The 'Three Cars' icon

I'm guessing it's the same on the MG5 Kithmo. Not clear what this brings you though, it seems the same as ACC to me - maintains space between you and the car in front.
I have absolutely no idea what traffic jam assist does and no idea what the difference is between MG Pilot and ACC with LKA. The stick to activate them is also in a silly position behind the wheel where you can't see it, too distracting, so I don't use them.

I had a drive today after watching Mike's video. MG Pilot seems like an better-er version of ACC+LKA, so I think (I've not decided yet) that I'll turn off any lane keeping options and just use MGP when I want/need to.

Regarding roundabouts, MGP is defintately not a full self-driving mode - it doesn't seem to have any understanding of traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc, so needs to be used with caution and 'supervision'. I suspect its really intended for motorways etc rather than bimbling around town or country roads.

I think it's just easier to drive the car myself than to supervise it trying to drive itself. ;)
ACC is handy but embarrassing in stop start traffic due to the loud graunching noise the brakes make as it applies them.
LKA is just a nuisance, it lets you go slightly over the line before it warns you and it fights you for the steering if, god forbid, you try to overtake something with out indicating (e.g. parked cars no other traffic about).

LKA is just a nuisance, it lets you go slightly over the line before it warns you and it fights you for the steering if, god forbid, you try to overtake something with out indicating (e.g. parked cars no other traffic about).
That sounds more like lane departure warning(?). I found LKA was quite good at keeping it twixt the lines, and even steering around A/B-road bends. Although it need a bit of practice at taking the racing line :D

But yeah, I had to steer around a parked car today. No one else around, so I didn't indicate, and LKA berated me for crossing the white line. :rolleyes:

I think you're right, I probably had the LDW on instead of the LKA.
I've confused myself even more by looking in the manual and found another one, Lane departure prevention (LDP) which seems to do exactly the same as LKA ??? 😟

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I think it's just easier to drive the car myself than to supervise it trying to drive itself. ;)
ACC is handy but embarrassing in stop start traffic due to the loud graunching noise the brakes make as it applies them.

Definitely no noise on my brakes when being applied! You wanna get that looked at!

I think it's definitely different strokes for different folks. For me, putting on MG Pilot on the motorway is the most relaxing driving experience I have had. I don't want to drive on the M25, it's full of bellends... So I let the car do it instead

Definitely no noise on my brakes when being applied! You wanna get that looked at!

I think it's definitely different strokes for different folks. For me, putting on MG Pilot on the motorway is the most relaxing driving experience I have had. I don't want to drive on the M25, it's full of bellends... So I let the car do it instead
I forgot to mention the noise is on my ZS, the missus's MG5 SR doesn't have ACC.
Apparently it's normal. It's been over a year since I last used it and the brakes may have bedded in, I'll try it again.

Ive been using this, its a little bit scary, especially on a roundabout, you need to have your wits about you. The car began to launch onto the roundabout as a car was coming round to my right.
not suitable for roundabouts as it works on proximity of other vehicles not bends

It's the lane assist (not lane warning, that's different). Switched on by pulling the small left stalk (the one for cruise control) twice in short succession towards you. It is different to the lane warning in so far as it will actively try to keep you in lane by providing slight steering input to keep you in middle of lane. Only works if road has good clear markings. If markings not clear or absent it will switch off. In reality that is almost all the time, telling you that it switched off by message "MG Pilot off". Imo not very useful and more of a distraction than assistance. It's all in the manual.

It's the lane assist (not lane warning, that's different). Switched on by pulling the small left stalk (the one for cruise control) twice in short succession towards you. It is different to the lane warning in so far as it will actively try to keep you in lane by providing slight steering input to keep you in middle of lane. Only works if road has good clear markings. If markings not clear or absent it will switch off. In reality that is almost all the time, telling you that it switched off by message "MG Pilot off". Imo not very useful and more of a distraction than assistance. It's all in the manual.
It must depend on which roads you drive as I have the exact opposite experience - LKA works more often than not for me - so long as you’re above the 37mph threshold. As it’s part of MG Pilot & I keep the ACC stalk in the position close to me (rather than positioned away from me which disables), it’s always on if going fast enough.

Sounds like the whole MG Pilot suite might be much more of a personal thing than I imagined as we’ve experienced both the LKA and ACC differently today. Which is fine though as they’re easy enough to enable/disable. Shame there’s not an option to revert to ‘normal’ cruise control rather than adaptive version as I’m sure some folks would prefer the version from the Standard Range model.

The ACC kinda throws a wobbly if you have to pull out close behind a car to get into the outside lane (frequently have to during rush hour on a major A road)

As a human you know the car is going faster and the gap will increase without you backing off, the ACC however backs off or even brakes much to the displeasure of the person behind you, to drop you back to the desired follow distance. Unless the road is fairly clear, I don't bother to engage it.

I set mine to either 65mph or 70mph on motorway (depending on my mood and urgency) so rarely get close to other cars - but tend to override it with the throttle if it slows me when occasionally pulling out into fast lane. It’s usually good at recognising cars cutting into your lane too abruptly if they’re going faster though.

Therein lies the answer. But it does take some concentration and anticipation. as well as familiarity with how it will work if you don't intervene.
Yeah - otherwise you end up sitting behind someone at 50mph or pulling out into fast lane and slowing down as too close to car in front, but otherwise waiting too long and any gap closes by speeding cars approaching - but, use these as an aid and intervene when appropriate and they work well.

It must depend on which roads you drive as I have the exact opposite experience - LKA works more often than not for me - so long as you’re above the 37mph threshold. As it’s part of MG Pilot & I keep the ACC stalk in the position close to me (rather than positioned away from me which disables), it’s always on if going fast enough.

Sounds like the whole MG Pilot suite might be much more of a personal thing than I imagined as we’ve experienced both the LKA and ACC differently today. Which is fine though as they’re easy enough to enable/disable. Shame there’s not an option to revert to ‘normal’ cruise control rather than adaptive version as I’m sure some folks would prefer the version from the Standard Range model.
Oh, you are definitely right there, these assistance modes are extremely dependent on the roads, where I drive most of the time, the markings are near to inexistent as they are minor roads. Actually all external factors can make them into extremely different experiences, they work better ot worse depending on the type and intensity of traffic as well as on the type and state of roads. Add to that that different drivers expect and want different things and is is certainly clear that we all will have our own experiences with the MG Pilot/ACC and like/dislike it accordingly.
I freely admit to being an absolute control freak, as my main mode of transportation is motorbikes. There you still control manually when you want to switch off the indicator and, with exception of the most expensive bikes, electronic gadgets and assistance are basically inexistent. There are quite a few times when I even would like to switch off the ABS system on a bike as I know that e.g. on loose gravel I can brake better without it. So, I am naturally a hesitant user of anything that wants to take over some of the control. A selfdriving car is an absolute horror vision for me 😂.

... but by and large insurers prefer them, much less likely to be distracted and have a little shunt, or somehow else misjudge their own ability. :)

All great until the collision avoidance thinks the traffic island and car in front slowing to turn left are the same ome object and slams on unexpectedly.

I am pending an ADAS recalibration following windscreen replacement, which may possibly be a contributing factor, to my wakeup this morning.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom