• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Think I missed a trick.....

Billym44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
So yesterday I took possession of my HS Excite PHEV. The car is running well, looking nice etc but just a couple of little things are grating on me, and it's my own fault for not checking on these before.
For some years I've been driving Ford Focus's and got very used to the fact that you had voice control for your phone on bluetooth and even music selection. I never realised how much I'd taken this for granted until I find that, although there is a button on the steering wheel for voice control, and the manual even talks about it, this button is completely useless. No voice control appears to exist. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's not the same as having totally hands free phone calls. Similarly the Focus used to ping up any text message i received on the screen and had a stock of standard replies. No text message facility in this car.....
And then the DAB radio, or rather the lack of it. When the sales guy was describing the radio and said you can have FM or AM I thought I'd gone back to the 80's!! He reckons it's due to lack of chips but if you plug this cable (from the glove compartment) into the USB you can then get DAB. At some point (he said - although goodness knows when) there'll be a call back for all these cars to have chips fitted for DAB. That can't come soon enough.
So whilst the car is driving well and I'm able to get into EV mode ok, these little annoyances with the "entertainment" system have taken the gloss off it a little, and I'm left wondering If I'll regret this for the next four years. Would the extra for a PHEV Ford Kuga have been worth it? A bit annoyed with myself for not checking all this beforehand, and the salesman for not referring to it (but why would he??)
If anyone has any info on the voice control, or the DAB chip situation I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks all.

I received my car with dan chip...so all good here...

And if U have an android phone , U can use the button for voice commanding your phone, setup gps or play music from Deezer,Spotify or YouTube......

I received my car with dan chip...so all good here...

And if U have an android phone , U can use the button for voice commanding your phone, setup gps or play music from Deezer,Spotify or YouTube......
Glad you got a DAB chip. Hopefully others will be following. As to the music I tend to play mine off a 32GB USB stick. Haven't tried the Android Auto yet......

Put the 32 gigs of music on your Android phone , use (or buy like I did) the app "Pulsar+" and you'll be able to easily.play music on your car stereo or voice search it from the pulsar app.

Most of the voice control and messaging functionality you're missing can be achieved via Google Auto if you have an Android phone and a data enabled USB lead. I assume there's an Apple equivalent too. Way less than the £7K to £10k extra for the Kuga.

Most of the voice control and messaging functionality you're missing can be achieved via Google Auto if you have an Android phone and a data enabled USB lead. I assume there's an Apple equivalent too. Way less than the £7K to £10k extra for the Kuga.
Many thanks. That's two of you suggested I use Android Auto, so I'll get a lead and give it a go.

So yesterday I took possession of my HS Excite PHEV. The car is running well, looking nice etc but just a couple of little things are grating on me, and it's my own fault for not checking on these before.
For some years I've been driving Ford Focus's and got very used to the fact that you had voice control for your phone on bluetooth and even music selection. I never realised how much I'd taken this for granted until I find that, although there is a button on the steering wheel for voice control, and the manual even talks about it, this button is completely useless. No voice control appears to exist. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's not the same as having totally hands free phone calls. Similarly the Focus used to ping up any text message i received on the screen and had a stock of standard replies. No text message facility in this car.....
And then the DAB radio, or rather the lack of it. When the sales guy was describing the radio and said you can have FM or AM I thought I'd gone back to the 80's!! He reckons it's due to lack of chips but if you plug this cable (from the glove compartment) into the USB you can then get DAB. At some point (he said - although goodness knows when) there'll be a call back for all these cars to have chips fitted for DAB. That can't come soon enough.
So whilst the car is driving well and I'm able to get into EV mode ok, these little annoyances with the "entertainment" system have taken the gloss off it a little, and I'm left wondering If I'll regret this for the next four years. Would the extra for a PHEV Ford Kuga have been worth it? A bit annoyed with myself for not checking all this beforehand, and the salesman for not referring to it (but why would he??)
If anyone has any info on the voice control, or the DAB chip situation I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks all.
Hi,
I have had my hs exclusive for 9 months now and I absolutely love it!! You will soon get used to its little idiosyncrasies.
For your voice commands and for your sat nave connect your phone with the best quality cable you can buy ( search Amazon android auto cable and read reviews) use this system it’s unbeatable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom