They’re finally gone (hub caps)

LordEightBit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Long time lurker, seen a few people take the plunge.

Those horrendous hub caps are gone, and the wheels underneath are allowed to breathe. Taking them off was easy enough, gentle pressure to remove them.

Disappointed with the quality of the alloys underneath but I’m tempted to get them refurbed an Anthracite colour similar to those on my 325i (pics attached). Albeit, the car is a lease and although I have permission to do it, the car is a lease. Which makes it a lease. Make sense? It’s not my car! But I do have it for 3 years and I like a personal touch.

I’ve ordered MG centre caps from eBay, here’s hoping they fit and my calculations are correct. I will update with photos of the centre caps when they arrive.

Presuming the inevitable question about range. No, no noticeable difference for me and my daily commute is 70 miles. It’s all motorway miles so the mileage isn’t great off of the bat, but it gets me around happily.

Anyone else taking the plunge and letting the cars breathe?

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1034.jpeg

(Vanity shot of the Beemer just for anyone interested, I snap it on Instagram if anyone cares @ne92rd )
IMG_0855.jpeg

I'd have thought lease wise as long as you stick the covers back on when you return it, and the alloys don't look like they've been angle-ground, you'll be fine.

@LordEightBit.
Now you have exposed the alloy, what about painting them brake callipers to contrast against the silver alloys and the body colour of the car ?.
Red maybe a bit too loud .......... Blue would pop or what about good old gloss black to pick up on the accent colours of the body trim ?.
I think that would look really good.
At the moment a bit too much silver in the wheel area, it needs a contrast colour.
What do you think ?.
Easy job right now as the calliper bodies are still in great order, with no rust.

Hi all,

Long time lurker, seen a few people take the plunge.

Those horrendous hub caps are gone, and the wheels underneath are allowed to breathe. Taking them off was easy enough, gentle pressure to remove them.

Disappointed with the quality of the alloys underneath but I’m tempted to get them refurbed an Anthracite colour similar to those on my 325i (pics attached). Albeit, the car is a lease and although I have permission to do it, the car is a lease. Which makes it a lease. Make sense? It’s not my car! But I do have it for 3 years and I like a personal touch.

I’ve ordered MG centre caps from eBay, here’s hoping they fit and my calculations are correct. I will update with photos of the centre caps when they arrive.

Presuming the inevitable question about range. No, no noticeable difference for me and my daily commute is 70 miles. It’s all motorway miles so the mileage isn’t great off of the bat, but it gets me around happily.

Anyone else taking the plunge and letting the cars breathe?

View attachment 15416
View attachment 15415
(Vanity shot of the Beemer just for anyone interested, I snap it on Instagram if anyone cares @ne92rd )
View attachment 15417
Meh

@LordEightBit.
Now you have exposed the alloy, what about painting them brake callipers to contrast against the silver alloys and the body colour of the car ?.
Red maybe a bit too loud .......... Blue would pop or what about good old gloss black to pick up on the accent colours of the body trim ?.
I think that would look really good.
At the moment a bit too much silver in the wheel area, it needs a contrast colour.
What do you think ?.
Easy job right now as the calliper bodies are still in great order, with no rust.
It’s a great idea and I do agree, a lot of silver going on! Black callipers would break it up nicely I think, I might pop the wheels off and give it a shot myself

The original trims come off fairly easily.
With a pair gloves on, put your fingers either side of a trim spoke, pull until it pops out, repeat on the remaining 4 spokes.
No levers or screwdrivers required. At least I can access the valves now.

Those wheels look exactly like the wheels I had on my 2006 Ford Mondeo Mk3.
If they're the same PCD and offset it opens up a wide choice of aftermarket alloys.

Those wheels look exactly like the wheels I had on my 2006 Ford Mondeo Mk3.
If they're the same PCD and offset it opens up a wide choice of aftermarket alloys.

I believe that the PCD is the same a VW/Audi, not sure about the bore and offset though

I'm sure that some people were using VW space savers

I believe that the PCD is the same a VW/Audi, not sure about the bore and offset though

I'm sure that some people were using VW space savers
Ah yes, now you mention it, I remember someone saying they used a VW space saver.

The original trims come off fairly easily.

With a pair gloves on, put your fingers either side of a trim spoke, pull until it pops out, repeat on the remaining 4 spokes.

No levers or screwdrivers required. At least I can access the valves now.
I had trouble getting to the valves as well, but when I took a cover off I found out the covers are marked inside as to where the valve should go. they had all been put on wrongly by the dealer, once I put them on correctly the valve was a lot easier to access.

I'm wondering whether to paint the wheel covers, so I've done it on a photo first.
View attachment 16373
What do people think? Okay, or too much?
Personally I would not paint the covers in the body colour as Im not sure it enhances the look.
Perhaps if they were a graphite colour they would look less like covers.
I'm still happy without them and can always put them back on to revert to OEM.

I'm wondering whether to paint the wheel covers, so I've done it on a photo first.
View attachment 16373
What do people think? Okay, or too much?
For me ......... Yeah, too much.
I personally like the silver contrast against the blue body colour myself.
It's personal taste though ??.
Black would look terrible, making the car look more under wheeled.
Stick with silver & black covers, it's the best compromise.
Or go TOTAL cave man and switch out the rims for a larger "J" size to give the car a more sporty look and help fill up the space in them wheel arches.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom