Think MG Dealership swapped my Alloy Wheels? Anyone had this experience before?

skynett

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I dropped my car off yesterday at the dealership for an update to the software due to reported low pressure being reported in my rear Tyre (for the second time) only to get a call that this was due to a puncture in the said tyre, I had 2 options repair or replace I chose to repair. I picked up my car thi morning only to see my wheel covered in very deep scratches which doesn't look fresh either, Unfortunately I didn't do a walk around the car when I dropped it off but I am certain I didnt bash my wheel against anything.

Anyone experienced something like this before?

IMG_20230818_143004.jpg

I see that I am certain this wasn't me, unfortunately because I didnt have pictures when I dropped off the car, I believe this would be difficult to prove.
Unfortunately I think you are correct. You could always ask your dealer if they know anything about it. The worse that can happen is they say tough but they might help as a gesture of good will.

Hi

Looking at the marks they look older than a few days ?

Either a wheel has been swapped or you may have scrunched the kerb. You would have heard it?

The only other check you could do is take the wheel off and look for a date stamp in the casting and compare it with others on the car? If there is a difference smell a rat !

That's not the wheel BTW - it's the aero wheel cover.
Its not the aero cover its definitely the alloy wheels

Hi

Looking at the marks they look older than a few days ?

Either a wheel has been swapped or you may have scrunched the kerb. You would have heard it?

The only other check you could do is take the wheel off and look for a date stamp in the casting and compare it with others on the car? If there is a difference smell a rat !
Do you mean the actual Wheel itself?

Do you mean the actual Wheel itself?
The aluminium rim is not covered the the plastic cover. Take the aero covers off and compare with the others and the condition of the wheel bolts. If the dealer was prepared to swop the wheels they would never put their hands up to it. Time to claim on your wheel insurance I guess!

That is some serious kerb rash to the alloy rim okay.
Who ever was driving the car at the time, would have certainly felt that alright.
Likely repairable ( by machining ) though.
The basic alloys like these are less expensive to repair than the diamond cut alloys.
The wheel is likely to have a production date code on the inside that you could check ?.
When the puncture repair was requested, I am a little surprised that the dealer did not take a photo of the damage or had taken a photo of the rim prior to commencing the job TBH ?.

I took the wheel cover off and cannot find any dates anywhere on the wheel itself nor the cover, do I need to remove the wheel itself from the car to find the dates?

IMG_20230818_161458.jpg

You can see the tyre has definitely been off the wheel, as you can see the tyre soap around the edge of the rim. The damage appears to be around the entire wheel, if you kerbed it, it would be part of the rim. It would be a very bad kerbing to damage the rim all the way round. I wonder if when they took the tyre off, put it back on, they used the tyre machine in steel rim mode, and not alloy wheel mode. They would certainly damage the rim if they did.

You can see the tyre has definitely been off the wheel, as you can see the tyre soap around the edge of the rim. The damage appears to be around the entire wheel, if you kerbed it, it would be part of the rim. It would be a very bad kerbing to damage the rim all the way round. I wonder if when they took the tyre off, put it back on, they used the tyre machine in steel rim mode, and not alloy wheel mode. They would certainly damage the rim if they did.
Would be possible to kerb the wheel so badly not a scratch on the Aero cover at all?

If you look at the damage, it’s not a rip around the rim ( i know I’ve done it enough times ), but appears to be on a radius, pushed from the outside into the centre!!

Or am I seeing what is not there?!

As an aside I notice you have some nice metal MG valve caps. Might be an idea once in a while just putting a smear of silicon grease on the threads as there have been cases of metal valve caps corroding onto the valve stems making them impossible to remove.
I had similar on my previous car and had to break them off. Fortunately, the valve stem was much stronger than the valve cap. Back to plastic caps for me.

I had similar on my previous car and had to break them off. Fortunately, the valve stem was much stronger than the valve cap. Back to plastic caps for me.
Previous owner had fitted metal valve caps to my daughter's Polo. Looked lovely, but had to take one wheel to the tyre fitters to get the valve replaced as it was corroded solid, and valve stem got damaged in my efforts to remove.

If you're certain you haven't kerbed it I'd take it back to the dealers and say, "I think you've given me someone else's wheel, mine was not kerbed". There's the possibility that there was another 4 (or ZS ?) having a tyre change at the same time and they got the wheels mixed up.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back