The White cars DO rust

Mgkev

Established Member
Reaction score
I had my 1st service this week where the car passed it’s corrosion inspection. However, having a nose around under the bonnet I’ve noticed the tell-tell signs of rust appearing on the edges of the painted bodywork. So far it is contained to the bolt on parts like the front crash bar and the two horn brackets.
A quick visit to my local motorist centre to buy some Waxoyl was the job of the day!
I recon the white cars having a single coat of paint maybe more susceptible where as metallics have at least two and a clear coat.

My red front wings have no red on the back end of the wings where they bolt to the body, I can see grey through the gap when the door is open. Anyone else notice this ?

My red front wings have no red on the back end of the wings where they bolt to the body, I can see grey through the gap when the door is open. Anyone else notice this ?
Ever since the advent of the use of galvanised steel a couple of decades ago now, most cars have pretty much just been dipped in a primer e-coat. Then the visible outside surfaces only are painted. Its normal for the rest of the car to have no paint, or just some overspray on it these days.

@Paulie68 you are correct about today’s painting methods. However, I was surprised to see the rust appearing just like the YouTube video on a one year old car.

Although all the sheet metal is galvanised, I suspect the bolted on crash bar might not be. Mine has a slight scratch, presumably done during assembly and it has slight brown rust forming, if it was galvanised it wouldn't be.

Its amazing what car manufacturers skimp on. My last car, Mitsubishi Outlander, had the same, the front crash bar wasn't galvanised, just primed, and rusted up in short order!

This thread might be useful. Chrispydoc is the guru on waxoyle and rust!

Yes - I posted it on a different thread. I’m unsure what the standard is here - is this normal? It would be good to have comparisons. I know I looked at a 3 year old Ford Focus once and was quite surprised at how much rust there was.

Yes they are all like this.

This was through the Go Green Auto’s channel. Really informative and in a recent upload a Nissan Leaf was reviewed. The Leaf was in much better shape so I think owners of the ZS who are in it for the long term should consider investing in preventative work.

This was through the Go Green Auto’s channel. Really informative and in a recent upload a Nissan Leaf was reviewed. The Leaf was in much better shape so I think owners of the ZS who are in it for the long term should consider investing in preventative work.
I was thinking that - not knowing much about it, does anyone know of a measure that lasts a while without costing a bomb?

I usually get rid at between 3 and 5 years old, so as long as it's still in one piece then I'll be happy.
When I say one piece, I don't mean like this.
rustedaway.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom