Thieves targetting EV charging cables

Sounds like ill informed scaremongering to me. Have never seen corroborated reports of this actually happening to anyone.

It will happen, but it will happen to anything worth any sort of money that is left unsecured. If your car auto locks it you won't have any issue. But ye, leave something outside worth £150, its always a possibility it'll get taken, same with if you leave a drill, phone, ipad, ladders outside... it potentially could get taken.

Having seen this thread last night had a little think and the idea showed below may help it’s not fool proof but I would think it might be a deterrent and useful when using public change points where you have to use you own type1/2 chademo or any type for that matter even a granny cable.
what you do is find the towing eye on the vehicle screw-in the eye bolt if needed get a padlock the one shown has an alarm in built into it, plug the cable into the vehicle pass the cable over the towing eye and fit the lock,
Hope this helps the type of lock used here would be very loud in a multi storey car park pictures below hope this idea might be of use to someone
1540D302-CAAA-41FD-AD2E-B403FBCD2934.jpeg600A3EEA-D318-4F3B-AEE6-CFFEC56AF05D.jpeg72575333-648B-4107-8B5A-1D216FE711F8.jpeg
Les

I think there is a good business opportunity here for someone to develop a lock that can be safely clamped around a section of the type 2 cable, like two halves of a clam shell protected by rubber tube on the inside, then the cable from this clamp arrangement can be freely moved along the cable in order to attach it to either part of the structure of the car, or even the charging post some how ??.

I think there is a good business opportunity here for someone to develop a lock that can be safely clamped around a section of the type 2 cable, like two halves of a clam shell protected by rubber tube on the inside, then the cable from this clamp arrangement can be freely moved along the cable in order to attach it to either part of the structure of the car, or even the charging post some how ??.
Yeh could be done but I bet it would be a lot more costly than a simple padlock but I can see I am having to get a patten on this ASAP
LOL

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom