There's no way to charge a 2021 MG5 to 80%?

This is exactly what I do too (I have the same car as the OP).

My wallbox (EO Mini Pro 2) only allows me to set the charge time in 30min segments so I've made it easy on myself and estimage the charge to be around 12%/hr or 6%/30mins with a 7kW charger.
The ev.energy app can control the mini pro 2, although with that one it either tries to use off-peak electricity or you set the time you want the car ready by and it tries to charge when the grid is greenest (if you don't have a cheap rate).

I did have some trouble getting mine registered on their cloud backend but support did sort that eventually.

Do what I do, plug it in every night to top it up to 100% and be done with it! No hassle, job done. I'll be going back to petrol when my cheap rate ends in July, so any impact on battery life won't be my problem 🤪
I charge mine when I need it and to 100% 2 or 3 times a week. 99% of charging is done at home so gets a steady charge over that time.
Life’s too short to be worrying about losing a couple of percent over the lifetime of battery . The car is sitting at 42 miles just now. By the time we go about our day it’s ready to be plugged in overnight ready to go again for the week.

Charging protocol with regards to the use of A/C or D/C units, the use of a wall boxes over a Granny unit and the use of extension leads etc, have and will, always become the subject of a lot of debate on the forum.
As will charging to different levels of SOC and the long term effects of HV battery SOH.
The same applies in all cases and in all maters really.
It purely down the the individual, what is right for some usage cases, clearly don’t work in other cases.
A major factor maybe linked to how long you intend to retain the car and how you funded it in the first place.
A person who is leasing ( renting ) the car, will have little regard for the long term life of the HV battery of course.
Similar with a PCP deal, because as we know almost nobody pays off the ballon payment and keeps the car at the end of the term.
Had then intended to do so, they may have funded it differently ?.
Therefore it could be suggested that lease car receive little sympathy in their early years of life.
The same applies to both fossil and EV’s.
Plenty of these relatively young X lease cars usually end up passing through the big action sites in mass.
Some clean examples are retained by the main dealer, but they are very selective.
Speaking purely on a personal basis, I would never touch / purchase one of these vehicles.
They get driven within an inch of their life’s in many cases and this will come back to bite you after the warranty has expired !.
A lot of my friends and relatives have cars on either lease or PCP’s and I see the way they are driven and abused, no thanks !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom