The future of EVs?

It hits a sweet spot for city dwellers for sure but for many, the ability (or lack therof) to charge at home will remain a significant factor in deciding whether to make the jump from ICE to EV.
It's a tricky one - within half a mile of my house I have 2x 50kWh (CCS/CHAdeMO/Type2) rapids and two dual socket 22kW next to these. Literally 100m around the corner are another four dual 22kWh units. Half a mile away is another two dual 22kWh units. And then 4 PodPoint sockets at Tesco half a mile in other direction.

Admittedly, I am in the suburbs of a major city - but I feel the real limitation to EV adoption for a lot of people isn't always the lack of chargers at home, it's the mind shift to drop the car at a public car park (or eventually a lamp post charger) for a few hours through the day or overnight. But these need to be available and not blocked by cars sitting at 100%.

Sure, we need 10x (most likely, 50x) the number of chargers and prices that are fair and comparable. I pay 18.55p per kWh at home - PodPoint rapid at Lidl are 26p per kWh, this is the sort of pricing, or cheaper, needed. Tariffs like Octopus at 5p per kWh are great, but if someone could charge a 30kWh car for £7.50 and it gives them up to 150 miles city driving - that could be the best part of a month's city motoring.

I'm rambling a little now - I just think these small, cheap, small battery cars without all the complex features are great!

It hits a sweet spot for city dwellers for sure but for many, the ability (or lack therof) to charge at home will remain a significant factor in deciding whether to make the jump from ICE to EV.
I think the plan is most of those folk will be using public transport, ride-sharing etc. If we are really honest public charging for those without the ability to charge at home isn't going to work when all cars are electric. It's a pain in the ass now, and only tolerable (and affordable) alongside charging from home for the most part. If I lived in a big city like London I wouldn't even bother with a car. Car sharing for me if I wanted to venture beyond the tube.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom