slot for the cable and the two support holes. Placed box on a bit of scrap wood under the support holes to stop plastic from splitting. Small drill first then one large enough to take the main bolts. Then drilled 4 holes to enable me to get a jigsaw blade. (T1b) in to cut the oblong shape so not to foul the cable. Gentley file off the rough edges. Just have to wait for the bolts and washer to come then fit it. Then find 2 pieces of wood to support the ends. keep it in place with 2 dome head wood screws and washers Or cup heads with countersink screws photos to follow. I am going to put washers everywhere to stop the plastic box from splitting.

Note the all important 10mm spanner😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_8424.jpeg
    IMG_8424.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_8425.jpeg